Shave of the Day w/c Saturday 20th March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawkeye5 said:
Not really. The ranges are almost the same, a bit further, and a bullet is more effective that an arrow. Also I've mounted a 2X Leupold pistol scope so the aiming is better than the usual pins used for compound bows.

Ah; I was mostly curious about the accuracy.

I recently saw someone put 6 out of 6 arrows in the inner gold (about a 4" circle) at 100 yards, and then go on to repeat it with the next 6. That was with a compound with an optical sight, and he isn't even supposed to be one of the best archers in the club. All the recurve users like myself had curled lips, but the longbow people were too busy trying to find their arrows as usual.

That is some amazing shooting with any type of bow!! I'd like to know how the better archers could beat 12 straight in 4" at 100 yards.

Traditional bows have a big following here in the US. Did you make yours, Andy?

No. We have a few longbow makers in the club, one of whom occasionally makes flatbows which would probably be familiar to you. Target archery here is hemmed in with regulations, and there is no competition class for traditional bows other than longbows, which are strictly defined (you can expect to be disqualified and quite possibly defenestrated if yours has even a suspicion of a recurve). My particular niche is Olympic style recurve, so that's metal riser, laminated limbs and an open or pin sight. Six in an area about the size of a dinner plate at 100 yards is as good as it has ever got for me, and that is definitely not the norm!

Hawkeye5 said:
Hobby week for shave of the day. One of my hobbies is deer hunting, so here is one of my stainless razors with a stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter .41 mag. pistol that I use to hunt deer.

I’m not looking to start any debates regarding how savage and cruel hunting may or may not be, nor any blow-ups about firearms (pun intended). This is a hobby not a political statement.

Deertheme.jpg

Inspired by Hawkeye, thought I'd add a bit of variety as well. Nearly got myself arrested for failing to report one of these when I last checked in at Dallas Airport.

HOHO.jpg

Great shave today.

I'm beginning to feel like a hijacker. Very nice Fido, but what happened to the hammer on the flintlock? Looks like a fine old piece. I gather the blackpower revolver is a non-firing replica?

No idea about the flintlock - a relic from my family antique business many years ago. The pistol is a replica bought in Fort Worth. I forgot to declare it when checking in and was interviewed by police at the airport later. My receipt saved me from arrest. Both guns now hang in my study.

Merkur 38c, Shark Blade (1st time I have used these), TOBS Sandalwood cream, GFT super badger brush, GFT face food.................only 1 slight nick, best shave so far think my technique must be getting better........ ;) ;) 3 passes almost BBS.... :p :p .........maybe next time !!

Should add thanks to Trainman (Dave) for the Sharks........ :shave

Monday

ST James of London Hot Towel Mask

EJ DE89L
Kent H8 Badger Brush
Astra blade (4)
T & H Trafalgar Cream
Asda One Planet ASB

4th Shave from the Astra blade and it was still really comfortable. Very pleased with this blade and think it will definitely be on my rotation. Will try the Iridum next from my sampler and its meant to be a sharp one !! Still pretty impressed with the Asda ASB..cant go wrong for 2 quid !!

Monday

1960 Gillette Fatboy (set at 7)
Feather blade
Col Conk Amber soap
Kent BK4
Boots Witch hazel
Alum block
Gillette Series AS Balm

Monday

Kent BK4
Flare tip Rocket
Swede

Henk's Bay Rum With A Twist
Musgo Real Classic a/s

Spot on combination, that. Henk's BRWAT cream is a citrusy concoction with added spiciness, and I won't attempt to describe it any better than that. The Musgo seems like a good match: add a silvertip, my favourite razor and a cracking blade... :D

Call of the Wild……err……. Turkey?

Wild Turkey season is just around the corner here in Tennessee. Not the bourbon, the bird.

Allen Bailey of Chuckey, Tennessee made the box call in the photo. Mr. Bailey is 70 years old and learned woodworking at his grandfather’s sawmill. He became an avid turkey hunter and guide, and a natural extension of these two skills became making turkey calls.

Mr. Bailey’s calls are a work of art. This one is his inlayed diamond pattern. He makes about 400 calls a year. I’m fortunate to own #33 from this year’s production.

This box call is patterned after the famous Lynch Fool Proof and has a Mahogany lid and Sassafras soundboard.

To celebrate such a grand American bird, a great American razor. My 11/16ths Spike.

Turkey.jpg

Tuesday

Futur (2)
Iridium (6)
EJ Med Silvertip (Thanks Fido)
Scuttle
TOBS Lemon & Lime Cream
Alum
Brut Aquatonic AS
Nivea ASB.

I think that is probably about as far as the Iridium goes, so Blade change for tomorrow.
The EJ is so luxurious! Easy to create a thick slick lather (from a cream anyway - have to see what it is like with a soap). This is the 1st Silvertip i have tried and wow, it is lovely!

Have a nice Tuesday gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom