Wednesday

AOS Preshave oil
Merkur Futur (2,4)
Crystal IP (1)
Vulfix 2235 super
AOS unscented cream
Alum
Azzaro DT

My Futur came with an Art of Shaving sample pack so I tried them today. A good shave very smooth. Didn't think the pre-shave oil was worthwhile and it smelt of oil of cloves. The cream lathered very well but so do many other creams and not being scented I didn't think it was anything special. Would have liked to try the ASB that came with it but it was dessicated. Don't think I'll be shelling out on AOS software, as a result.

Wednesday

Futur (1.5)
Shaving Shack blade (1)
EJ Med silver
TOBS Lemon & Lime + Avocado (trying to use up samples before they dry out - only had a little L&L to go, so mixed).
SWK Scuttle
Next AS (suprisingly nice)
Nivea ASB

Not a bad shave. The SS blades seem ok. 1st impressions are that they aren't quite as nice as the red Personnas though.

Spent a while this afternoon making lathers using the 3 brushes i have; Vulfix 404, Mühle Pure Badger and EJ Med Silvertip. I do struggle with the 404 to get a lather that is anywhere near as nice as the other 2! The EJ is just lovely, from my practise session, as good with soaps as it is with creams. (I ended up trialling them all with diff soaps and creams too).

Have a nice afternoon gents.

Wednesday

1960 Gillette Fatboy (set at 9, reduced to 3 for delicate problem areas on neck)
Feather blade
Arko stick
Kent BK4
Alum block
Gillette Series AS Balm

First ever use of Arko - first impression of the scent was 'toilet cleaner', but it grew on me and I really liked it by the end. Lovely thick, creamy, slick lather - and my face felt well-moisturised & soft when I rinsed off at the end.

Wednesday

DE89L
Iridium (2)
Ingram menthol cream
Alum
T&H Trafalgar ASB

2nd day with the Iridium and still not comfortable. I think i will go back to Astra or Red Personna's. Maybe i am just not ready for the sharper blades yet! Also, found the Ingram was useless, i put a load in the bowl and struggled to get a thick lather, too airy!

Classic Trout Split Bamboo

Some people restore vintage razors; others restore vintage split bamboo fly rods. Restored cane rods are a less costly alternative to customs or original condition vintage split cane rods. There are many parallels between using split bamboo fly rods and using straight razors, and I choose to use a restored vintage split bamboo fly rod for many of the same reasons I choose a straight razor over more modern gear.

This rod fills the middle of my fly fishing arsenal. The beautiful classic style reel is “The Indian Catskill” by Bill Ballan. The reel is mounted on a two piece single tip split bamboo rod 6’ 10” long for five weight line. The original maker is unknown, but it was a high-end 7’ rod that needed the ferrules reset and this reduced the length by 2 inches. Hardware includes a nickel silver uplocking reel seat with a burl maple insert. The cane is finished with three coats of spar varnish and wrapped in orange and black jasper.

Tonight’s razor is a 6/8ths Frederick’s Celebrated restored and rescaled in desert ironwood by Bill Ellis.

Thursday

Futur (2)
Shaving Shack Blade (2)
EJ Med Silvertip
SWK Scuttle
TOBS Avocado
Alum
Trimaran AS
Nivea ASB.

Nice comfy shave this morning. This is a lovely way to wake up!
(Roll on the weekend so i can try out the straight for the 1st time.....or, maybe tonight....not sure yet ;) )

Have a good day guys - only a couple of days 'til the weekend! :mrgreen:

Thursday

Merkur 15c OC
Derby Extra (4)
EJ Med Pure
Lider Cream

Forest Fresh AS
Nivea ASB

Great shave. Very smooth outcome. The Polish Lider cream has a very pronounced citronella odour and is not to everyone's taste but it shaves extremely well. I'm also sticking with the Forest Fresh for a few days, I am so impressed by the 50s / 60s barbershoppy smell. On a related point, will someone please explain all this high note and bottom note stuff to me?

Champion stuff.

David,

It probably wont apply to a simple aftershave like forest fresh but

Top Notes: are what you smell as soon as a scent is applied
Middle notes: are what you smell after the scent has been on for a little while and changes a little
Base notes: are what forms the base structure of a scent and it is the lingering smell you get after a scent has been on most of the day.

This does however depend on what you have put on. Some lighter colognes move through all stages very quickly and other more complex scents can last upwards of 24 hours.

Thursday

Edwin Jagger DE87
Gillette Super Platinum Black (1)
Vulfix VS/5
Boots stick (milled into a bowl)
Alum
Witch Hazel
One Planet AB
Forest Fresh AS

Tried for the 8th shave with the old Plat but as soon as I went WTG above my lip it was dragging bad, popped it out and put in a black 7 O'Clock in and a BBS was had :cool: , not a trace of stubble when feeling my face ATG, only had it once before with a Feather on first shave, a truly great shave with this blade.

Have a nice and pleasant day Gents

Tony

andyjreid said:
David,
Base notes: are what forms the base structure of a scent and it is the lingering smell you get after a scent has been on most of the day.

I had an aftershave with bass notes that smelt like a lingering fart. I used to blame it on my mates until I realised it was still there when they weren't.

Thursday

'30's Gillette New OC
Shaving Shack Israeli (3)
GFT Pure Badger Brush
GFT Coconut Cream
Cold water rinse with AS mix
GFT Coral/Moisteriser

2nd time using an OC razor. I normally get some red blotches on part of my neck, this seems dramatically reduced using this razor. A DFS.

NatJag said:
I had an aftershave with bass notes that smelt like a lingering fart. I used to blame it on my mates until I realised it was still there when they weren't.

Out of curiosity what aftershave was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom