Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 31st July 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valobra menthol + C.O Bigelow (Proraso)/KIM SON silvertip brush/Merkur Progress + RED IP/Every Man Jack gel.
P1090557.jpg

Wednesday
EJ DE87 + Feather
Simpson T2
D R Harris Almond soap
Penhaligons The Hammam Bouquet

Pre - Hot shower
Soap - Mama Bears Aged Spice
Brush - Semogue 1305
Razor - Merkur 38C
Blade - Personna Red IP (4)
AS - Old Spice Fresh Lime

Again a wonderfully smooth shave from MB. Sadly I didn't load my brush enough so had a wishy washy second pass, learning process though. The scent of Aged Spice is nice but I don't personally know how close to Old Spice it is, I only have the lime variant. It certainly doesn't clash. Different brush tomorrow to address this lack of lather problem in case new brush to blame or just poor technique but have had much better results with my Omega 10005

Horrible shave today!

EJ d89l striped chrome
Derby extra
Ingrams
Alum
Nivea sensitive ASB

I got a little irritation yesterday and today's shave just made it worse, razor rash a round my mouth and on my neck and not close at all on my neck either. I'm aware my technique is not the best but how do you know when it's time to change a blade? Only other thing I changed was using ingrams for the first time yesterday.

how do you know when it's time to change a blade?

Popular opinion seems to suggest a 3 - 4 shave blade change. I used to change on 3 but have recently found myself stretching to 4 shaves before changing. At the price of blades it's not worth using them to death and irritation......

Wednesday

EJ DE89L
Merkur Super (1)
Grosvenor 404 Bodger
ToOBS Cream (Mr Taylor) - the end is in sight!

Fresh Wood AS

Utterly, utterly brilliant. :D

As much as I recognise that a really good shave is a team performance from me and the rest of the guys in the band the inclusion of a Merkur blade really stepped it up a gear this morning. I simply do not understand why everyone - except me, I think - on this forum professes a deep distaste for them. They always work for me so let that be a lesson to newcomers; we're all different, or at least I am. :lol:

My face is as smooth as a billiard ball today and I am absolutely thrilled.
:shave

Ids said:
Horrible shave today!
I got a little irritation yesterday and today's shave just made it worse, razor rash a round my mouth and on my neck and not close at all on my neck either. I'm aware my technique is not the best but how do you know when it's time to change a blade? Only other thing I changed was using ingrams for the first time yesterday.

For me, blades maximum 4 days then bin whether they seem good or not.

remember good preparation; a shower or a warm flannel before you start.

Ingrams is a cream you need to use a lot of, don't scimp (or is it skimp?). It may indeed be too mentholly for your skin - suggest Palmolive cream, dirt cheap and great to use.

ABSOLUTELY MINIMAL PRESSURE! Stick with WTG shaves and short strokes, don't try to run before you can walk - this isn't easy and a couple of bad days can easily put you off.

Good luck, stick at it.

;)

Ids said:

I had very similar problem when I was about 3 weeks into DE shaving, it had gone really well up until then and I was possibly becoming complacent. It's pretty much a case of trying to 'run before you can walk' - follow the advice above and your next shave will be better ;)

Re the blades, I change them every 4 days irrespective, and every 3 days if I want a change of set up. They're so cheap relatively, it's not a Fusion where you feel you need to use it until you're bleeding.

Blyth Spirit said:
hunnymonster said:
Blyth Spirit said:
don't scimp (or is it skimp?)

scrimp perhaps?

...not in Blyth! :lol:

For those not in the know, Blyth is a quaint fishing village on the Northumberland coast at the mouth of the River Blyth. Formerly home to a gasworks and a colliery as it's most appealing edifices, both are long gone and now the cultural edifice of choice in Blyth is probably the derelict Kwik Save. <shudder>

hunnymonster said:
scrimp perhaps?

For those not in the know, Blyth is a quaint fishing village on the Northumberland coast at the mouth of the River Blyth. Formerly home to a gasworks and a colliery as it's most appealing edifices, both are long gone and now the cultural edifice of choice in Blyth is probably the derelict Kwik Save. <shudder>

It's not that attractive! :lol: Now the 'home' of UK renewable wave technology, apparently.

Er, five collieries, a foundry, railway network, a thriving import/export harbour and erstwhile submarine base and a gasworks, all gone, please! Kwik Save has long since gone up-market to Netto and now bought out by ASDA; do keep up HM.

Oh, I nearly forgot - how could I? - home of the Spartans.

;)

We're well off SOTD topic now....

Thanks,

I just went with the grain this morning because of the irritation, the only thing that's really changed is the ingrams but I'm trying to use the same setup for a week at a time to really test it.

Thanks,

I just went with the grain this morning because of the irritation, the only thing that's really changed is the ingrams but I'm trying to use the same setup for a week at a time to really test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom