Shave of the day Saturday 22nd - Friday 28th July 2017

That is an understatement. 12hrs on and my face feels as if it has just had a 2 pass shave with a 'normal razor'. Everything just worked!
If I didn't have to have variety.....I would be happy with this on its own!
Yes I would feel the same but I am still pleased to have a variety of razors so there is no chance I will be selling my collection :)

20170727_194224-jpg.15350

Prep: Hot shower, L' oreal charcoal face wash and Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica bath soap
Pre: King of Shaves pre shave oil and hot towel.
Razor: Blackland Sabre (on loan)
Razor blade: GEM Personna
Brush: Saponificio Varesino
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica SE

Firstly a massive thank you to Paul AKA Lann for sending me the Sabre to try out. You are a true gent, really appreciate mate.

Ok no messing about. What did I think of the Sabre.
It looks even cooler in the flesh and has a great balance to it.
Loading the blade was easy and I really liked the GEM blade, smooth and sharp.

Finding the angle wasn't as tough as I'd thought it would be. It was very smooth and pretty efficient. I found it more efficient than the Guerrilla.
I needed a number of touch ups to get a finish I was happy with. This was down to finding and keeping the right angle.
Not bad for my first time with this type of razor though.

The shave was a lot different than I thought it would be. I've seen a number of videos with people using the GEM blades and the sound has put me off trying one in the past. I didn't get the 'scraping butter on toast' feedback with the Sabre.

It will be interesting to see how my latest acquisition, the Ever Ready 1912 compares.

The soap and brush were stunning as usual.
@Wayne Pritchard

Thanks again to Paul for the loan of the Sabre.
@Blademonkey @Looney12345
@wayne mattison

Peace out.
Rob

Last edited:

Prep: Hot shower, L' oreal charcoal face wash and Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica bath soap

Firstly a massive thank you to Paul AKA@Lann for sending me the Sabre to try out. You are a true gent, really appreciate mate.

Finding the angle wasn't as tough as I'd thought it would be. It was very smooth pretty efficient. I found it more efficient than the Guerrilla.
I needed a number of touch ups to get a finish I was happy with. This was down to finding and keeping the right angle.

The shave was a lot different than I thought it would be. I've seen a number of videos with people using the GEM blade and the sound has put me off. I didn't get the 'scraping butter on toast' feedback with the Sabre.

It will be interesting to see how my latest opposition Ever Ready 1912 compares.

@Wayne Pritchard

@wayne mattison

Peace out.
Rob
Well, it a good start.....there is hope for the a Sabre yet with you, thanks for the tag, future tags please, would love to see how this razor grows on you....or not! :)

Bath / Nivea Men Active Wash
Proraso Red Pre Shave
Boots Cologne Lather Cream
Simpsons Colonel X2L
Merkur 37c / Ladas (1)
Lavender witch hazel mixture
Proraso Green ASL
Fendi Di Fendi Absoluto EDT

Everything was looking good until I begun shaving. The first short stroke was tuggy, subsequent strokes were the same, almost painful.
Pass one over I rinsed, applied more proraso pre shave re lathered and went XTG, this was much smoother but not as smooth as I would like.
Pass three was quite smooth, and I ended up with quite a close shave.
After shaving I loosen the cap to rinse the razor out, it was then that I realised the handle wasn't completely tightened.
I was sure I had tightened it properly but mustn't have.
I don't over tighten my razors, but in future I will tighten a little more than usual after tonight's shave.
No damage done, and no rash or burn so I got away lightly this time.
I went in to Boots looking for Nivea Shave Cream, couldn't find it so picked up the Boots cream in a tube. I don't like this cream, the texture and smell don't do it for me, but it was only £1.29 so no great loss. ( I may be becoming a soap snob)!
Finished off with a few sprays of Fendi EDT, and I'm smelling rather pleasant.

Last edited:
Bath / Nivea Men Active Wash
Proraso Red Pre Shave
Boots Cologne Lather Cream
Simpsons Colonel X2L
Merkur 37c / Ladas (1)
Lavender witch hazel mixture
Proraso Green ASL
Fendi Di Fendi Absoluto EDT

Everything was looking good until I begun shaving. The first short stroke was tuggy, subsequent strokes were the same, almost painful.
Pass one over I rinsed, applied more proraso pre shave re lathered and went XTG, this was much smoother but not as smooth as I would like.
Pass three was quite smooth, and I ended up with quite a close shave.
After shaving I loosen the cap to rinse the razor out, it was then that I realised the handle wasn't completely tightened.
I was sure I had tightened it properly but mustn't have.
I don't over tighten my razors, but in future I will tighten a little more than usual after tonight's shave.
No damage done, and no rash or burn so I got away lightly this time.
I went in to Boots looking for Nivea Shave Cream, couldn't find it so picked up the Boots cream in a tube. I don't like this cream, the texture and smell don't do it for me, but it was only £1.29 so no great loss. ( I may be becoming a soap snob)!
Finished off with j few sprays of Fendi EDT, and I'm smelling rather pleasant.
You're not alone, I like most Boots products but their cream is pants imo.

Greetings All,

Thursday shave.

One days' growth and warm shave

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Prorosa Red pre-share
Soap: ES Sandalwood cream
Razor: Roackwell 6C (4P)
Blade: Voskhod (1st)
Brush:RazoRock 400 Noir

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, followed by a shower then Proraso aftershave lotion (red) and Nivea 2 Phase.

My love affair continues. . . 3 passes, BBS and no crimson – Nuff Said

Firstly a massive thank you to Paul AKA@Lann for sending me the Sabre to try out. You are a true gent, really appreciate mate.

Finding the angle wasn't as tough as I'd thought it would be. It was very smooth pretty efficient. I found it more efficient than the Guerrilla.

The shave was a lot different than I thought it would be. I've seen a number of videos with people using the GEM blade and the sound has put me off. I didn't get the 'scraping butter on toast' feedback with the Sabre.

It will be interesting to see how my latest opposition Ever Ready 1912 compares.

@Wayne Pritchard

@wayne mattison

Peace out.
Rob
Thank you Rob for a really informative review. :)

Thank you Rob for a really informative review. :)
PN: The only problem I have is that I can see one hair on the right of my brush that is not hanging out with it's mates.
You told me that you would look after the SV for me. :(

Don't worry too much mate, because I will sort it out when you send it on to me. :cool:

A brush like that needs loads of love................Big Kiss Emoticon.gif

PN: The only problem I have is that I can see one hair on the right of my brush that is not hanging out with it's mates.
You told me that you would look after the SV for me. :(

Don't worry too much mate, because I will sort it out when you send it on to me. :cool:

A brush like that needs loads of love................View attachment 27493

You never give up do you. :p:)

Back
Top Bottom