SOTD : Saturday 15th May to Friday 21st May 2021.

19/05/21
Vintage Wednesday
Pre: Shower, Cold water face rinse
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Culmak Plus 1950
Soap: Vintage Cussons 1950's
Razor: Kampfe Star HR-14A - Jayaruh Box #23 & handle (1902)
Blade: GEM Stainless PTFE (5)
Post shave: Cold water splash ,TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Lime Balm and Lotion
Aftershave: Vintage Ferd. Mülhens 4711 EDC
Wk20 (5a).JPG
A very close shave today with the wonderful Kampfe "lather catcher", this set adopted from across the pond and made up by Jayaruh.
I always rub the sharp corners off the GEM Blade and ensure the line up is spot on centre as in the past it did have a tendency to scratch if the angle was out a little or i caught the septum going XTG on the lip, No issues at all today.
The lightest of touches required, 3 full passes for a very nice finish, close, but not too close, i did use the Alum block today with very little indication, so all good.
A really nice post shave routine to finish off a very enjoyable shave.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All

PS, Brian @culcreuch did your Kampfe get another chance of an outing?

Last edited:
Wed 19th May

The Grosvenor 404mixed
Williams Mug soap
Occams Enoch
Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG ( 2 )
Williams Aqua Velva A/S lotion

I interrupted my trials with the Yaqi Excalibur for a quick Shave with. The Enoch. With a guarded blade it is extremely forgiving, so my quick Shave worked out quite well, and though not as close as yesterday was more than acceptable

4899B9D4-4E5B-49BC-ABC5-9911A826E487.jpeg

Prep: Shower with Baxter’s of California Daily face wash.
Pre: Baxter’s of California Shave Tonic
Soap: A&E Barbiere Sofisticato
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Razor: Gillette Fatboy E4
Blade: Astra SP
Post: Alum, Baxter’s of California Shave Tonic and Baxter’s aftershave balm.
My first shave with A&E BS and I love their take on the barber shop, it’s sweeter and almost smells of Italian Pastries, (my family are originally from the region Sorrento region). It has jumped up to one of my top soaps straight away for the nostalgia value it brings me.
Now why tell you that, well I was either daydreaming of Italian cakes, or distracted by the latest phfilms I was half watching, or flicking on the Yaqi sale while shaving but I massively took my eye off the ball when shaving today! My chin looks like I tried to start carving my own Hollywood movie star dimple and I have a nice line right down the middle of it! Completely my fault and not a reflection on the razor or equipment just how tired and distracted I was! A lesson learnt for me!

Attachments

• 3B2695D1-3B09-4F99-BA5C-3C0FD4D99901.jpeg
    3B2695D1-3B09-4F99-BA5C-3C0FD4D99901.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2
IMG_20210518_1sm.jpg

Having seen Mark from Friendship Shaving’s latest video, I realised two things. First, I have all of the items he used in his shave and two, I’ve not used Venture from The Captain’s Choice for an awfully long time. I therefore decided to replicate his shave. The only thing I couldn’t exactly replicate was the blade. He used a Tartra blade, which I don’t have, but I found an unused half Voskhod sitting in my blade box.

However, I'm sad to report that for the only second time since I started DE (SE) shaving, I had to abort the shave.

My first pass with the grain was okay but the moment I started going across or against the grain, the shave became as rough as a badger’s arse and it caused numerous small nicks to appear. I thought the head may have become loose but it was fine. I checked the blade, which didn’t seem damaged. I can't explain what went wrong, perhaps my angle but as my friend, a Doctor says; "If it hurts doing something, stop doing it."

I put the Twig aside and used my Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353 to finish off the second and make the third pass.

Looking back over my records, I see that I’ve used the Twig five times and it has only given me one good shave. It's received the lowest rating of all my current razors, and so its time with me is over. Which is a shame, as I like the idea of using DE blades as SE blades, for economical reasons but if it doesn’t work for me, perhaps it will work for someone else.

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Soap: Captain’s Choice Venture
Brush: Yaqi Aqua Synthetic
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Captain’s Choice Venture balm
Bowl: Face Lather

ABORTED AT START OF 2nd PASS:

Razor: Leaf Twig Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353
Blade: Voskhod (2)

b5gaP9J.jpg

Let me add that the 2nd shave with this blade in the GC .68 was simply perfect! (y)

View attachment 70140

Having seen Mark from Friendship Shaving’s latest video, I realised two things. First, I have all of the items he used in his shave and two, I’ve not used Venture from The Captain’s Choice for an awfully long time. I therefore decided to replicate his shave. The only thing I couldn’t exactly replicate was the blade. He used a Tartra blade, which I don’t have, but I found an unused half Voskhod sitting in my blade box.

However, I'm sad to report that for the only second time since I started DE (SE) shaving, I had to abort the shave.

My first pass with the grain was okay but the moment I started going across or against the grain, the shave became as rough as a badger’s arse and it caused numerous small nicks to appear. I thought the head may have become loose but it was fine. I checked the blade, which didn’t seem damaged. I can't explain what went wrong, perhaps my angle but as my friend, a Doctor says; "If it hurts doing something, stop doing it."

I put the Twig aside and used my Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353 to finish off the second and make the third pass.

Looking back over my records, I see that I’ve used the Twig five times and it has only given me one good shave. It's received the lowest rating of all my current razors, and so its time with me is over. Which is a shame, as I like the idea of using DE blades as SE blades, for economical reasons but if it doesn’t work for me, perhaps it will work for someone else.

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Voskhod (1)

ABORTED AT START OF 2nd PASS:

Razor: Leaf Twig Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Life's too short for bad shaves - sell it and treat yourself to something else.

I can offer you 0.05% discount at the Emporium to help make that new purchase even sweeter!

19/05/21
Vintage Wednesday
View attachment 70137
A very close shave today with the wonderful Kampfe "lather catcher", this set adopted from across the pond and made up by Jayaruh.
I always rub the sharp corners off the GEM Blade and ensure the line up is spot on centre as in the past it did have a tenancy to scratch if the angle was out a little or i caught the septum going XTG on the lip, No issues at all today.
The lightest of touches required, 3 full passes for a very nice finish, close, but not too close, i did use the Alum block today with very little indication, so all good.

homer drool GIF

19/05/21
Vintage Wednesday
View attachment 70137
I always rub the sharp corners off the GEM Blade and ensure the line up is spot on centre as in the past it did have a tenancy to scratch if the angle was out a little or i caught the septum going XTG on the lip, No issues at all today.

It has stops which block the corners from touching your skin, why "rub the sharp corners off the GEM Blade"?

IMG_20210519_190607_294.jpg

SOTD

Pre: Hot Shower
Soap: Løthur Grooming Dave
Brush: PAA Peregrino Synthetic
Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6
Blade: Vikings Sword (1)
A/S: Myrsol Formula C
Balm: Nivea Men Original

A new soap from a new UK artisan. Løthur Grooming have launched with 3 lovely scents. Really nice, simple packaging and a very clean looking soap that is on the softer side.

Dave is a blend of sweet tea notes, with iris and powdery notes. It's not too strongly scented, but once lathered, the scent does increase slightly. This is a tallow based soap and it's thirsty. Adding enough water results in a thick, rich creamy lather with a great sheen to it. I like the lighter scent as there's less chance of irritation on the face. The slickness is good and the cushion feels great.

The PAA line of synthetic brushes are fantastic value for money and look and feel great in use. I've not used the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 in a while and when i paired it with the Vikings sword blade, made for a great shave. A lapse in concentration landed me with one small nick on the chin that the styptic took care of.

The Myrsol formula C was a great pairing to the soap and good old Nivea men original finished the shave off nicely.
Great to see another new UK soap artisan making quality soaps.

Back
Top Bottom