Slow Cookers

cheese_dave said:
Pig Cat said:
Or perhaps a genius?
No... just no... you don't want the combined weight of Tony and myself blethering on about risottos, seriously. We've discussed this to hell and back in PM.

I bet you didn't know that there is an optimum time to make a risotto. :eek: When the moon is in Sagittarius and Mars enters Uranus. It's all about water absorption don't you know. If you can make it while listening to The Dark Side of the Moon or Moon River then you're on to something even John Torrode might be interested in. After all, "it's only a risotto!" :roll:

cheese_dave said:
Pig Cat said:
Or perhaps a genius?
No... just no... you don't want the combined weight of Tony and myself blethering on about risottos, seriously. We've discussed this to hell and back in PM.

That's true...we decided that the best risotto can only be made with unpasteurized moon cheese.

I can recommend this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Slow-Cooker-Delicious-Recipes/dp/0600618951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Slow-C ... 0600618951</a><!-- m -->

Especially the Kashmiri Butter Chicken, which is bubbly away across the kitchen as we speak.....

I've used a slow cooker for over 30 years. These days I use it mostly for sous-vide, but batch cooking fruit, veg and baked beans for bottling gets it busy this time of year. I also always use it to render post Haloween discarded pumpkins into "stuff" (experiments, but always edible). Great for stock too. I always put a towel over lid for insulation.
Lloyd

You can just bung all the ingredients in and wait. I've done it before and it worked out well, but conventional wisdom says to brown everything off first.

Here's what I've done today:

1.2 kg beef skirt and chuck steak (the cheaper cuts of meat actually work better in a slow cooker)
2 large onions
4 cloves of garlic
1 tin of tomatoes
1 handful of pearl barley
5 teaspoons of gravy

Firstly, fry off the onions and garlic in a little oil until they are translucent, add the tomatoes at the end.

Then seal the beef in small-ish batches (you don't want to steam it).

Then make your gravy up in the pan and bring everything together (so it's all hot). If you have any red wine it's worth adding that to the pan first and boiling off the alcohol. It gives a lovely richness to the beef.

Chuck in the pearl barley. Mix it all together and slow cook on low for about 10-12 hours or high for about 7-8.

Lovely!

My view of the list of topics says this has only two posts, and last post made yesterday by Tal Paul. When I view the thread, there are loads of replies, but only up to a date in 2010. What's going on????
On typing this reply, I can see posts below that aren't showing on the thread for me.
BOAB.....heeeelllllp!!

Back
Top Bottom