Slow Cookers

Afternoon all,

So my grandmother just bought my wife and I a slow cooker - anyone got good recipes? I'm thinking it will be a winner for curries and chillis, as well as the occasional beer based stew.

Any favourites here?

Chris

Two books to acquire:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0716020475">http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0716020475</a><!-- m -->

&

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.abebooks.co.uk/search/sortby/3/an/Annette+Yates+/tn/+Slo-Cook+Book">http://www.abebooks.co.uk/search/sortby ... -Cook+Book</a><!-- m -->

The Barley/Scotch Broth recipe I posted here is from the former.

I have no recipes im afraid as I love the whole thing of getting left overs bung them in in the morning come home to a lovely meal.

But I did want to say, once you have used a slow cooker you will never go back and dont be afrraid to use cheaper cuts of meat.

i was really against getting one of these things, paranoid about the house burning down if it was left on while i was out, but we got one (in the sales :lol: ) and have used it occasionaly.

makes for good stews, curries as you say
just remember to brown\cook any meat\chicken before banging it all together
fish should be ok though

Just noticed this thread. Once October comes around the slow cooker comes out. We must use it at least once a week during the darker months to make lovely stews and casseroles. We even have a nice sweet and sour chicken recipe. I will take a look when I get home for a couple of tasty meals to post recipes for. The only problem with ours is that it isn't big enough to do very large meals. It serves four, maybe six at a real push. So there aren't usually many left-overs! :hungrig

I'm going to make this tomorrow:

South West Chilli
SERVES 6 -8
Ingredients
2 teaspoons oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb lean ground beef
3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 can dark beer
1 cup strong coffee
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 can beef broth
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon salt
4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
4 chili peppers, chopped

But it's an American recipe so will probably ad-lib a little....

Here's a recipe for Caribbean Chicken that is very tasty:

2 tbsps Vegetable oil
2 Small onions, chopped
2 Sticks celery, chopped
2 Carrots, sliced
250g Mushrooms, sliced
1 Red pepper, sliced
4 Chicken joints, skinned
200g Tin sliced peaches
200g Tin pineapple chunks
5 tbsps Cornflower
1 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Worcester sauce
4 tbsps Malt/wine vinegar
1/2 litre Boiling water
S&P

Fry the onion, celery, carrot, mushroom and pepper. Add chicken and brown. Drain fruit and reserve juice. Add fruit to pan. Blend in the cornflower, paprika, soy, worcester, vinegar and juice. Season. Add boiling water to the pan. Boil stirring continuously. Cook in slow cooker for 5-7 hours. Serve with rice or whatever takes your fancy. :hungrig

neocaligatio said:
Afternoon all,

So my grandmother just bought my wife and I a slow cooker - anyone got good recipes? I'm thinking it will be a winner for curries and chillis, as well as the occasional beer based stew.

Any favourites here?

Chris

Or a tajine (Moroccan 'stew'). like many dishes (such as the paella), tajine is named after the type of vessel it is made in. The tajine (vessel) is more or less the original slow cooker, probably more original than the '70s Romertopf...

Henk

Ooh, ooh ooh I have one now, I didn't really think about one before but I like the idea of prepping some grub and leaving it on all day...can we have a dedicated slow cooker's forum?

Had our best one yet Sunday:

1 pack braising steak from somerfield
1 oxo cube
1 onion
2 carrots
1/4 butternut squash (although pumpkin, swede or potato would work)
500ml Dark Bitter (used a homemade batch that was overly sweet)

10 hours on low.

It was like the middle of a steak and ale pie. I used a bread roll to scoop it up like a spoon :hungrig

Yep you certainly brown the meat first. You can't just bung it all in and wait, but it's still a pretty easy meal, and always incredibly tasty. I think the long cooking time gives the equivalent flavours of a normal stew that has been frozen then heated up again. :hungrig

Now Winter is close we will be using our SC a lot so I'll post any particular successes here...

Back
Top Bottom