Not open for further replies.
Tuesday

Lord 'Tech'
Feather (3)
Vulfix Travel Bristle Brush
Erasmic Soap (Bowl)

SD Freshwood AS
Nivea ASB

Not very satisfactory at all, I'm afraid! Huge fall off in performance from yesterday; that blade is as good as gone.

I think that a period of calm is required, so it may be back to the R41 / Derby mix tomorrow.

Hmph!
:(

Monday Night

Merkur 34c HD + Tesco IP
Vulfix Pure
Trumper's Coconut Oil cream
Alum
Trumper's lime skinfood

The HD was my first ever DE razor. To be honest, I've probably used it twice or thrice since my Futur arrived. Last night's shave reminded me why.

Don't get me wrong: it's not a bad razor by any means (thousands of happy devotees will testify to that). It's just not for me. A touch too aggressive, even when loaded with a milder blade than the Feather. As for going ATG with it -- I daren't risk it.

Not a bad shave. Just not a very enjoyable one.

Naked Ape said:
Don't get me wrong: it's not a bad razor by any means (thousands of happy devotees will testify to that). It's just not for me.

I found the same thing with the 34C.

Ian

Tuesday

Mach3
Vulfix VS/3
Trumper Rose Soap
D.R. Harris Pink a/s
Penhaligon's English Fern edt

A quick one pass to tidy things up. Another attempt with the straight this evening.

Ian

Naked Ape said:
The HD was my first ever DE razor. To be honest, I've probably used it twice or thrice since my Futur arrived. Last night's shave reminded me why.

I like it but then again the only other DE I've tried is one of the cheap wilkinson sword plastic ones.

Tuesday

Vulfix 404
JM Fraser's Original Cream
1958 British TV Special
Gillette 365 Blade (2)
Arko Cool Aftershave Cream (with Allantoin) - Energizing, Dynamic & Long Lasting Fragrance apparently.

Daft aside - when I first got the Arko ASC, I didn't realise it wasn't a shaving cream and I tried all sorts to get it to lather with no success :lol: That was 18 months ago and I was still getting to know my way around this stuff.... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Arko Ingredients (INCI): Aqua, Glyceryl Stearate, Ceteareth-20, Ceteareth-12, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Palmitate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Glycerin, Parfum, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Benzyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Petrolatum, Menthyl Lactate, Allantoin, Triethanolamine.

Tuesday Evening

Straight
Ever Ready 1912
GEM Stainless Blade
Vulfix VS/3
Trumper's Rose Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Stropped the straight, and then spent 20 minutes trying to persuade it to actually cut some whiskers. Awful. Dragging, skipping, stalling, regardless of what angle I tried or what pressure I applied.

Gave up, reached for the Ever Ready and had a great, trouble free shave with a blade that had already done 3 shaves. At this moment in time, I can't see a straight working for me AT ALL, given that this is my second time trying (I tried once last year with one), and I'm getting the same results.

Ian

Tuesday Evening:

Prep: Wash face with a left over sliver of MWF, lather & massage face followed by a hot towel.
Soap: Tabac.
Brush: Omega #30005 boar.
Razor: 6/8ths Fredrick's Celebrated.
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel followed by Aqua Velva Blue Ice.

Razor restored and rescaled in Desert Ironwood by Bill Ellis.

Attachments

• Fredericks rescaled, Desert Ironwood.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 13
IanM said:
stropped the straight, and then spent 20 minutes trying to persuade it to actually cut some whiskers. Awful. Dragging, skipping, stalling, regardless of what angle I tried or what pressure I applied.

Gave up, reached for the Ever Ready and had a great, trouble free shave with a blade that had already done 3 shaves. At this moment in time, I can't see a straight working for me AT ALL, given that this is my second time trying (I tried once last year with one), and I'm getting the same results.

Ian

Sounds like your blade could be sharper. A shave ready blade should not hang up or skip. Have you sent it out to be honed?

@Hawkeye: You have some very nice razors. I reckon the pictures alone will tempt many on here to give a straight a go.

@Ian: Sorry to hear your second attempt wasn't so good. Then again, I don't think Fido's was great when he started either.

Vinny's shave for the whole week:
Razor: 70's Black Handled SS
Blade: UK Wilkinson
Brush: Duke 2 Pure
Soap: Kent (MWF)
No aftershave - don't need it
Cologne: Caron Pour Un Homme

Managed to find 15 packets of UK-made Wilkinson Sword blades. That gives me 170 stashed away.

Hawkeye5 said:
[Sounds like your blade could be sharper. A shave ready blade should not hang up or skip. Have you sent it out to be honed?

It came from a reputable supplier and shave-ready. It could be me being a tool, and getting something really wrong, but the supplier has already offered to take the razor back and re-hone it, or exchange it for a different one.

I'm going to have another go tonight. At least I haven't seen any blood!

Ian

Wednesday

Merkur 23C
Astra SP (1)
Semogue 1305
ToBS Cream (Mr Taylor)

Proraso AS
Proraso ASB

Quite a satisfactory outcome for a CC. I haven't used the 23C for a long while and it is actually rather good, much less aggressive than the 34C. However, I think that the handle may be too long for my preference.

On balance I do prefer OC razors...still, onwards and upwards.

Gillette Super Adjustable
Astra Blade
Wilkinson Sword brush
Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna Soap
Alum
ISIS ASB

Absolutely lovely shave. Smooth all over, no irritation, no rough bits. Set the razor on 2 to start off with for the first pass, put it up to 3 for the 2nd and 3rd pass, and its given me great results :cool:
I do quite like this razor, and again the Astras giving me a great shave.

Tuesday Night

Futur + Feather
Vulfix Pure
TOBS Almond cream

The F+F stuttered ATG on t'neck; couple more passes WTG there instead. An okay shave.

Almond was very nice, though - smells like p.160, but knocks up a better lather. Couldn't be arsed with any A/S; nevertheless, my skin still feels good. Wonder if that's down to the Almond?

Hawkeye5 said:
Monday Evening:

Prep: Wash face with a left over sliver of MWF, lather & massage face followed by a hot towel.
Soap: MWF.
Brush: Pre Vilfix Simpson Duke 3 Best.
Razor: 13/16ths Fritz Bracht era Dovo #72.
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel followed by Aqua Velva Blue Ice.

you have some great looking straights Hawkeye.

Tuesday,

Semogue 2009 LE # 7
Wool fat
Gillette # 58
Super Iridium D 3
Alum
Ems Balancing ASB
Tabac

This brush is getting better after only four shaves. I did notice some " dye bleed" in the lather this morning - as is mentioned in the shaving brush section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom