Shave of the day w/c Saturday 16th January 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the comments on the razors. I'm trying to spread the straight razor gospel! After all, England has a great tradition and was an important center of straight razor craftsmen from small cutlers to large manufacturing.
The neat thing about straights is that each can be customized if you wish. Just change scales! More difficult to accomplish with a DE, but I'm working on that also.

Wednesday

Straight - Hmm
Futur
Iridium Super
Vulfix VS/3
Kent Soap
Clinique Post Shave Healer

Third and probably last attempt with this particular straight. Even after bathing, and using hair conditioner on my beard, it still won't cut.

The Futur was it's usual brilliant self. Set on 3 with no issues.

Ian

Wednesday evening.

Prep: Wash face with a left over sliver of MWF, lather & massage face followed by a hot towel.
Soap: Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort.
Brush: Simpsons Duke 3 Best.
Razor: 7/8ths Boker Celebrated (The Beast).
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel followed by Musgo Real (original).

This is one of the new Boker razors. All of 7/8ths. I've not taken a photo so I've included a stock shot. A really good blade with crappy, misaligned plastic scales which I will change if I decide she is a keeper.

Attachments

• Boker Celebrated.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 68
Thursday

Futur
Iridium Super
Vulfix VS/3
Trumper's Rose Soap
D.R. Harris Pink a/s
Penhaligon's Opus 1870

Glorious.

A quick comment regarding today's Rush avatar. Vapour Trails is probably my least favorite Rush album. Why? Well the music is good, very good, but whoever mastered the album made a right pig's arse of it by setting the levels so high that everything is clipped to buggery, rendering it almost unlistenable. If there are any record producers or mixing/mastering engineers out there - We HAVE volume knobs, so there is no need for YOU to make it louder, we can do that, okay?

Ian

Blyth Spirit said:
Again, a satisfactory outcome. Nice, clean, smooth and tidy...

...pity about my face though!
:shock:

Well, I'm sure it's clean and smooth, but I can't comment regarding it's niceness or tidyness ;)

Ian

Time for a straight shave today. Got back from training, was a nice ride so....
Straight
TOBS sensitive cream
Wilkinson Sword Brush

Now normally i do this, then need to tidy up my neck and chin with the DE.
Did my 2nd pass with the shaver. The have a feel of the face. Cheeks smooth. Neck, pretty damn smooth. Chin pretty damn smooth.
Neck and chin needed a few touch ups, but besides that no need to touch the DE today!! :cool: :D :D :D
Well proud of myself. Its a DFS, got a few more patches that i didnt feel before. Top lip isnt so smooth in the courners of my lip, so thats somewhere to focus for next time.
Finished off with Alum then Nivea ASB.
Comfortable shave :cool:

IanM said:
[
Third and probably last attempt with this particular straight. Even after bathing, and using hair conditioner on my beard, it still won't cut.

The Futur was it's usual brilliant self. Set on 3 with no issues.

Which straight do you have?

Naked Ape said:
The HD was my first ever DE razor. To be honest, I've probably used it twice or thrice since my Futur arrived. Last night's shave reminded me why.

Don't get me wrong: it's not a bad razor by any means (thousands of happy devotees will testify to that). It's just not for me. A touch too aggressive, even when loaded with a milder blade than the Feather. As for going ATG with it -- I daren't risk it.

Not a bad shave. Just not a very enjoyable one.

I would have thought the HD was less aggressive than the Futur as the HD is usually recommended to starters. I have a futur, but currently prefer a Mühle R89, which I would have thought was close to the HD. I currently find the futurs head to large for under my nose.

Thursday evening - something different

Prep: Bay Rum (Dominica)
Soap: Old Spice.
Brush: Semogue 1305 boar.
Razor: Custom 1975 Gillette Knack DE.
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel followed by Dominica Bay Rum.

A unique DE:

Attachments

• Cooncat Bob Bull Mastiff Deluxe XL TTO (Knack).jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 19
Thursday Night

" Had a busy day? Shagged out by 10pm? Can't be arsed with a DE? Reach for the Gillette Sensor Excel. Face lather with a Castle Forbes Lavender-loaded Vulfix Pure. Swipe face and neck in 2 easy passes - one with, one against. Hot and cold water rinse. DFS. JOB DONE."

Sensor: you're my hero... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AaDYzr1BBM&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AaDYzr1 ... re=related</a><!-- m -->

NatJag said:
I would have thought the HD was less aggressive than the Futur as the HD is usually recommended to starters. I have a futur, but currently prefer a Mühle R89, which I would have thought was close to the HD. I currently find the futurs head to large for under my nose.

Hey Nat. As with everything, personal experience/preference. On its top setting (which I've never had the need to use), the Futur might well deserve to be facing charges of crimes against humanity. But I usually have it set between 1.5 - 2.5, sometimes 3.

NatJag said:
Which straight do you have?

None at the moment. It's winging its way back to the supplier to be checked/exchanged, so I can try a blade with a different grind. It was a C. Johnson and Co, made in Sheffield, bought shave ready from a very reputable seller.

NatJag said:

My issue with the HD wasn't releated to aggression, I just struggled to get consistant results with it, so I sold it.

Ian

Friday

Futur
Iridium Super
Vulfix VS/3
Taylor's Lavender Shaving Cream
D.R. Harris Pink a/s
Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet edt

Lovely, especially the Hammam.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.