So...TSR is an online forum....

Just like cool, groovy, daddio, see you later alligator etc., etc., there are fashions in speech. Some stay some don't. Complaining about them smacks of fastidiousness and fogyism.

Me? deejaff.

Anyone else notice how everyone seems to be starting every sentence with the word 'so' recently? On the radio, on the television, in the street....?
So what's your point? The English language is a changing evolving thing.

It's interesting to note that the translators of the King James Bible deliberately used a writing style that was already archaic at that time. They wanted the spoken verses to have a sonorous, elegant sound when read aloud. They created a beautiful work, even if it wasn't written in the 'modern' English of the 1600's.

Just like cool, groovy, daddio, see you later alligator etc., etc., there are fashions in speech. Some stay some don't. Complaining about them smacks of fastidiousness and fogyism.

Me? deejaff.

Yes. I am a fastidious fogy. Which is why I faff about every morning choosing a shaving brush, loading a blade, taking time to work up a lather etc. instead of just grabbing a Macho III and a can of foam.

I'm often teased about my 'old-fashioned' manners. Well, I've found that courtesy costs nothing, and often pays rich dividends.

Oh good. At least it didn't come from "90210."

Who else feels that Japanese Anime is ruining children's childhoods? When I was a lad, it was Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers and other wholesome cartoons with scripts written to demonstrate the benefits of helping others, having good manners and the importance of friendships.

You keep your 'twig' to yourself, sunshine.

Here's factormax in a different mood -

Ruth-Wilson1_zpsljuhvc6h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh good. At least it didn't come from "90210."

Who else feels that Japanese Anime is ruining children's childhoods? When I was a lad, it was Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers and other wholesome cartoons with scripts written to demonstrate the benefits of helping others, having good manners and the importance of friendships.
Dont worry mate,they thought my generation would all end up saying "flub-a-dub weeeeddd"!,or maybe even like the 'Clangers'!.

Here's an idea for BBC Radio 4. When they interview someone they should use some software to automatically remove the audio of the initial "So," from the interviewer's or interviewee's initial sentence. A bit like Autotune does in correcting singers' notes.
That would cut down transmission times, costs and give me back all that time I have to unnecessarily listen to "So,".

Here's an idea for BBC Radio 4. When they interview someone they should use some software to automatically remove the audio of the initial "So," from the interviewer's or interviewee's initial sentence. A bit like Autotune does in correcting singers' notes.
That would cut down transmission times, costs and give me back all that time I have to unnecessarily listen to "So,".

And if they could only expand the software to include, " sort of " and " you know " ...

JohnnyO. o/

And if they could only expand the software to include, " sort of " and " you know " ...

JohnnyO. o/

Could it also remove the superfluous "back" people insist on using after the words "return" and "reply", and the pointless "why" the same people suffix to "hence"?

The standard of written English is, on the whole, shameful in this country and the spoken variety is declining too. Unless you're an immigrant, in which case you're probably better at it than most of the locals.

Back
Top Bottom