SOTD sat 29th/fri 4th

Don't be silly, your pics are just as good Paul. I love seeing everyone's SOTD pics they are the highlight of the forum for me. Honestly mine are really basic and easy to achieve. Thank you for the kind words though they are appreciated.
Both of you Wayne's on here take a lovely picture, and I thank you Wayne M for you kind words :)

SOTD: 31/07/17
View attachment 27598

Brush: Maseto 26mm Silvertip Barber Handle
Razor: Merkur 34c HD
Blade: Gillette 7oclock yellow #1
Soap: Caties Bubbles Irish Coffee
Scent: Thierry Mugler Amen* Pure Coffee

For a rather damp and dreary day here I decided to go all out coffee for this evenings shave. :)

The Merkur was the beginning of the DE world for me (Thank you @patw , I have you to blame :D) and the rabbit hole that followed, I feel I have somewhat neglected it due to recent pass arounds and acquisitions. :rolleyes:
I can appreciate this razor even more now I have a better technique than when I first started.
Paired up with the Gillette 7o'clock combating two days growth, I have had a very comfortable BBS 3 pass shave with a few touch ups.
This razors heavy weight and balance is outstanding and very forgiving. No cuts, nicks, weepers or burns.
I now know why it is considered to be up there as one of the best start up DE razors on the market.

Caties Bubbles Irish Coffee scent is pungent and lasts throughout the shave.
Whipped up and face lathered using the fabulous Maseto 26mm I was thrilled with its slickness and cushion.

BBA Balm and a generous spray of Amen* I feel relaxed and smelling good.

Enjoy your shaves!

Wayne.

PS: Have I ever told you that I like coffee? ;)
Very artistic Wayne!

Monday;

IMG_4959.png

Trialling two new acquisitions tonight, the Rod Neep 26mm Silvertip with a gorgeous Burl handle and B&M Latha Oceana. The latter has a great, light, aquatic scent and the performance is top notch. I was greeted with an explosion of lather from the soap, coupled with the dense, slightly pokey but so, so soft knot. The handle is really quite chunky but exceptionally comfortable. Unfortunately, as mentioned in the Acqusitions' thread, there is some lacquer peel going on, but hopefully that can be rectified.

The shave itself... it was 100% good...for 95% of the shave. I started South to North throughout my neck for the first pass, so a hybrid WTG/XTG which was exceptionally comfortable and efficient for the most part. I then decided that a hybrid ATG/XTG would be a good trial, from out-to-in across my neck... again, fantastic! I was smooth and could have left it there. I then decided to be 'Billy Big Balls' and thought, well this has gone well with the shallow angle of the 1912, why not try North to South along the base of my neck, to get those stray hairs which never seem to shave... bad move. Felt one 'ping' and then another. I stopped there but the damage was done, two weepers. I chucked on some alum to be met with some sting but the weepers won't stop. They're tiny, they're not deep, yet they're insistent on dribbling that metallic claret we're all so familiar with. I've since chucked on a bit of BBA Post Shave Balm and that's helped a bit but I'm tender towards the bottom of my neck and questioning why I bothered with that last 'touch-up'!

In short, the razor is more likely to bite you than you bite it! :D I'll trial the other two passes again, they got me as smooth as I could ever wish for in two passes, far comfier than the usual neck-shave and with far more growth reduction. The brush and soap are keepers, let's just hope I can get this brushes cosmetic issues sorted!

Onto the next one, chaps!

Monday 31st July 2017

sotd 31 july 2017.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso Green
Razor: OneBlade Core
Blade: Feather FHS (#4)
Brush: Vulfix 404
Cream: Mr Taylors
AS: Nivea Soothing Balm

After yesterdays shave with a Feather FAS carbon blade I thought I would go back to the stainless blade to compare, the stainless blade on shave 4 still made for a better shave, it felt much sharper.

Monday's shave.

Late shave today, an evening shave before I go out.

Pre-shave - Warm water splash and the Gentleman's Groom Room, Shave Prep +.
Razor - Rocnel SE-G.
Blade - GEM SS (day 3).
Soap - Wickham Soap Co. 1912 Buddha Wood Shaving Soap.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Post shave - Myrsol "Metilsol" Astringent After Shave, followed by Ibiza Aloe - Aloe vera Gell.

@Blademonkey - another Rocnel update.

Just when I thought I was getting on well with the Rocnel, a shave to be forgotten. Made sure my prep was good, saturated face with warm water, liberal application of Shave Prep +, good lather with the Buddha Wood. A string of weepers on my neck! Must have got the shave angle slightly off - can't think why.

All the best,

Chris

Monday Evening...

Soap - OSP Neroli
Brush - RazoRock Plissoft 24mm
Face lather
Razor - Ever Ready 1912 'Peerless'
Blade - Gem Personna
Post - Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Smell - 4711 EdC

Excellent shave tonight. BBS with one touch-up under the chin. The OSP did the business as usual. I like the 'Peerless'; it's a light one because of the aluminium handle, but it gives great grip.

Neroli notes picked up by those in the 4711. Job done.
20170731_210250.jpg

Kent soap, futur, black badger brush, Polsilver *20 (?), Caldey Island lavender a/s, aloe vera gel

another amazing shave from this blade - it refuses to die! i've used it in vintage razors, new stainless razors, mild and aggressive razors and each time - a flawless smooth shave - in fact, i think they're getting smoother :) - it's almost like an old friend by now! the a/s, (courtesy of @Benz3ne - many thanks) is a real treat - lovely strong lavender with a bit of an alcohol/menthol kick. great stuff. also - this soap produces so much lather it's unreal.

Parker Variant Razor
Shark Super Chrome Blade
Kent Infinity Synthetic Brush
Proraso Green Tea & Oat Pre Shave Cream
Speick Shaving Stick
Castle Forbes Lime ASB

2nd shave with the Parker. I can't make my mind up about it. I may try a different blade in it. The Sharks aren't the sharpest blade in town, but work well for me in other razors, like the Merkur 33G and the EJ DE89. It's a noisey bugger, too. Almost as noisey at a Futur!

Regards

Ian

Monday;

IMG_4959.png

Trialling two new acquisitions tonight, the Rod Neep 26mm Silvertip with a gorgeous Burl handle and B&M Latha Oceana. The latter has a great, light, aquatic scent and the performance is top notch. I was greeted with an explosion of lather from the soap, coupled with the dense, slightly pokey but so, so soft knot. The handle is really quite chunky but exceptionally comfortable. Unfortunately, as mentioned in the Acqusitions' thread, there is some lacquer peel going on, but hopefully that can be rectified.

The shave itself... it was 100% good...for 95% of the shave. I started South to North throughout my neck for the first pass, so a hybrid WTG/XTG which was exceptionally comfortable and efficient for the most part. I then decided that a hybrid ATG/XTG would be a good trial, from out-to-in across my neck... again, fantastic! I was smooth and could have left it there. I then decided to be 'Billy Big Balls' and thought, well this has gone well with the shallow angle of the 1912, why not try North to South along the base of my neck, to get those stray hairs which never seem to shave... bad move. Felt one 'ping' and then another. I stopped there but the damage was done, two weepers. I chucked on some alum to be met with some sting but the weepers won't stop. They're tiny, they're not deep, yet they're insistent on dribbling that metallic claret we're all so familiar with. I've since chucked on a bit of BBA Post Shave Balm and that's helped a bit but I'm tender towards the bottom of my neck and questioning why I bothered with that last 'touch-up'!

In short, the razor is more likely to bite you than you bite it! :D I'll trial the other two passes again, they got me as smooth as I could ever wish for in two passes, far comfier than the usual neck-shave and with far more growth reduction. The brush and soap are keepers, let's just hope I can get this brushes cosmetic issues sorted!

Onto the next one, chaps!
Did you shim the blade? Just a thought, it may make it less likely to bite you :)

Monday night shave

Hot bath // Nivea Men Active Wash
Proraso Red Pre Shave
WSP Spring Rain Soap (sample)
Simpsons Colonel X2L
Rockwell 6c ~ plate 4
Gillette Nacet (1)
Peppermint witch hazel mixture
Hugo Boss Hugo (original formula)

Sublime shaving experience tonight.
Plate 4 on the Rockwell is world's apart from plate 3 for me. More aggressive but not too so.
Paired with a new Nacet blade pass one was very close, it allowed me to go straight to ATG on pass two. The result was perfect BBS , pebbles, dolphins and orca's are all jealous!
The Spring Rain Soap is one for the to buy list. Glide, cushioning and slickness in abundance, and the lemon scent is delicious.
Post shave feel is top drawer too, I omitted my usual Proraso splash and my skin isn't dry feeling at all.
Finished with original Hugo. I've had this bottle for 15+ years, and it's still as potent as the first time I used it.

Monday's shave.

Late shave today, an evening shave before I go out.

Pre-shave - Warm water splash and the Gentleman's Groom Room, Shave Prep +.
Razor - Rocnel SE-G.
Blade - GEM SS (day 3).
Soap - Wickham Soap Co. 1912 Buddha Wood Shaving Soap.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Post shave - Myrsol "Metilsol" Astringent After Shave, followed by Ibiza Aloe - Aloe vera Gell.

@Blademonkey - another Rocnel update.

Just when I thought I was getting on well with the Rocnel, a shave to be forgotten. Made sure my prep was good, saturated face with warm water, liberal application of Shave Prep +, good lather with the Buddha Wood. A string of weepers on my neck! Must have got the shave angle slightly off - can't think why.

All the best,

Chris
Thanks mate, :)

Monday night shave

Hot bath // Nivea Men Active Wash
Proraso Red Pre Shave
WSP Spring Rain Soap (sample)
Simpsons Colonel X2L
Rockwell 6c ~ plate 4
Gillette Nacet (1)
Peppermint witch hazel mixture
Hugo Boss Hugo (original formula)

Sublime shaving experience tonight.
Plate 4 on the Rockwell is world's apart from plate 3 for me. More aggressive but not too so.
Paired with a new Nacet blade pass one was very close, it allowed me to go straight to ATG on pass two. The result was perfect BBS , pebbles, dolphins and orca's are all jealous!
The Spring Rain Soap is one for the to buy list. Glide, cushioning and slickness in abundance, and the lemon scent is delicious.
Post shave feel is top drawer too, I omitted my usual Proraso splash and my skin isn't dry feeling at all.
Finished with original Hugo. I've had this bottle for 15+ years, and it's still as potent as the first time I used it.
It's plate 4 on the 6C for me too Paul. Just so efficient whichever blade I put in it.

Back
Top Bottom