Something I don't understand about Linux...

... is why when any particular distribution becomes unsupported the repository disappears so you can't download applications? I can understand how there would be no more updates to apps or general security/stability, but why can't the user install software any more? Google has not helped. He no understand myself.

I didn't realise that, what distro? I'm using a hybrid of Ubuntu 10.04 at the moment on my netbook and I can download some applications but only those which are compatible.

NotTheStig said:
Ubuntu and Mint. Once a distro gets old you can't install any apps it seems.

not true

you can use apt-get

then install any app from that repository

you can manually add more/new repository's

i cant remember where they are but its quite simple to add them.

best to install apt-get

if you really need to then you can do download the source code then made for apt-get then compile it and there you go

simple guide an better explanation than i could every manage

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine

Re: RE: Something I don't understand about Linux...

Gairdner said:
Wha......? Ain't Linux a character from Charlie Brown?

It's an operating system that is allegedly user friendly.
People who use it rave about it. People who don't use it carry on with Windows or iOS blissfully unaware of how frustrating it can be getting your sound or your printer to work.

shanky887614 said:
NotTheStig said:
Ubuntu and Mint. Once a distro gets old you can't install any apps it seems.

not true

you can use apt-get

then install any app from that repository

you can manually add more/new repository's

i cant remember where they are but its quite simple to add them.

best to install apt-get

if you really need to then you can do download the source code then made for apt-get then compile it and there you go

simple guide an better explanation than i could every manage

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine

Thanks. I didn't realise. I already have apt-get as well as aptitude. I'll take a look tonight.

Lose the beard said:
Gairdner said:
Wha......? Ain't Linux a character from Charlie Brown?

It's an operating system that is allegedly user friendly.
People who use it rave about it. People who don't use it carry on with Windows or iOS blissfully unaware of how frustrating it can be getting your sound or your printer to work.
It's user friendly for a lot of aspects. Mist of what you need is already installed. It's free. The code is available for the community to fix and develop. Software comes from secure repositories rather than some random website and is normally free. Virus checkers and firewalls are not really needed. Most stuff works out of the box. The problems lie in fragmentation with different groups going off to develop different things. That has the upshot of more choice though and so if, for example, you don't like how the latest menu and desktop works you can just replace it with another.
Hardware support is pretty good but sometimes you can scratch your head over why your WiFi doesn't work. Often the hardware manufacture doesn't provide any or up to date drivers for Linux but the community will try to create their own if they can. It's good for older hardware and cutting edge stuff too (although bit more potential for bugs and conflicts). Mint includes a facility to install Windows drivers. The sound wasn't working on my laptop with mint 13. Running one line of code at startup gets it going but you do sometimes need to use the command line for these reasons (not every day stuff). I can also install it easily on as many machines as I want: either replacing Windows or inside it or alongside it on the hard drive.
It's not for everyone but it is for me.

Windows is Gillette Mach3.
Expensive, you have to use the same thing over and over again. The makers tell you its the best there is, but thats not necessarily true.

Linux is DE shaving.
Its cheaper, very customisable, you can have any combination of products. You use it to enjoy the experience.

MacOS is a Gillette Aristocrat.
Does the same as other DE razors, but is a lot more expensive so you can tell people how much better it is than their razor. It just works.

not so sure about the macos..ive got a new mabook pro and a 2011 macbook air....yet still come back to linux 80% of the time...yea the macs do work

wonder what it is about the linux that makes me come back

balidey said:
Windows is Gillette Mach3.
Expensive, you have to use the same thing over and over again. The makers tell you its the best there is, but thats not necessarily true.

Linux is DE shaving.
Its cheaper, very customisable, you can have any combination of products. You use it to enjoy the experience.

MacOS is a Gillette Aristocrat.
Does the same as other DE razors, but is a lot more expensive so you can tell people how much better it is than their razor. It just works.

I couldn't disagree more with that analogy.

So what's the craic then? How do I go about trying it and can I revert to W7 if I get all confussed. WIll my wifi work? And my HDMI link to the Telly for watching programmes? Hardly use the printer but I'd till like it to work. When I started DE shaving, I at least had half a clue what was going on and had used a brush and soap before. Wif' this 'fing, I's clueless mate, innit.

[attachment=6185]if you want to try it...u can install linux mint 14 via windows 7...use wubi...it will install it alongside win7 and if you dont like it you can get rid easily

i installed it on a 3 year old dell studio just the other week...picked everything up first go...not saying it will but give it a shot

wubi used to be on the linux iso...but can easily be downloaded

Back
Top Bottom