SOTD: Saturday 15th- Friday 21st April 2017

Saturday morning;

Snapseed.jpg

A decent shave. Tried a different tack, started north to south and towards the grain. Second pass went across the grain with as much stretching as possible. Managed to get pretty close in most places but turned out a tad red. Not too uncomfortable! One of the smoothest shaves I've had but I'll need to concentrate on using less pressure. I could happily use only this razor.

Happy Easter weekend all!

Note: shoe is for illustration purposes only.

Last edited:
Saturday 15th April 2017

SOTD 15th April.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Hydra Power Face Wash and Proraso white
Razor: Ever Ready 1912
Blade: GEM Stainless Steel PTFE (#1)
Brush: Mason Pearson Super Badger
Cream: Wickham Soap Co. 1912 Magnum
AS: Pinaud Clubman Lotion

A number of firsts today, picked up a Mason Pearson Super Badger from a BST, and it was my first shave with a 1912 razor. The Mason Pearson handle makes it really nice to use, the knot is quite floppy but it easily made a huge amount of great lather from the 1912 soap. The brush really holds water well and I left too much water in to start but the end result was great, this brush is probably most suited to bowl lathering. I tend to palm/face lather mostly.
First shave with the 1912 razor was a bit of a learning process, a bit of a wobbly start trying to get the angle right, during the first few strokes I could feel the blade chatter and felt tugging at times during the first pass, the next two passes improved and it felt vey smooth once I got the hang of it. The noise from this razor is quite something. I did have some post shave irritation, not sure if this was the wobbly first pass or possibly this blade does not agree with me, I have tried a few PTFE coated DE blades that gave irritation but only on the first few shaves. The end result was a very close shave, although the area right under my nose could have been better.
I will try a few more shaves with this blade and then maybe try adding a shim to see how this works.

Last edited:
Saturday 15th April 2017

View attachment 24695
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Hydra Power Face Wash and Proraso white
Razor: Ever Ready 1912
Blade: GEM Stainless Steel PTFE (#1)
Brush: Mason Pearson Super Badger
Cream: Wickham Soap Co. 1912 Magnum
AS: Pinaud Clubman Lotion

A number of firsts today, picked up a Mason Pearson Super Badger from a BST, and it was my first shave with a 1912 razor. The Mason Pearson handle makes it really nice to use, the knot is quite floppy but it easily made a huge amount of great lather from the 1912 soap. The brush really holds water well and I left too much water in to start but the end result was great, this brush is probably most suited to bowl lathering. I tend to palm/face lather mostly.
First shave with the 1912 razor was a bit of a learning process, a bit of a wobbly start trying to get the angle right, during the first few strokes I could feel the blade chatter and felt tugging at times during the first pass, the next two passes improved and it felt vey smooth once I got the hang of it. The noise from this razor is quite something. I did have some post shave irritation, not sure if this was the wobbly first pass or possibly this blade does not agree with me, I have tried a few PTFE coated DE blades that gave irritation but only on the first few shaves. The end result was a very close shave, although the area right under my nose could have been better.
I will try a few more shaves with this blade and then maybe try adding shim to see how this works.
Love your brush, great handle.

Exec Shaving pre
Bloom water
OSP Bay Rum (on debut)
Kent Silvertip
Merkur 42c
Astra
Alum
Extro Bay Rum splash

Lovely shave today
Never used James' soap before...it didn't disappoint, believe me!
Gorgeous scent, whipped up almost immediately lovely feel.
No weepers, hardly felt the alum
'Appy Days!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom