Sad - but true

Bechet45 said:
The guys felt they had been abandoned and could mount a damned good argument to demonstrate the point. The then undiagnosed dyslexics, slow learners, learning difficulties, un-encouraged, problem families. At what point do we start blaming children for having failed the system rather than the system having failed them? (I noted someone doing just this earlier.)

I agree that it's certainly not always fair to blame the children themselves for their problems. Today my older son's nine-year-old friend came to play. This lad is absolutely lovely, politer than my son and a pleasure to have visit, but his mum has had various kids with different fathers and quite clearly has no time or inclination to spend helping him with homework or even just reading to him. His dad sounds like a big kid himself, apparently owning five Playstations and letting his son watch 18 rated films. He doesn't do well at school and is already coming out with negative comments about teachers and school in general. I worry about him a lot as the odds are stacked against him in so many ways. Society isn't fair and we can't always blame the kids.

That said last year I asked a girl in a Tesco Metro for a packet of bread sauce mix and she hadn't heard of it. Shocking! :mad:

soapalchemist said:
Of course Pigcat, you know that the really shocking thing is that you're not making that bread sauce from scratch.:)

:angel:

I think Mrs PC has made it a couple of times, but it's just so easy from the packet when there's the rest of the roast to do. :blush: We always make apple sauce and I once dug up horseradish that was growing wild and made that in to sauce, not very successfully mind you. Hmmm...what else...oh yes I'm guilty of buying mint sauce in a jar when there's loads of mint in the garden. I think we've only made that from scratch once or twice.

Re: RE: Sad - but true

pugh-the-special-one said:
I'm now going to give you a heads up of how to get some deserving and satisfying cash back from Tesco's, here goes now I love my fruit and especially New Zealand Jazz apples very expensive, so whenever I see them loose I pick myself half a dozen make my way over to the self serve then plonk them on the scanner thingy which will ask you to tell them what fruit and what apples they are, so obviously you will tell them they are the cheapest apples in the store so you scan you pay and away you go with a large finger up yours Tesco's.

That is theft by deception. It is amazing how fast ones opinion can change of people. Casual shoplifting is despicable.

Jamie is a very nice guy, helpful and generous. Jamie does a bit of pilfering from Tesco. Will both those thoughts not fit into your head simultaneously? You condemn a man for a few apples? Deport him to Australia in chains shall we?

Do I condone his behaviour re the apples? No, I don't. Is Jamie still a smashing bloke after his confession? Yes, he is, same as he was before. Would Tesco give away free apples if only the serious shop-lifting would stop? By the lorry load, I'm sure.

How many have helped themselves to a grape or three - just to test their sweetness?

We used to bring apples back from the antipodes by the thousands on tons. First cases aboard were opened and placed at each entrance to the accommodation and every entry hatch to the holds.

Bechet45 said:
No, Rob, you don't. Just like the first train going last, they study for an NVQ1 and then get a job - or try to - subject to passing the exam. Or so I was told, I've never worked that far down the food chain - but I do remember that the first step to achieving Chartered Engineer status was passing my 'O'-Levels because my Cadetship depended on me having them. I studied for my 'O'-Levels before I was offered a Cadetship. I went to Grammar School but my scholarship place there was subject to passing exams, for which I studied before I was old enough to go to Grammar School. And so on and so forth ad nauseum. And all this is entirely beside the point - the guys felt they had been abandoned and could mount a damned good argument to demonstrate the point. The then undiagnosed dyslexics, slow learners, learning difficulties, un-encouraged, problem families. At what point do we start blaming children for having failed the system rather than the system having failed them? (I noted someone doing just this earlier.)

Google is your friend - look up City and Guilds and read about NVQs and SVQs.

Given that these youngsters required remedial English and maths it's not surprising that their reasoning and logical was a bit faulty. However as a mentor and guide did you not consider pointing out the fallacy of their argument that they have been abandoned? The fact that they were in further education classes paid from the public purse means that they were being given a second chance rather than being abandoned.

You are a widely travelled man - did it not cross your mind to point out to them that some other societies put a far higher value on education and would never have anything like the opportunities to learn that your young friends had?

Still, when you are President of the Republic of England, you can de-criminalise drugs and make them freely available on the NHS - that should ensure a lifetime on the dole but I guess that doesn't matter in your laissez-faire society. Seems quite apt for a thread called sad - but true.

Sheesh! but you are so right, Rob. Why on earth didn't I think of those things and tell them to the kids - what an opportunity I missed!

Oops! you've done it again. When England/UK has a President - or whatever we call him/her, the President won't have powers such as you describe. We have Parliament for that, then and now.

Tanguero said:
I'm now going to give you a heads up of how to get some deserving and satisfying cash back from Tesco's, here goes now I love my fruit and especially New Zealand Jazz apples very expensive, so whenever I see them loose I pick myself half a dozen make my way over to the self serve then plonk them on the scanner thingy which will ask you to tell them what fruit and what apples they are, so obviously you will tell them they are the cheapest apples in the store so you scan you pay and away you go with a large finger up yours Tesco's.

That is theft by deception. It is amazing how fast ones opinion can change of people. Casual shoplifting is despicable.

Coming from a company that fed you me and a few million British people Horse meat for god knows how many years and they barely got away with a slap on the wrist and I see it as a poor form of compensation they've taken a lot more money off me through the years than I will ever take off them FUCK THEM! I'm the type of person that will go the extra mile to help the right people never made a insurance compensation claim in my life home or car, never claimed benefit even when I was entitled to it, I confront trouble makers in my community my neighbours call around regular I class myself as a honest person but when I deal with multi national corporations I have a different mindset after all we are talking about the biggest criminals on the planet, maybe I should have charged you more than the miserly £10 for honing your Kamisori and actually given Tesco rates which would have been more fitting.

Defending someone who steals from a shop on the basis that it is "casual pilfering" or justifying it by the prices charged by the shop is the real "Sad but true" here.

Nice bloke or not - stealing is stealing, a thief is a thief. The fact that it seems to be accepted here to the point that not only will someone admit to it in a public forum, but suggest that others do likewise then have these views supported by other members of the forum, I find totally baffling. Clearly my standards of honesty are at odds with the accepted standards of behaviour here. Sad, but true indeed.

Tanguero said:

Coming from a company that fed you me and a few million British people Horse meat for god knows how many years and they barely got away with a slap on the wrist and I see it as a poor form of compensation they've taken a lot more money off me through the years than I will ever take off them FUCK THEM! I'm the type of person that will go the extra mile to help the right people never made a insurance compensation claim in my life home or car, never claimed benefit even when I was entitled to it, I confront trouble makers in my community my neighbours call around regular I class myself as a honest person but when I deal with multi national corporations I have a different mindset after all we are talking about the biggest criminals on the planet, maybe I should have charged you more than the miserly £10 for honing your Kamisori and actually given Tesco rates which would have been more fitting.

Stealing is stealing is stealing no matter how you justify it to yourself. Our definitions of an "honest person" are clearly very different.

I fervently wish I had seen that post of yours before I ended up sending my razor to a self confessed thief.

It would seem that my version of honesty puts me in a minority here so I will trouble you no further.

Back in the room.....

I don't have any issue with people, young or old, that lack knowledge.

I've worked in Technical Support for almost 11 years, and plenty of people have NO grasp of how stuff works, and most of the time, these are the easiest people to deal with as they just do what you ask them, and accept your advice.

The ones that simply don't or won't listen are the ones that get my back up.

As long as people have a willingness to learn, there is hope.

Ian

Tanguero said:
Defending someone who steals from a shop on the basis that it is "casual pilfering" or justifying it by the prices charged by the shop is the real "Sad but true" here.

Nice bloke or not - stealing is stealing, a thief is a thief. The fact that it seems to be accepted here to the point that not only will someone admit to it in a public forum, but suggest that others do likewise then have these views supported by other members of the forum, I find totally baffling. Clearly my standards of honesty are at odds with the accepted standards of behaviour here. Sad, but true indeed.

Tanguero said:

Stealing is stealing is stealing no matter how you justify it to yourself. Our definitions of an "honest person" are clearly very different.

I fervently wish I had seen that post of yours before I ended up sending my razor to a self confessed thief.

It would seem that my version of honesty puts me in a minority here so I will trouble you no further.

I would love to know your occupation? I'm a Carpenter by the way.

shakespeare said:
Gentlemen, I teach three days a week in an Academy (basically, what used to be called a Secondary Modern and - by the time I got to "big school"- a Comprehensive). Now, I know that at nearly 55, I can be considered an 'old fart' but I sometimes truly, truly and deeply despair the lack of general knowledge, basic levels of literacy and basic levels of numeracy that plague our educational system. I'm not going to go into a long rant here - I could, but I don't want to bore you all to tears! Just know, that the next time a politician (of any political flavour) stands at a podium and announces:
"...during our term of office, GCSE/A level passes at A-C grades rose from X% to XX%"
... that, by and large, it's all boll*@&s!

'Nuff said!

Thank you. I am so fed up of hearing, year on year, how much better our students are doing.

soapalchemist said:
It's not really young people I'm bemoaning (though I could if you get me on to their lack of ability to do mental arithmetic); it's the disconnect between real food and the crap that fills a lot of people's trolleys. I often see people checking out, obviously for a family given the amount of stuff, and there isn't one item that you could recognise as actual food.

.. and what gets me here is when they will barely look at, say, a courgette or an aubergine, but happily shovel in a burger made of mechanically recovered meat covered in gallons of unspecified goo.

Go figure as they say

Back
Top Bottom