SOTD : Saturday 23 to Friday 29 of October of 2021

Ah good old Thomas Aquinas. I never saw his badger balancing act but he did have a few good things to say

Pray thee, spare thyself at times: for it becomes a wise man sometimes to relax the high pressure of his attention to work.

Friendship is the source of the greatest pleasures, and without friends even the most agreeable pursuits become tedious.

There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.

Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.

Think I might actually try that last one out.

Life is finally starting to piece itself together so from a couple of days back I am more than happy to present you with the shave themed 'Manchester United 0 - Liverpool 5'

20211023_185857.jpg

Naby Keita (5') - Ikon B1
Diogo Jota (13') - Polsilver Lodz
Mo Salah (38') - Yaqi Dandelion
Mo Salah (45'+5) - ADP Collezione
Mo Salah (50') - Faena aftershave balm

If you happen to be a Manchester United fan then you are more than welcome to leave me an 'angry', a 'sad' or a 'You are a pillock' emoji. But I shall be the one laughing.

This shave started off with a great start (until the 5th minute) when I realised the blade was spent (Manchester United) and needed a change. So it was sent off the shaving pitch (Paul Pogba 60') and a new blade brought in to play (something United couldn't do). Spent after its second outing? A bad show (Manchester United). A hat trick of passes later (Mo Salah) and one brilliant finish and a great result. Back of the net (on five occasions)

And as a belated birthday treat for @Duffers782 you can have my usual present. Its those trashy 'Bed in' girls

Prep: Razorock pre barba
Bowl: Ceramiche di Sicilia for Zenith
Brush: Mühle Rocca Birch Silvertip
Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing verde
Razor: Mühle R95 Rocca Birch
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
AS: Aniga Barbearia de Bairro Ribeira Porto

SOTD_20211026.jpg

Best Regards
Marco

Tuesday 26th October

AM-JKLUSYfeeRS3jlRCh342hb_FtDykvuMmEwDKyLofqz0o5U64XJzpcux-UbkzkGr_5J0HSwn1uvCW9ieBtnK5G-cDOg_AbQymkJZF7O6Qjq-aioTDpu_V51kbY_qNUvUfODkJmV_J_cNCKk9_nBLb5o35scw=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Coty Avocado Shaving Bowl (Vintage)
Mohawk 5-341 w/PurTech Synthetic 22mm
Ever-Ready 1914 (Late Model)
GEM by Personna (2) Shimmed
4711 Rose Cologne (as Aftershave)

Gosh! That was most peculiar ...

My vintage Coty Avocado Shaving Bowl arrived today and I just had to use it straight away. The plastic? gelatine? protective sleeve on the top of the soap had long lost its structure, making its removal long-winded and tedious but sustained effort with a pair of tweezers and I got there. From a test lather this morning, my goodness it pulls up a tremendous clotted cream lather in no time. That was test lathered in my hand; on the face, it literally stopped me in my tracks!

That could so easily be any good, modern artisinal soap.

When I first bagged this soap, I thought avocado was a peculiar ingredient for a soap from the 1950s - is it the scent, or an ingredient? Inside the lid is a little piece of writing that informs us that it is indeed using avocado oil as an ingredient! And, yes, on the face it feels like ... well, Wickham's 1912 for want of a better comparison.

On that, there may be some reverse sense to what I'm saying there as there is some mythology that Wickham's 1912 is based on an old shaving soap recipe. I was sceptical of that as Wickham's 1912 has oils such as avocado in ... and surely they didn't use those in vintage soap. Well, it seems that they did!

I found this interesting article which points at Coty being the first cosmetics company to use avocado oil and that goes back to the early 1930s with the first use in a shaving soap towards the end of the 1930s. Fascinating!

It's a seriously good soap and to me, the beholder, really the best of both worlds as it embodies the best of the modern artisinal with vintage, which is vintage ... so it's good, whatever < tongue in cheek.

The rest of the kit was lovely - my gorgeous reknotted Mohawk brush with what I'm calling "High Mountain" fibre was so soft, pulling up that gorgeous clotted cream lather; the late model 1914 and a good splash of (women's) 4711 Rose Cologne as aftershave. Lovely job! Lovely job all round.

Razor = Timeless Bronze
Blade = Winner Platinum ( 3 )
Brush = Whisky Barrel 24mm High Mountain Badger
Soap = Buddha Wood ( Wickhams )
Matching Splash
Balm = Nivea Skin Energy

7FEDBC38-2BEF-485B-BEFC-F8761492F011.jpegWell Decided not to have a shave tonight
so this is the shave i didn’t have :ROFLMAO:
I couldn’t help myself
i held off until 9 tonight then thought ffffffffug it
i’m having a shave.
Took me a while to decide what to use but eventually got there.
The Star of the show for me is the brush
quite possibly the lightest brush i have and a first time use and man it was so soft, no breaking in needed, just a good old clean before i used it.
No scritching at all so i can’t wait to see what it’s like after a dozen or so uses.
The Soap for me done everything you would want in a soap,
The slickness, post shave feel was top drawer & everything you would expect from wickhams really.
i put the scent at a 4-5 and for me i would prefer it slightly stronger but nevertheless it’s a class soap.
Stay Safe Lads
The Virus Is Still Out There

Tuesday 26th October

AM-JKLUSYfeeRS3jlRCh342hb_FtDykvuMmEwDKyLofqz0o5U64XJzpcux-UbkzkGr_5J0HSwn1uvCW9ieBtnK5G-cDOg_AbQymkJZF7O6Qjq-aioTDpu_V51kbY_qNUvUfODkJmV_J_cNCKk9_nBLb5o35scw=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Coty Avocado Shaving Bowl (Vintage)
Mohawk 5-341 w/PurTech Synthetic 22mm
Ever-Ready 1914 (Late Model)
GEM by Personna (2) Shimmed
4711 Rose Cologne (as Aftershave)

Gosh! That was most peculiar ...

My vintage Coty Avocado Shaving Bowl arrived today and I just had to use it straight away. The plastic? gelatine? protective sleeve on the top of the soap had long lost its structure, making its removal long-winded and tedious but sustained effort with a pair of tweezers and I got there. From a test lather this morning, my goodness it pulls up a tremendous clotted cream lather in no time. That was test lathered in my hand; on the face, it literally stopped me in my tracks!

That could so easily be any good, modern artisinal soap.

When I first bagged this soap, I thought avocado was a peculiar ingredient for a soap from the 1950s - is it the scent, or an ingredient? Inside the lid is a little piece of writing that informs us that it is indeed using avocado oil as an ingredient! And, yes, on the face it feels like ... well, Wickham's 1912 for want of a better comparison.

On that, there may be some reverse sense to what I'm saying there as there is some mythology that Wickham's 1912 is based on an old shaving soap recipe. I was sceptical of that as Wickham's 1912 has oils such as avocado in ... and surely they didn't use those in vintage soap. Well, it seems that they did!

I found this interesting article which points at Coty being the first cosmetics company to use avocado oil and that goes back to the early 1930s with the first use in a shaving soap towards the end of the 1930s. Fascinating!

It's a seriously good soap and to me, the beholder, really the best of both worlds as it embodies the best of the modern artisinal with vintage, which is vintage ... so it's good, whatever < tongue in cheek.

The rest of the kit was lovely - my gorgeous reknotted Mohawk brush with what I'm calling "High Mountain" fibre was so soft, pulling up that gorgeous clotted cream lather; the late model 1914 and a good splash of (women's) 4711 Rose Cologne as aftershave. Lovely job! Lovely job all round.
Brilliant write up & thanks for sharing

20211026_143618.jpg
SOTD 26th Oct
Brush - Yaqi Giotto 24mm
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Sanskrit
Razor - Supply V2- 3 dot Ultra Close plate
Blade- Gem Personna SSC #8
Post - M&S Harvard Blue Harbour ASL & Balm
Nearly 3 days growth dispatched with no problems at all.
This soap is my favourite scent EVER. I've never seen a balm or lotion to accompany the soap.
A very, very good shave that.
Take care all and enjoy your shaves

Wed 27 Kamisori SR SOTD
Soap Barrister & Mann Seville
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful 2 Band Badger
Razor NOS Henkotsu Kamisori
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M Seville Splash
This is a wonderful soap! Love the scent and the creamy and very slick lather too...
I'm enjoying this Kamisori razor even more. The edge feels really mild, smooth, and very comfortable but yet efficient. Very maneuverable and forgiving for a new straight razor. So far no blood has been spilled despite some mistakes. 3+1passess for a dfs finish. Aftershaves were just awesome.
20211027_142759.jpg

Cracking on with some space based work, thought I'd use the DG Apogee lathered with the Yaqi mysterious space. Razor and blade, same set up with the NOS Perma sharp.
I'm 100% positive that I have loaded far too much. Because it's quite a soft soap, I think I should take a small scoop out in future. I must have used a good 10 shaves worth this morning as I delved and swooped the brush - I can say Stoke isn't missing its idiot this morning.
I'm finding the DG soap always seems a little on the sloppy side, hence the extra loading, but despite this and the soap flying all over the place, it's slick, cushioned and I get a super shave.
Lesson learned!
Have a good day.
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_20211027_085345__01.jpg
    IMG_20211027_085345__01.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom