SE Disappointment

Greetings

The razor looks to me to be absolutely fine so I would also suspect that your angle is too steep. Virtually flat against the face with the head (frame) of the razor seems for most users to give the best results.

GEM Micromatics when new had a little tag on them saying keep the razor flat against the face, perhaps fully flat is a trifle extreme but nearly so (for me at least) seems the perfect angle.

I would also add that whilst there is no learning curve as such any new razor takes a few shaves to 'get it together'.

Regards
Dick.

Thanks for the tips guys. Gave it another go last night and blimey it does shave at a very steep angle. Not perfect yet or anywhere near to be honest but much better than last time, although i do look like ive scratched myself in 2 places soreness was also a lot less. So how many passes should i be looking at per blade ?

atb Paul

JohnnyO said:
4 or 5 days for me also, like Paul above.

Johnny.

Greetings

Exactly the same for me 5 three pass shaves. SE blades especially the readily available stainless PTFE coated ones dull slower than DE blades simply because they are thicker so there is more steel at the cutting edge, by this I mean the grind angle is steeper, whereas DE blades go from sharp to dull in one shave (one shave beyond their limit) SE's take longer.

It is possible to get 8 shaves from a stainless SE blade but at least three of them will be sub par and it it's just not worth pushing them, they will however not make a mess of your face like a knackered DE blade.

Regards
Dick.

I took the Clog Pruf out for a spin tonight, flipping brilliant 2 pass shave.

I use my SE blades 4 times, I could get more but see no need to push it. After using it I take it out, dry it and gently strop it a little and turn it over so I have 2 shaves per side, it seems to work better that way buy YMMV.

I have never needed to do more than 2 passes with any SE razor.

chappers said:
I've now got a 2nd ingrown hair lump this week whilst SE shaving, don't know what im doing wrong but they're bloody sore that much i do know. :-(

Hii there,

i believe this is Nature's way of telling you something's wrong (reflecting on the very famous old song of the same name by Spirit).

Martin

Re: RE: SE Disappointment

pjgh said:
... they shave close naturally, without additional pressure. Can you lighten the stroke any more?
I can try but feel like I'm only using the weight of the razor as it is. They've both appeared around the jaw line, I'm getting a good shave on my cheeks but it's the neck where I seem to have issues. Maybe I'll give the atg on the neck a miss for a while before I end up in a and e [emoji12]

atb Paul

Thought the 1912 shaved quite well on the single wtg pass today, a little weird with the drastic angle almost shearing along the skin. Made a nice noise cutting the beard but no idea how to tackle the chin? Will have some practice wtg before attempting the xtg though.

Could be a nice quick 2 pass shave razor

Shaved the last 2 times using the Gem blades iso Feather. They were very nice smooth shaves. So I reckon my issue was poor angle and not the blade causing the tugging. So keep at it. Practice makes perfect. Just bought 100 Feathers too ! Och well, they're a great shave as well

Back
Top Bottom