Slow Cookers

Apart from risottos, is there anything veggie (no eggs or meat) I can make from the slow cooking method/cooker ?
Or is it not designed for peeps like me in mind?

Thanks guys

slash said:
pigcat can you post the sweet and sour chicken recipe please.... :D

Actually I got it wrong - the recipe is Caribbean Chicken. Not so much sour but nice and sweet. It is delicious served with rice.

Slow Cooker Caribbean Chicken

2 tbsps vegetable oil
2 small onions, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
250g mushrooms, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
4 chicken joints, skinned
200g tin peaches
200g tin pineapple chunks
5 tbsps cornflour
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp worcester sauce
4 tbsps malt/wine vinegar
1/2 litre boiling water
S+P to season

Fry onion, celery, carrot, mushroom and pepper. Add chicken and brown. Drain fruit and reserve juice. Add fruit to pan. Blend cornflour, paprika, soy, worcester, vinegar and juice. Season, add boiling water and pour in to pan. Boil stirring continuously until thickened then add to crock pot. Cook for approx. five hours. :hungrig

sonny said:
Apart from risottos, is there anything veggie (no eggs or meat) I can make from the slow cooking method/cooker ?

Thanks guys

Slow cooker recipes do seem to be rather meat-heavy. The only main course I can see in Mrs PC's special cook book is a vegetarian curry. Somehow I don't think you need curry recipes. :roll: There are a couple of soups - lentil and vegetable. Let me know if you want those. :D

sonny said:

Thanks guys
I'm just guessing here, as I don't have a slow cooker, but couldn't you cook dried beans from their dried state in a slow cooker, with lots of water of course? So some kinda veggie bean stew?

I'd type more but my finger hurts too much... I might have to go to A&E, stupid car door... feel sorry for me everyone.

I have the best ever secret beef chili recipe for a slow cooker. If i shared it with you lot it wouldn't be a secret recipe. Honestly.... best chili ever :cool:

Sonny...you could keep a dahl on the go indefinitely with a slow cooker...

as long as its nothing like my local takeaway, a spicy mush of overcooked and crown cracking half cooked pulses lubricated by
generous layer of vegetable oil. Never again: shock:

cheese_dave said:
sonny said:

Thanks guys
I'm just guessing here, as I don't have a slow cooker, but couldn't you cook dried beans from their dried state in a slow cooker, with lots of water of course? So some kinda veggie bean stew?

Yes & no - it's imperative with (for example) red kidney beans to boil them for 10 minutes before adding to a slow cooker or you'll all die or something.

I do an easy Somerset Pork which should do well in a slow cooker but I've only done it on the hob so far.

1lb chopped pork
1 large cooking apple peeled cored and cut into big slices
1 chopped onion
1 chopped leek
a few sticks of celery chopped
1 pork stock cube and maybe a spoon of vegetable bouillon powder if it isn't tasty enough when nearly cooked.
chuck it all in together with enough cheap dry cider (I use tesco value) to properly cover I use between a third and a half of a 2l bottle. Serve it with rice. Sometimes I leave out the celery, sometimes I put in mushrooms and I've also tried using left over eating apples but it doesn't tend to be as nice.

I don't start anything in the slow cooker, just finish it. If something will be improved by or needs to be cooked slowly over night then it's great.
It has a sealed lid so it doesn't really thicken or reduce, perfect for super tenderising meat based dishes even curry's, not sure how useful it would be for a vegetarian.

Thanks.

Anyone got a spare grand lying about?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ecomonkey.co.uk/products/kenwood-km070-cooking-chef-major-mixer-titanium" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ecomonkey.co.uk/products/ken ... r-titanium</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom