SAW 24TH-31ST SAPONOFICIO VARESSIMO

CRSW is fine by me. I've just acquired a "Savon No. 1" sample so would be good to give it a good workover.
Meant to be a winner, I will pull out my spring/summer depending on the weather :)
Sandalwood is one I use infrequently as I absolutely adore the scent. Trying to stretch it out.

Pre: Murdock Avalon pre-shave oil
Soap: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary Edition
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: Schick Injector Dial Adj @7 + Schick Twin(1)

Trying out this 70th Anniversary soap for the first time. Lather is definitely an improvement and takes it to a good quality lather level, although being a bit negative here, it is just on par with many other good quality laters I've had. For example, it still didn't match Tabac.

Scent; oh, this old chestnut. Again I'm wondering "where is it"? I'm thinking that SV is suffering from the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome and I feel like that little boy pointing at the soap and crying "But it isn't wearing any scent at all!". I mean I can just about smell a scent but I couldn't tell you what it is - maybe my nose holes are just not sensitive. I see SV 70th on many SOTDs and FaceBook etc. and many raves about its performance and scent but I don't get it.

The packaging also doesn't do anything for me. It looks like a pretty tin but, like the wooden tub, is impractical. It won't stack very well, probably easy to damage and dedicated to the one soap type. As a novelty it's fine but I think I'd get bored with it very soon.

Back to the shave. No issues with the lather; pleasant and comfortable but nothing to stand out from the (quality) crowd. Post shave feel left my skin feeling taut and dried up much like the Fern scent version. I'll use this soap again tomorrow before giving my final SV verdict.

BTW: Shouldn't we be discussing next week's scent in the original "Soap A Week Club (SAW)....voting for next week's soap" thread?
Hiya, yes the scent should be mind blowing. My sample is about as potent as pot-pourri.
We're thinking of doing CRSW next week, sticking to strong scents and high levels of skin care. You game?

Pre: Proraso - Sandalwood pre-shave
Soap: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary Edition
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair 13061M
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Razor: ATT S2 + Gillette green (1)

Final shave of the week with SV and it was a very good one. No issues with the lather, comfortable easy shave.

My final roundup of the week's use of Saponificio Varesino:
Packaging looks very nice and tasteful but is just not practical, so this loses a point for me. I prefer your standard plastic/glass tub that is stackable, durable and maintenance free. I'll admit that one of the reasons I was drawn to SV was its great looking packaging but now I'm a little wiser, practical and sensible.

Lather: someone stole the scent! Both Felce Aromatica and 70th Anniversary are very pleasant scents but I want more of them, not just a faint memory of the scent. I don't need a homeopathic scent! Performance was substandard in the Felce Aromatica and good quality in the 70th Anniversary. However I can get that quality of lather from the majority of the soaps I own, so nothing here stands out.

Post Shave: Both varieties left my skin feeling taut and dry so I needed a moisturising ASB to follow. For me it's too drying to be used everyday.

So, all in all, I enjoyed getting to know more about this soap and have found out how to get the best out of its properties. I got the 70th Anniversary sample, which was a good move because I don't think I'll go ahead and purchase a whole tub (not that I've got any room for more soaps anyway).

Roll on CRSW tomorrow...

Couldn't agree more the only difference I have found is in the post shave, which with my skin seemed fine. Looking for more cushion and a stronger fragrance with the CRSW. Can anything beat Mystic Waters? The search continues.

Hang on.... It looks like there may be a SAW that I can partake in!!! I actually have some CRSW... Only Vetiver and Summer LE unfortunately, but both are fantastic!

One day I intend to bulk out my CRSW collection, but as you can't get it in the UK now, the postage sucks. Maybe I'll organise a group buy one day!! Don't get excited mind.... Not for a while! :)

Hang on.... It looks like there may be a SAW that I can partake in!!! I actually have some CRSW... Only Vetiver and Summer LE unfortunately, but both are fantastic!

One day I intend to bulk out my CRSW collection, but as you can't get it in the UK now, the postage sucks. Maybe I'll organise a group buy one day!! Don't get excited mind.... Not for a while! :)
What group buy did you say? What tomorrow? What ordering now and your paying?! Matt you shouldn't have :)

Ha ha ha.

No no and no!!!!

Anyway, I'll never manage to beat Nishy the group buy king!!!!
Haha, what a title, enough to get beaten up in the playground! Perhaps I should be honoured a badge and not one with a cock on it as has been circling of late.
Let me know if you do decide a group buy I'm in and I want number 40 ;)

Last shave with the SV MdS today looking forward to some CRSW tomorrow.

Overall
Scent: 8/10
Slickness: 7/10
Cushion: 6/10
Post shave: 7/10

Back
Top Bottom