SOTD : Saturday 11th June - Friday 17th June 2022.

13 June

PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Yaqi Heavy Metal
Feather AS-D1
Feather Hi-Stainless
Clubman Pinaud VIBR

D999A3B2-590D-4E57-BC36-B657D1C8A410.jpeg
The Feather blade in the Feather AS-D1 felt as smooth as a Treet Platinum in any other razor, yet, it produced a smooth result in two passes. There is not much audio feedback from this razor, so a little concentration is required.

13/06/22
Pre - Shower
Brush - Jayaruh #291 Tuxedo Knot
Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor - Feather ACSR-RBL
Blade - Feather Pro Blade
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Baxter's / Argan Oil home mixed Balm
A/S - Avon Shaving Brush Proraso Red
Wk24  (3).JPG
A wonderfully slick, creamy lather from the JR-291 and the MWF combo, i face lathered today adding water to the brush as required.
I completed 2 full passes, WTG then a XTG / ATG mixed pass with a touch up un the Whirlpools for a very close, comfortable, no issue, BBS finish.
I did get a fleeting bit of indication from the splash but nothing to write home about really, Very happy with that.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Monday AM 2022-06-13
MvRvJFU.png

Rooney Stubby 3XXL Ivory Finest (32/52)
Floris Elite shaving soap (tallow)
Carbon Mokume-gane Oda
Personna 74 Tungsten (1)
Fabergé Brut aftershave (vintage)
rV4COya.jpg

0A311179-AB92-4B96-B881-0E506C704217.jpeg
SOTD: 13/06/2022

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur
Blade: Kai Titan Mild Pink , 5th use
Brush: Crown King Switchback 400
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: PAA Future Fiction Croap
Aftershave: PAA Future Fiction Cologne
Balm: L’Oréal All In 1 Moisturising Cream Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

After an always light shave yesterday from the ATT G1, I had a little more stubble than usual but the Excalibur mowed it down which batting an eyelid! The PAA Future Fiction has been a favourite of mine for a long while and today I really went to town with it and got a great thick and slick lather. A spot on shave from face wash to splash, and an amazing start to the week.
All the best you guys.

Monday 13th June

AM-JKLW5-FJOmPccM6GrrKqP9EzkD8CEwlBfnZNwge_8B6WbrtyRO3kFnSBCavQJb2gRz816unAu_zPb4mQrB8-ixwNJDP0IB0O5rlJ3s_Vx0yvoYHoRZTRpUKzlbR6JBg8ObiCstJVDYEa5qW7QMBeSOMleeA=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Wickham 1912 South Sea Spray Shaving Soap
Vie-Long Amphora w/Cashmere Synthetic 24mm
Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Skin Protection Advanced Combo
Brut Splash-On

Kicking off my setup for the week ...

Lather will be Wickham 1912 with different scents throughout the coming days whipped up with my recently re-knotted Vie-Long Amphora with a floppy length Cashmere synthetic, which I'm very pleased to report pulls up a super lather and doesn't fling it all over the place.

First go with the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 format, having chosen the Skin Protection Advanced combo. The razor itself not only pivots, but has a kind of handbrake in the middle to further relieve pressure in the event of what really much be horrific technique, unless the intention is that the razor is pressured up and held on that pivot; something I highly doubt.

Anyway, damn good shave and I would say from first impression it's better than the Gillette Fusion ProGlide cartridge for cutting, evident in the results from a single pass, but the mechanism of the razor is not as slick as the Gillette Fusion Flexball and certainly not as swish as the Gillette Labs razor. I know there's some derision aimed at Gillette for the Flexball, likening it to a Dyson vac, but to be frank it's this razor that put me more in mind of some household appliance.

The only letdown (for a traditional shaver, using a good soap and brush) was the gloop strip, which is infinitely more giving than Gillette. Rather than a strip, Wilkinson Sword give us a line of "pods" which emit do damn much it cushions the blades quite actually, as in like an airbag! With the Hydro 5 cartridge, you can flick the gloop strip back to reveal the very top of the cartridge for the purposes of neatly trimming sideburns or under the nose, but alas once flicked back it negates the piviot. I suppose I could cut it off the cartridge or figure out just exactly how it is fitted as it just looks like a press-fit with some kind of spring loading. Running it under scalding water for a couple of minutes did very little to wear out the pods, but guess they'll be good and gone over the next few shaves and meanwhile I just have to rinse it a lot more.

Impressed ... but perhaps not (yet) enough to set my Gillette Fusion razors aside.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom