Show us your slants

I found the S1 comfortable and efficient, just about as good as the 102 or X3 (though I prefer the 102 and the X3). The S2 for me was extremely harsh and uncomfortable. I have read that the S2 is very picky about blade choice. I returned it fairly soon, but some really like the S2. The Merkur family of slants are for me just slightly less comfortable than the 102 or X3 and equally efficient. That is, the 37C, Holy Black SR-71 slant, and RazoRock German 37 are good slants and the German 37 is a bargain ($8 for the head: unlike the 37C and the SR-71, it's a three-piece design; it was Merkur's continued refusal to offer a three-piece format for the slant that drove RazoRock to action).

@zad I can't say whether or not you're going to like an ATT slant, but in my opinion the 102, 39c and S1/S2 are three/four rather different razors. An ATT slant will give you a different shave from the 39c or the 102, so in that sense a purchase is warranted :)

@zad I can't say whether or not you're going to like an ATT slant, but in my opinion the 102, 39c and S1/S2 are three/four rather different razors. An ATT slant will give you a different shave from the 39c or the 102, so in that sense a purchase is warranted :)
You make a good point and there is no denying you know your slants :)

@Leisureguy a tilt-adjustable could be sorta nice. The range you describe would be quite nice I guess, I find with the 3-way adjustable vintage ones the angles are often too extreme. You get something like 4-6/40/50+ and the latter is, for me at least, unusable. These type razors, as far as I've tried them, seem to shine at their 40 degree setting, and the other two don't seem to do much for me.
The Pacific, being a head on a ball bearing, is a bit difficult to get the same angle consistently, amplified by the fact you can move it in two dimensions. I can imagine this made for this razor to be put in a position once and not eviate from there, something that kinda defeats the purpose of being adjustable.
Of course, conventional adjustables just aren't my thing, that may be the case with tiltadjustable slants as well.
On the other hand, a setting of 4/10/20 or something like that might work better. Very coarse, thick or long hair in the 20 degree setting, and otherwise shave at 10 and finish at 4.

@efsk - I really like the three-way slant—say 5º, 10º, and 20º, though I would also include 0ª, so you could set it to be a conventional razor. In fact, steps 0, 5, 10, 15, and 20 has an attractive look.

I don't see that an adjustable needs a lot of adjustment. I mostly use my adjustables the way I use an adjustable car seat: I find the setting that works best for me and always use that setting. Of course, just as over a long car ride one might change the seat adjustment from time to time, so also on occasion I might use a different adjustment (e.g., when I let my beard grow longer (never happens) or when my preference changes).

Back
Top Bottom