SOTD : Saturday 15th May to Friday 21st May 2021.

View attachment 70140

Having seen Mark from Friendship Shaving’s latest video, I realised two things. First, I have all of the items he used in his shave and two, I’ve not used Venture from The Captain’s Choice for an awfully long time. I therefore decided to replicate his shave. The only thing I couldn’t exactly replicate was the blade. He used a Tartra blade, which I don’t have, but I found an unused half Voskhod sitting in my blade box.

However, I'm sad to report that for the only second time since I started DE (SE) shaving, I had to abort the shave.

My first pass with the grain was okay but the moment I started going across or against the grain, the shave became as rough as a badger’s arse and it caused numerous small nicks to appear. I thought the head may have become loose but it was fine. I checked the blade, which didn’t seem damaged. I can't explain what went wrong, perhaps my angle but as my friend, a Doctor says; "If it hurts doing something, stop doing it."

I put the Twig aside and used my Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353 to finish off the second and make the third pass.

Looking back over my records, I see that I’ve used the Twig five times and it has only given me one good shave. It's received the lowest rating of all my current razors, and so its time with me is over. Which is a shame, as I like the idea of using DE blades as SE blades, for economical reasons but if it doesn’t work for me, perhaps it will work for someone else.

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Soap: Captain’s Choice Venture
Brush: Yaqi Aqua Synthetic
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Captain’s Choice Venture balm
Bowl: Face Lather

ABORTED AT START OF 2nd PASS:

Razor: Leaf Twig Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Soap: Captain’s Choice Venture
Brush: Yaqi Aqua Synthetic
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Captain’s Choice Venture balm
Bowl: Face Lather
I have to admit, I don’t like the look of that Twig thing at all...

Sotd-19-05-21.jpg

Today -

razor - Karve alu - C plate
blade - Feather (3)
soap - Valobra Fougere - tallow
brush - Semogue 2000 boar
post - witch hazel
a/s - RazoRock - Santa Maria del Fiore
balm - none needed
scent - Homme de Caron edt.

Oh - the book? As a young man, I had the pleasure of meeting Sir Fitz and taking a dram with him on a couple of occasions. His approach to pouring malt whisky was much like his approach to conducting battle - health and safety? What's that? One feared for asking for a splash of water in the glass. If you haven't read it - rip-roaring stuff - parachuting behind enemy lines wearing a kilt, losing all his kit apart from a compass and a spoon but still managing to meet up with Tito's partisans in Nazi occupied Yugoslavia. Great stuff - even better anecdotes in person - 'so I said to Stalin.'

Enjoy your shaves - one and all - I.

SoTd
Had another lovely shave this evening with the Koraat..another run out with the dusy professional love the scent on this one and have some more on the way..thought I may as well stock up while it’s available I believe from what I’ve read this too has been discontinued now..feeling super smooth and refreshed
721669D1-46F1-47F0-A190-EA562F46D367.jpeg

Wednesday 19th May

ACtC-3fAw8y2G30c6r5ETqE06FJppRV6F2Omp3MU_MffIgcYizaqUr4CkbkjQnngx72WYJuhNlMnw-pyqtEzV_0t7gVvom0DWTsr58znBgXeHUpvJbIwXIUTpLD0qMVuMJD1AhxHZY4U5mMHg5GRyPp-FPFI6w=s800

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Vie Long Shaving Stick (Grated)
Semogue SOC Butterscotch (Boar)
Yaqi AC w/KCG Handle
Feather ProGuard (1)
Pinaud Clubman Original Aftershave

Switching over to my other Yaqi AC head and dropped in a Feather ProGuard ...

Again, not as sharp as the Feather Professional from the off, but a good deal smoother. I had to resist the temptation to press a little harder, given the less overt face feel of the blade. Two passes because it was smooth running and enjoyable.

The KCG handle is a very good match for this head!

Late one tonight!

Razor- Frankentech
Blade - Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
Soap- Signature Soaps Capra
Brush- EJ STF
Post- Speick ASL, Lea 3 in 1 balm

My first time using one of these blades and it was pretty good.
Not sure why I chose to use it, to be honest, as the last few shaves I've had using the Astra in this razor have been as good they get.
This shave wasn't as good as I've had with the Astra but it felt similar-ish; sharp and smooth enough- ish.
Close enough for Rock n Roll!
IMG-1358.jpg

It has stops which block the corners from touching your skin, why "rub the sharp corners off the GEM Blade"?
Errr?
The clue is in the post Toby
I always rub the sharp corners off the GEM Blade and ensure the line up is spot on centre as in the past it did have a tendency to scratch if the angle was out a little or i caught the septum going XTG on the lip, No issues at all today.
Does this not happen when you use yours?

Thu 20 OTR SOTD
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Chronos
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Karve Brass SB-D
Blade Derby Premium New & 1st Use
Post & Aftershaves Alum + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Hyaluronic + TGS Chronos
Very nice soap! Good scent with creamy and slick lather...great stuff!!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was good, smooth, and comfortable in 3passes without any issues for a mostly bbs finish. Nice ok blade. Aftershaves were awesome!
20210520_110408.jpg

SOTD : 20th May 2021.

100.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Nivea Men ~ Power Fresh Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Pears ~ Transparent Bar Soap With Mint Extracts. + Nuage Menthol shaving Oil.
Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget.
Face Lather.
Lather : Scottish Fine Shaving Soap.
Blade: Gillette Nacet. (D4)
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils. + 3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./The Real Shaving Co.~ Post Shave Soothing Balm./Denim Original ASL.

Greetings,

Early morning shave,

last outing of the Gillette Nacet which has been consistently good with every shave throughout the week, today again was no exception i feel as though this blade could give me another 2 shaves at least, but i will retire it as four close error-free shaves is enough for me from any DE blade....The Gillette Nacet is another blade i that have haven't added to my blade rotation for quite a while and i have completely forgotten how good these blades are...Out of the Russian blades i've revisited so far the Nacet are my favourite providing a superb trio of smoothness efficiency, and longevity...A great blade.

A Enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing to the shave off with a generous splash of Denim Original ASL.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Thur 20th May.
Omega 11137 boar
Faena Sandalwood
Occams Hiram Commander -2 dot
Schick Proline [ 2 ]
Puig Quorum A/S Lotion

As I have too many AC/SE Razors I keep thinkinking I must get rid of this heavyweight, and then I use it. All the weight seems to disappear once in the hand, and the Razor is quite agile. Love the way it clears the cheeks, and it is pretty good around the neck too.The Faena is a bit tired scent wise, but the lather is so luxurious that is a delight to work with. All in all a fun Shave today, and the finish not too shabby either. Might well be a Hawk V3 that goes, but I do have two !!

IMG_1478.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom