SAW 24TH-31ST SAPONOFICIO VARESSIMO

Coincidentally I was looking at Sterling's Ozark last night and thinking this could be where I could get my fern fix from. I find Sterling does pack a punch, which is nice.

I wrote to SV asking if perhaps my soap was from a batch with little scent but never got a reply which kind of dulled my appetite for acquiring another. I had the same issue with a NSS soap and contacted Sharon and got an immediate response and explanation/investigation. So that's cast NSS in a much more favourable light.

I have thought about the 70th SV soap as it gets good reviews and it does come in a pretty tin (which won't stack) but TBH I can't be bothered, especially if it lathers like my SV Fern soap. I'm actually trying to reduce my soap count anyway.
Stick to Ozark mountain you won't be disappointed. SV anniversary and MdS I do regard highly, shame about your experiences with their customer service.

Just had my first SV shave of the week, with MdS. This scent is superb a real Gentleman's scent in a similar vein to Mr. Taylors. Very slick and thick lather. It seems more slickness is apparent than cushion which I generally prefer. Used the Blackland with a Persona blade. Wow an aggressive little thing. May switch to my M1 tomorrow. But a fine close shave. Post shave no tightness or drying and lovely soft skin. This is probably down to the ash. Great stuff!
A splash of Proraso a/s let's me know that the shave was very aggressive.

Tomorrow will be with the SV anniversary soap. Another superb scented one, but also seem to get more cushion from the mango.

Faceturbating.

So first shave of the week and using Dolomiti. Supposed scent is Lemon, lime, patchouli, sandalwood and cedarwood. I did not get much scent of anything when it was new and that has not improved with ageing. Bowl lathered and seemed to take an age to get much volume and was pretty thirsty. That being said it did give a nice slick shave with the alumigoose and a fresh feather pro. Post shave feel is pretty good, no skin dryness to speak of.

So first shave of the week and using Dolomiti. Supposed scent is Lemon, lime, patchouli, sandalwood and cedarwood. I did not get much scent of anything when it was new and that has not improved with ageing. Bowl lathered and seemed to take an age to get much volume and was pretty thirsty. That being said it did give a nice slick shave with the alumigoose and a fresh feather pro. Post shave feel is pretty good, no skin dryness to speak of.
My Dolomiti was stronger than my Sterling scents. A lovely soapy cool cologne like scent with fern??

Not bad foam after 15 twirls and another 15 to the opposite side over the can with a soft brush, silvertip.
The scent is green, absolutely, which I love rather than citruses (I'm Spanish and feed up of oranges, lemon every where...) and the foam, being a hard three mills soap, improve with the use (tomorrow better than today). Two passes shave with a Croma Diamong blade in his fourth use and the aftershave told me about the hot face and the need to be cared mainly on Monday.
Foam is a little bit airy as witnesses by the bubbles. After this picture I bring it down to the bowl for some more twirls and increase its cushion. But there are further protective soaps than this one.

IMG_20160125_065339052_HDR_zpsnhqoq5sf.jpg

Regarding the wood container, I think is huge and after buy one alone from an Spanish Web Shop, I'm using it with MdC from a strange desserts glass cup that French brand use to sell its 130g, 4,5oz soap. The wood it isn't rotten yet and is far better than the kitsch cup.

Pre: Murdock Avalon pre-shave oil
Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Felce Aromatica
Brush: Omega boar 10005
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: PAL Injecto-matic + chick blade (3)

Lather was better than yesterday which I think is because the soap has had a day to hydrate and likes daily use. I still find the later initially overly frothy and then settles down to a dense sticky consistency. There does seem quite a lot of residual lubrication as the skin feels slippery when pulling taut. I'd normally say that this helps to give a smooth shave but today shave just wasn't very rewarding. I think I'm off my game today and the Injecto-matic razor didn't feel as good as usual so I'm not going to blame the soap today. I'll put it down to one of those days and give it another go tomorrow.
I'm beginning to agree with Erik in that it does dry my skin a bit more than I'd like.

Not bad foam after 15 twirls and another 15 to the opposite side over the can with a soft brush, silvertip.
The scent is green, absolutely, which I love rather than citruses (I'm Spanish and feed up of oranges, lemon every where...) and the foam, being a hard three mills soap, improve with the use (tomorrow better than today). Two passes shave with a Croma Diamong blade in his fourth use and the aftershave told me about the hot face and the need to be cared mainly on Monday.
Foam is a little bit airy as witnesses by the bubbles. After this picture I bring it down to the bowl for some more twirls and increase its cushion. But there are further protective soaps than this one.

IMG_20160125_065339052_HDR_zpsnhqoq5sf.jpg
Which soap are you using Thalasos? It does seem protection isn't as great in SV soaps.

Pre: Murdock Avalon pre-shave oil
Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Felce Aromatica
Brush: Omega boar 10005
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: PAL Injecto-matic + chick blade (3)

Lather was better than yesterday which I think is because the soap has had a day to hydrate and likes daily use. I still find the later initially overly frothy and then settles down to a dense sticky consistency. There does seem quite a lot of residual lubrication as the skin feels slippery when pulling taut. I'd normally say that this helps to give a smooth shave but today shave just wasn't very rewarding. I think I'm off my game today and the Injecto-matic razor didn't feel as good as usual so I'm not going to blame the soap today. I'll put it down to one of those days and give it another go tomorrow.
I'm beginning to agree with Erik in that it does dry my skin a bit more than I'd like.
I'm considering switching to a milder razor for the rest of the week. The blackbird has hit me for 6 with the Manna yesterday. Murdock pre shave is a great idea too. Does MdS cause you dryness?

I'm considering switching to a milder razor for the rest of the week. The blackbird has hit me for 6 with the Manna yesterday. Murdock pre shave is a great idea too. Does MdS cause you dryness?

Yes, milder razor for me too. Merkur Progress for the next few days so I can dial down accordingly. I only have the Fern SV soap. I've actually just ordered a 70th anniversary soap sample from ShaveDash so this should hit me this week in time for the SAW.

"PICTURE HEAVY SORRY"
Morning all...here goes my thoughts of Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Edition Soap.
I am by no means an expert in any of this shaving lark but lets go.

Packaging: The soap tin is very attractive being an all metal affair with a very ornate lid to the soap which itself comes in a plastic container to protect it a little.
20160125_083223.jpg

Soap: The soap is a triple milled hard soap..very hard indeed and was loose in the metal tin when i received it.
The scent of the soap comes across to me as a very expensive and lush scent..seems floral and citrus to my nose.
Sorry not very good at explaining the fragrance.
piramide-olfattiva-ANNIVERSARIO-soap_1.jpg

Here is the link explaining more on the scent>>>http://www.saponificiovaresino.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24_35&products_id=128
I bloomed the soap for a few minutes to soften the puck up before lathering it up with the Shavemac LE Xmas Brush.Loaded the brush for about 30 seconds.
The soap feels very slick to me with some cushioning on my face,it does not dry out on the face to quick either which i liked.
20160125_083447.jpg

20160125_083507.jpg

Picture of the loaded brush.
20160125_083836.jpg

And after face lathering.
20160125_084134.jpg

I managed to do three of the usual passes with the amount of soap that was loaded onto the brush and there was room still for one more easily.
Conclusion:
It was a cracking shave for me with no irritation/cushioning/slickness from a great soap.
Finished it off with the Aftershave which is more like a balm but none the less very soothing and enjoyable.
Thanks for reading sorry for the amount of pictures :eek:

20160125_090038.jpg

20160125_090130.jpg

Back
Top Bottom