S.O.T.D. Saturday 6th May to Friday 12th May 2017

8F27AB95-4D5B-491B-87FE-66072D12FC70_zpsa6p70rvu.jpg

Pre:
Valobra Glicerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: MWF
Razor: ATT H2 Open Comb
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword (1)
Splash: APR Bois de santal verveine
EDP: L'artisan Fou d'absinthe

After two sensational shaves with the ATT H2 using a Polsilver blade, I changed things up with a NOS Wilkie Super Sword. The H2 is in the same aggression range as the Muhle R41 - some say more so. Well, loading up a Super Sword blade turned this set-up into a serious weapon. So, so sharp! I used a very light touch, and the shave was quite comfortable, and unbelievably efficient. One pass yielded a socially acceptable shave +, two passes a DFS+, and 3 passes BBS.
No weepers or nicks, but my skin certainly knew it had been scraped with a very sharp edge, and the Myrsol Emulsion was welcome.
A fascinating shave. If I was pushed for time, I'd happily do a single pass with shave and be confident is a work or social situation. However, I feel that its strength would be effortlessly mowing down a week's growth to a DFS is two quick passes.

View attachment 25206 SOTD 12th May

Pre....Shower / BBA Shave Oil
Razor....Merkur R41 (2013)
Blade....Personna 74 #6
Soap....Klar Kabinett
Brush....Semouge 2000
Post....Thayers lavender
EDP....Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

The perfect shave, the 41 paired with the 74 is a match made in heaven .

Have a great day people.......:)
8F27AB95-4D5B-491B-87FE-66072D12FC70_zpsa6p70rvu.jpg

Pre:
Valobra Glicerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus

Soap: MWF
Razor: ATT H2 Open Comb
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword (1)
Splash: APR Bois de santal verveine
EDP: L'artisan Fou d'absinthe

After two sensational shaves with the ATT H2 using a Polsilver blade, I changed things up with a NOS Wilkie Super Sword. The H2 is in the same aggression range as the Muhle R41 - some say more so. Well, loading up a Super Sword blade turned this set-up into a serious weapon. So, so sharp! I used a very light touch, and the shave was quite comfortable, and unbelievably efficient. One pass yielded a socially acceptable shave +, two passes a DFS+, and 3 passes BBS.
No weepers or nicks, but my skin certainly knew it had been scraped with a very sharp edge, and the Myrsol Emulsion was welcome.
A fascinating shave. If I was pushed for time, I'd happily do a single pass with shave and be confident is a work or social situation. However, I feel that its strength would be effortlessly mowing down a week's growth to a DFS is two quick passes.
A great soap to use with the H2, very protective with a great skin feel afterwards. :)

Prep: Hot shower, Nivea face scrub and L'Oreal charcoal face wash
Pre: King of shaves pre shave oil
Razor: Guerrilla
Razor blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Saponifico Varesino
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Soap: Saponifico Varesino Felce Aromatica
Post: Thayers witch hazel and Dove sensitive aftershave balm

OK no messing about, onto the razor. But before I go any further. I haven't been this excited about anything for along time (I know I really should get out more) and I really wanted this razor to be great. I've tried a few high end razors and been either dissapointed or I simply didn't get on with them.
I will try and be as unbiased as possible.

I love the look of the razor and the finishing is impeccable. The weight is great and it feels good in the hand too.

No issues loading the blade, with a healthy amount of blade exposure. Screwing the handle on is a joy and locks everything down very securely.

The handle. It's safe to say this is the one thing which has give people most concern.
Is it slippery? Yes it is BUT. I had used shaving oil and didn't wash my hands properly so it was slippery until I washed my hands and handle with soap. If there was more grip on the handle I don't think this would have caused an issue.
After I cleaned my hands and handle there wasn't any issues with grip. A small thing but I thought it best to mention it.

Onto the shave: I found it very, very smooth. It is on the mild side but efficient...in most places. I found I needed a number of passes around the corners of my mouth (a couple of very minor weepers) and under my chin.
This isn't a major concern to me as I do have this with most razors. Plus this is my first time using this razor.
I also think it would perform better with a sharper blade.
I'll be trying a Polsilver on my next shave.

The end results were excellent. I'm happy and no buyers remorse, which is something I do suffer with so that can only be good sign.

I hope this was useful?

Cheers and have a good weekend.
Rob

Tonight's shave..

Hot bath, Nivea Sensitive Body Wash
Proraso Pre Shave
DE89L/Derby Extra 1
Tabac Soap
Mason Pearson Pure Badger
Cold rinse
Boots Freshwood Aftershave Balm
Ralph Lauren Polo No 1 A/S

A nice effective three pass shave with no mishaps.

It was nice to be back to my usual routine of a hot bath after taking showers in a caravan for four nights.

Friday 12th May 2017
sotd 12th may.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: iKon 101 + OSS Handle
Blade: BIC Astor (#1)
Brush: Maseto 2 Band Finest 24mm
Soap: Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime
AS: Nivea Originals balm.

Another great shave, the BIC Astor blade worked well in the iKon 101, the BIC Chrome is blade I really like and the Astor blade seems quite good so far, not as sharp but very smooth. The Maseto brush performed well but still seems to be trying to keep the lather to itself.

OK no messing about, onto the razor. But before I go any further. I haven't been this excited about anything for along time (I know I really should get out more) and I really wanted this razor to be great. I've tried a few high end razors and been either dissapointed or I simply didn't get on with them.

I love the look of the razor and the finishing is impeccable. The weight is great and it feels good in the hand too.

No issues loading the blade, with a healthy amount of blade exposure. Screwing the handle on is a joy and locks everything down very securely.

The handle. It's safe to say this is the one thing which has give people most concern.
Is it slippery? Yes it is BUT. I had used shaving oil and didn't wash my hands properly so it was slippery until I washed my hands and handle with soap. If there was more grip on the handle I don't think this would have caused an issue.
After I cleaned my hands and handle there wasn't any issues with grip. A small thing but I thought it best to mention it.

Onto the shave: I found it very, very smooth. It is on the mild side but efficient...in most places. I found I needed a number of passes around the corners of my mouth (a couple of very minor weepers) and under my chin.
This isn't a major concern to me as I do have this with most razors. Plus this is my first time using this razor.

The end results were excellent. I'm happy and no buyers remorse, which is something I do suffer with so that can only be good sign.

@patw @Looney12345 @Blademonkey

I hope this was useful?

Rob

Glad to hear you're not disappointed with the Guerrilla, hopefully the Polsilver will hit the sweet spot.

Thanks for the tag fella !!!;)

Friday 12th May 2017
View attachment 25222
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: iKon 101 + OSS Handle
Blade: BIC Astor (#1)
Brush: Maseto 2 Band Finest 24mm
Soap: Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime
AS: Nivea Originals balm.

Another great shave, the BIC Astor blade worked well in the iKon 101, the BIC Chrome is blade I really like and the Astor blade seems quite good so far, not as sharp but very smooth. The Maseto brush performed well but still seems to be trying to keep the lather to itself.
Greedy brush! :)

I hope this was useful?

Rob

Great write-up, Rob! Cheers [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom