Something I don't understand about Linux...

wubi is the windows environment installer...install through windows...to run along windows...best way for a try i think..if you like it then dedicate a hdd to it...or partiion a one first...if you need windows..its easier to install this first as windows after linux interferes with the grub boot loader...and someone not used looks as tho it wont fire up

Ok, mint has downloaded and I've also downloaded wubi although wubi appears to be installing ubuntu. Feckin' 'ell, I'm confussed already - this is worse than the shop till. G-G-Granville! Fix this comp-pe-pe-pe-putering th-thingie.

Good luck - glad you just got stuck in and gave it a try. Had I known you would I would have suggested burning mint on a dvd and then rebooting your computer with the disc in the drive. It is slower to load (much slower) but you can get a better idea of how much resources you have left. Wubi is fine though. Hope you get on with it. I can give you basic tips if you get stuck but I'm no expert.

I tried burning Mint on a DVD but shortie's been playing with the blanks again......:icon_rolleyes:

So far so good, I like it...but not the purple. Mint looked nicer.

now go and do an update asap (easiest is look for shield in bottom right if she has blue in update there)...and check see if yourvideo card is supported...now in software sources

See my PM. Plenty of stuff out there if you have specific questions but often it's a case of getting round a whole new concept and way of doing things. Mint and a lot of other 'distros' as they are called hide away the differences for the casual user.
Drives are mounted (not my term!) in the filesystem itself rather than appearing separately; can be tricky to find your way round. Don't have to have anti-virus or firewall; installing/removing packages etc. or interfering with the operating system itself can't be done without your explicit authority (enter your password) because you are logged in with limited privileges (and always will be). Windows users tend to have this authority permanently on home systems because the administrator is the default account. On linux this is called the superuser (su) and you temporarily switch to superuser when doing these kinds of administrative tasks.
There isn't the place or the justification to go into it all here so PM me or check Google for more info.

If nothing else, keep the disc in case one day computer fails to boot up. You can stick the disc in, wait a good few minutes for it to load, then read your hard drive from there and recover any important files. Bear in mind that if the reason you're in that situation is because of a virus then you might end up copying the virus over. Mint won't be affected but the next Windows machine you use the files on could be...

as for the drives being mounted check out pysdm...but yea can be a bit bewilderin but google is yer friend most of the time if yer get stuck

as well as some on here

Thanks Carl, yer a star!

Olvin, no shield nowhere no how.....:s

It's faster and on the net too. Thunderbird is much nicer in Ubuntu than in Windows, quicker and easier too. The colour is still poom though. So far Im impressed. What's the drive stuff about? Confussed again....

I'll leave posting my problems/finding/discoveries on here for now as it's a complete hijack but new things can be fun and this is. No viruses, eh?

Need to go and get minted now.

the shield is next to the time....should normally have green tick...but when update are available a blue disc is inside
[attachment=6186]

I find it faster, too. That's a major factor. Windows feels less responsive and Windows of old (xp and before) gradually gets clogged up and slows down. Not to mention having to install what you want and uninstall all the manufacturer's crap in the first place!

Don't worry about the drives for now, Graeme. You can use them for now without having to worry about it.

You're using Ubuntu but that icon above is in Mint. Not sure what Ubuntu's update icon loons like but itll be somewhere near the clock. Hover your mouse pointer over them all and a little message will prompt you

I've managed to do an update (I think). Certainly, when I rebooted, Firefox was checking its compatibility with the add-ons suggesting things had been updated.

Successfully burnt mint to a DVD and the md5sum signature matched the website but when I booted using the DVD, I couldn't do a ruddy thing. It's not slow , it's static! Oh, I right clicked and the usual pull down menu appeared but wouldn't go away. I went for a drink of water and it was still there! Ubuntu seems really intuative but I can't compare to Mint which does look nicer. As Martin would say, "Sheesh!"

Ach, all this is major farting around and I can't access my data on the hard drives - no films, music, documents, pictures or owt. Back ter Windaes!

Back
Top Bottom