S.O.T.D. Saturday 6th May to Friday 12th May 2017

SOTD 20170507

9vjnUDp.jpg

Brush: J&T® lacewood / Tuxedo synthetic 30 mm.
Shaving soap: Proraso.
Razor: Blackland "Blackbird" OC with long (101 mm) handle.
Blade: Racer Super Class Platinum (2).
After shave: Proraso.

The Blackbird is a very effective razor.

Very smooth !

Have a nice Sunday, gentlemen ... ;)

SOTD:7th May 2017.
B2.jpg
Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: hot shower:/Cien~Men: Tropical blast Shower Gel & Shampoo / warm wet flannel to my face.

Pre:

Freshwood Brushless Shave Cream .

Brush: Franks Shaving-20mm Synthetic.

Bowl Lather.

Cream: Proraso Euc/Mnthol.(sample size)

Blade: Derby Extra .(O) / Voskhod(0)

Razor:Merkur 34C .

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Peppermint Oil & Witch Hazel Mixture./Brut:Attraction totale A/S.

Aloe Vera gel .

Greetings,

After yesterday's wonderful shave...

I've learn't something today, that Derby blades have shown me
why they have got such a bad reputation....

In the past i've got along fine with them,today i started my shave with the blade that i used yesterday, the first pass was fine, then on the second pass, it started to feel tuggy and resulted in giving me a rather nasty nick and some weepers on the bottom right hand side corner of my mouth...

i instantly stopped,got my faithful alum block, applied it to the nick. stinging like a illegitimate for a few seconds..but stopped the bleeding..i then changed the blade with a fresh one,..which didn't make no difference to the shave at all..

So i ended up swapping it for a Voshkod blade, that i know pairs up well with my 34C ..and carried on
with the shave which went to plan with no more nicks or weepers..

Let me say i don't expect to get a pedantically perfect 10 out of 10 shave, each time i shave..its part of the shaving fun that we are all going to get the odd nick & weepers from time to time,.. but i haven't had a nasty nick for along time, this has only
happened with Derby Extra blades.
Yesterday's shave went to plan, and i've used a derby in my 34C before without any problems..

My gut feeling tells me me not to Shave with Derby extra's again...they are the only blades that i've finally had problems with, i bought them when i first started DE shaving because they where cheap, and didn't know any better..i suppose every
DE shaver has fell down the same rabbit hole.

"You live and learn,.sometimes with a biting sting"

i've now disposed of the remaining 60+ Derby extras once bitten, and all that.."..Prevention, rather than cure..

I considered doing a PIF with them on TSR, but this would be a dangerous insult to TSR members, to pass on a unpredictable intermittent dangerous pile of shite. Pardon my choice of words Readers...

The shave wasn't all "doom & gloom" the other items i used,made it a pleasurable one.;)

Enjoy your sunday,ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:
SOTD: 07/05/2017

Prep: warm shower
Razor: Frankenrazor – Muhle R41 head and EJ89 3D Laser handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Parker Black Badger
Soap: Razorock XXX
Post-shave: warm water, cold water, Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic, The Stray Whisker aftershave balm, Razorock XXX Aftershave Splash

20170506_132711.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my Frankenrazor:

20170506_132834.jpg
20170506_133708.jpg
20170506_133920.jpg

Over the last few months I have been adapting my XTG pass and no ATG pass on my neck. WTG on my neck is from right to left, so XTG is from the top/bottom of my neck. On my second pass I shave up from the bottom of my neck to about half way, then using a technique I picked up from Geofatboy I shave diagonally XTG from the top of my neck. On the right side of my neck I do the same but also have to do this from half way up my neck to my jawline.

Last night I watched the review of the Muhle R41 by Nick of Sorrell Shaves. So I applied no pressure when using my Frankenrazor. The result was no cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Razorock XXX made a really nice lather with a great scent. My face and neck are very smooth, I smell great thanks to the aftershave splash and I feel great. Very happy! :D

Last edited:
[ATTACHpreferl]25121[/ATTACH]​

Prep: hot shower:/Cien~Men: Tropical blast Shower Gel & Shampoo / warm wet flannel to my face.

Pre:

Bowl Lather.

Aloe Vera gel .

Greetings,

why they got such a bad reputation....

In the past i've got along fine with them,today i started my shave with the blade that i used yesterday, the first pass was fine, then on the second pass, it started to feel tuggy and resulted in giving me a rather nasty nick and some weepers on the bottom right hand side corner of my mouth...

i instantly stopped,got my faithful alum block, applied it to the nick. stinging like a illegitimate for a few seconds..but stopped the bleeding..i then changed the blade with a fresh one,..which didn't make no difference to the shave at all..

So i ended up swapping it for a Voshkod blade, that i know pairs up well with my 34C ..and carried on
with the shave which went to plan with no more nicks or bleeders..

Let me say i don't expect to get a pedantically perfect 10 out of 10 shave, each time i shave..its part of the shaving fun that we are all going to get the odd nick & weepers from time to time,.. but i haven't had a nasty nick for along time, this has only
Yesterday's shave went to plan, and i've used a derby in my 34C before without any problems..

My gut feeling tells me me not to Shave with Derby extra's again...they are the only blades that i've finally had problems with, i bought them when i first started DE shaving because they where cheap, and didn't know any better..i suppose every

i've now disposed of the remaining 60+ Derby extras once bitten, and all that.."..Prevention, rather than cure..

I considered doing a PIF with them on TSR, but this would be a dangerous insult to TSR members, to pass on a unpredictable intermittent dangerous pile of shite. Pardon my choice of words Readers...

The shave wasn't all "doom & gloom" the other items i used,made it a pleasurable one.;)

Aye the alum block comes in handy now and again PF, +1 on the Aloe Vera Gel.I prefer it to my ASB's as it's not as greasy.;)

SOTD: 07/05/2017

Prep: warm shower
Razor: Frankinrazor – Muhle R41 head and EJ89 3D Laser handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Parker Black Badger
Soap: Razorock XXX
Post-shave: warm water, cold water, Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic, The Stray Whisker aftershave balm, Razorock XXX Aftershave Splash

View attachment 25127

Here are a few pictures of my Frankinrazor:

View attachment 25124
View attachment 25125
View attachment 25126

Over the last few months I have been adapting my XTG pass and no ATG pass on my neck. WTG on my neck is from right to left, so XTG is from the top/bottom of my neck. On my second pass I shave up from the bottom of my neck to about half way, them using a technique I picked up from Geofatboy I shave diagonally XTG from the top of my neck. On the right side of my neck I do the same but also have to do this from half way up my neck to my jawline.

Last night I watched the review of the Muhle R41 by Nick of Sorrell Shaves. So I applied no pressure when using my Frankinrazor. The result was no cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Razorock XXX made a really nice lather with a great scent. My face and neck are very smooth, I smell great thanks to the aftershave splash and I feel great. Very happy! :D
That's a wonderful hybrid frankenrazor..when i first got my R41 i had problems with irritation, so i put my Gillette tech aluminium handle on it, and this instantly improved my shave resulting in hardly any irritation at all..but since i've learn't my technique better, and gained my shaving confidence, i can now use the original handle,.i love my R41 it always performs efficiently giving me a sublime shave.+1 on the Rapira Swedish Supersteel & the Lucky tiger ,both favorites of mine .Regards.;)

Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
Pre shave - Proraso
Razor – Weber ARC
Blade – Permasharp
Brush - 'Mama Chub' (Chubby 2 Two Band)
Soap – Wholly Kaw – Monaco Royale
Post - Cold water rinse, Chatillon Lux – Bon Vivant Post Shave Toner

Lovely shave! Wholly Kaw is another 5* soap, and Monaco Royale really hit the spot...what a joy. :)

Aye the alum block comes in handy now and again PF, +1 on the Aloe Vera Gel.I prefer it to my ASB's as it's not as greasy.;)
Your right about the alum block,Pat..i only use it for emergencies, i don't use it after i've shaved, it doesn't agree with me.. The Aloe Vera Gel, is a recent purchase and what a fantastic one it is..it only cost me a pound!..excellent stuff,a instant favourite.;)

Last edited:
Sunday's shave.

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Coal Tar Soap.
Razor - Hone 15.
Blade - Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow (day 4).
Soap - Muhle Sea Buckthorn Shaving Soap.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Post shave - Cold water splash, followed by Boots Distilled Witch Hazel.

Went for a very simple shave today, 2 passes - shaving soap and blade.

Good shave, skin feeling food.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

All the best,

Chris

2l9gtgj.jpg

Brush: Shavemac Americana D01 Silvertip
Razor: Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed 'J3' w/ Supermax Super Platinum (2)
Soap: Mitchells Wool Fat

Return of The Fat. A marriage in heaven with the Shavemac, a rich luxurious lather. Very thick, creamy and protecting. The brush holds so much, always amazes me how much it holds, releases very well too. The Gillette was a superb shave, no irritations or issues except catching my adams apple which is user error. Finished off with my favourite post shave routine and some Myrsol Plastic aftershave, nice little menthol hit.

View attachment 25121

Prep: hot shower:/Cien~Men: Tropical blast Shower Gel & Shampoo / warm wet flannel to my face.I

Pre:

Bowl Lather.

Aloe Vera gel .

Greetings,

why they got such a bad reputation....

with the shave which went to plan with no more nicks or bleeders..

Sorry to hear that the Derby Extra's have not worked for you. I have always found them a safe, mild and relatively risk free blade. That said, I tend to use when traveling (as there is a pack in my travel wash bag) and I find that they work with my iKon 101 (YMMV :)), which I use when traveling as its bullet proof and usually bin (the blades) after 1 or 2 shaves.

All the best,

Chris

Your right about the alum block,Pat..i only use it for emergencies, i don't use it after ive shaved, it doesn't agree with me.. The Aloe Vera Gel, is a recent purchase and what a fantastic one it is..it only cost me a pound!..excellent stuff,a instant favourite.;)

Ye my alum block is for emergencies only too, doesn't make an appearance much thankfully.
What a bargain you got re the aloe vera gel, I was about £7.50 although I got a second tube for a penny on a deal at the time.

Sorry to hear that the Derby Extra's have not worked for you. I have always found them a safe, mild and relatively risk free blade. That said, I tend to use when traveling (as there is a pack in my travel wash bag) and I find that they work with my iKon 101 (YMMV :)), which I use when traveling as its bullet proof and usually bin (the blades) after 1 or 2 shaves.

All the best,

Chris
They did work for me..i normally use to have good results with them in my R41 or Fatip grande, and my Merkur 34C.and truthfully had no problems...But after today's shave ,this has made me not a fan of them anymore..Regards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom