SotD: Saturday 19th April to Friday 25th April 2014

Oh crikey, I forgot it was St. George's Day! Haven't bothered shaving but I can't not do justice to that wee part of my blood now that Sir B has reminded me. My English Lavender Super Smooth for Wickham Soap Co. arrived today (thanks Darron) so I reckon a shower and shave is in order. I will use:

Gillette Rocket HD
Vintage English Wilkie
Vulfix Bodger
Wickham English Lavender SS
Barbershop Bay Rum
Astral
James Bronnley Original EdT

That's about as English as I can make it.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave - sensitive
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Razor: Gillette Red Tip 1955
Blade: Personna 74 (4)
After: Barbershop Bay Rum, Coral Skin Food

By George this Stirling soap makes a fantastic lather! Takes a bit of work but the payoff is amazing, especially with a synthetic brush.

I never normally go for more than 3 shaves with a blade but for this one I'm seeing how long it will last. Transferring it from my ATT to the Red Tip gave a completely different result. The Red Tip gives a mild shave, even had to stop my self applying pressure it's so light. Great result though, not as close as the ATT but DFS nonetheless.
I haven't felt a degradation in the blade yet, but time will tell.

SOTD140423_zpsb7214598.jpg

Merkur 37c Slant
Lab Blue [3]
Omega Boar
Bond Active Cream
How good is this Slant?!? Truly awesome, so easy and effortlessly smooth 2 pass shave.
I must get me one of these.... It could be the ONE for me

IMG_5910.JPG

... another loaner from UKRob, this time a smiler! :D

Hot Towel
Erasmic Shaving Soap
Pure Badger
Straight 4/8?
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Old Spice Aftershave

Face Lathered
Two Pass - Both WTG

Measuring something like 4/8, this lightly smiling blade is one which I've been a little fearful of ... straight blades, fine, smiling blades could be unpredictable, but ... I was wrong and took to this quite happily.

The soap was good, thank you to Chris Zacharek for generously dropping this into a purchase of razors. Absolutely nothing like the cream, but distinctively "Erasmic" in the scent. Enjoyed. Cheers!

Two passes, both WTG. Well, WTG and a little mucking around some complicated areas. I wanted a shave. I got a shave and a couple of fiddly areas that annoy me if I don't get them shaved also got shaved.

Not enormously close, but absolutely presentable and just the one nick under my jawline, gone with the alum wash. With my next shave with this blade, I'll go across the grain as well.

One step at a time ...

Face wash with Pears soap
Joseph Rodgers and Sons "The Norfolk Razor" in ivory
Neep Jubilee
Nanny's Gentleman's shaving soap - French Lavender
Proraso Green A/S

St Georges day shave….ish

WEDNESDAY EVENING

Pre: Hot rinse
Soap: Nannys Nutmeg Spice hard soap
Brush: Coates Fitzwilliam
Razor: Ikon Slant
Blade: Personna 74

Really nice shaving with such a stunning looking razor.

Managed to align the blade without any problems and got a very close shave followed by the sting of the Veg. Can't ask any more than that.

The blades came from an ex-Colonial enabler and they are mighty fine (and aren't made any more - grrrr!)

Iridium Super
Long comb New
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Old Spice shaving soap
Floid Vigorosso

The Professor Blighty's Grapewood is all but gone. Just a thin, wide halo of soap remaining. I fancied a change from the last week or so and the Old Spice didn't disappoint.

Wednesday

Tabac
Semogue 2012 SE
iKon Slant
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Tabac AS

A quick couple of passes, one down and one up. Slant more than capable of delivering a smooth shave with minimal fuss.

Pre: Proraso green pre-shave cream
Cream: Castle Forbes Lime
Brush: Rooney 2XL 28mm "Heritage" 2-band
Razor: EJ DE89 with Templ8 custom handle
Blade: PolSilver stainless NOS (3)

Face lathered the CF Lime today. This brush is just too big to bowl-lather. Excellent 3-pass shave again. This blade is getting smoother and smoother each day.
_20140424_063830.JPG

Greetings

Thursday 24th April 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Blade: Gem Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue 1800 Boar
Soap: Speick Stick grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A wonderfully close shave.

Regards
Dick.

DSC05492.JPG

Thursday

LEA Menthol cream
Semogue 2012 SE
iKon Slant
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Pinaud Vanilla AS

A lovely two pass shave, smooth and comfortable. I've nearly used up all of the Pinaud Vanilla, need to decide what to replace it with.

Prep: Hot Water
Soap: Martin De Candre Fougere
Brush: Simpson M7 Butterscotch 2 band in Silvertip
Razor: Bijou De France 5/8
Moustache Razor : The Mab Dwarf Razor
AS: Guerlain Vetiver
EDT: Guerlain Vetiver

image.php

image.php

Thursday

Fatip Grande Chrome
Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (Yellow)
Semogue 620 Boar Brush
Mama Bear's Unscented Shaving Soap (through which I am staring to see the bottom of the bowl).

Nice.

Somebody in the queue at the petrol station was wearing Blenheim Bouquet, or something that smelled very much like it - but it wasn't me. Made me realise what a distinctive scent it is. May have to acquire some. Again.

Ian

Tall_Paul said:
WEDNESDAY EVENING

Pre: Hot rinse
Soap: Nannys Nutmeg Spice hard soap
Brush: Coates Fitzwilliam
Razor: Ikon Slant
Blade: Personna 74

Really nice shaving with such a stunning looking razor.

Managed to align the blade without any problems and got a very close shave followed by the sting of the Veg. Can't ask any more than that.

The blades came from an ex-Colonial enabler and they are mighty fine (and aren't made any more - grrrr!)

Hey, I guess there's room on the Personna 74 bandwagon for one more :)

I've just had my 5th shave with mine and can say it does still feel like a new blade as I haven't noticed much difference from the first shave, in fact it's improving.

Are you going to see how many shaves you can get out if it?

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom