S.O.T.D. Saturday 6th May to Friday 12th May 2017

Lovely photograph, must pop into the Grroom Room and get some Mountain Yew.
b5jr0x.jpg

Brush: Vulfix 404 'Grosnevor'
Razor: Hone Type 15 w/ Muhle Razor Blade (1)
Soap: The Gentleman's Groom Room Mountain Yew
Post: Thayers Rose, Aloe Vera Gel, 4711 aftershave & cologne

This was going to be my Sunday shave but I couldn't resist using the Hone, it's been far too long since it came up in rotation (23/4). Paired it with a Muhle blade I had received a free pack of last week with the Parker. My first ever use of the blade and it was pretty good, I know that razor manufacturers own brand blades aren't highly regarded but my initial thoughts of these are quite positive. Certainly well better than blades like Treets of any kind. The shave was uneventful, which is a good thing. Forgot how heavy and efficient the Hone is. I just love the look and feel of it, very photogenic razor.

The soap was Mountain Yew, one of my favourite scents across all my soaps, a very rich, spicy soap. For a glycerine based soap it is fantastic, never had an issue loading or building a good lather and today was no different. I paired it with some 4711, can't beat it, classics become classics for a reason, if only it had staying power it would be perfect.

wbxm61.jpg

Brush: Frank Shaving Pur Tech 26mm synthetic
Razor: Gibbs No 17 w/ vintage Gibbs blade (1)
Soap: Le Pere Lucien Italian Barbershop

My first and last use of a vintage Gibbs blade, felt like I was using sandpaper. Very rough and tuggy, from the first swipe it felt like my facial hair is being twanged by a harpist. Oddly enough no irritation, cuts and the end result was smooth and very clean as I have come to expect from the razor. Comfort factor during the shave non-existent. Perhaps I may repeat the blade with the 16 tomorrow but I am quite happy adapting my blades.

LPL is really growing on me, quite a good scent and although it is a very small and fiddly container I would buy it again. Great performance and you can scoop a little out to negate the container issues. Highly recommend this soap.

Prep: Hot shower, Nivea face scrub and L'Oreal charcoal face wash
Pre: King of shaves pre shave oil
Razor: Guerrilla
Razor blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Saponifico Varesino
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Soap: Saponifico Varesino Felce Aromatica
Post: Thayers witch hazel and Dove sensitive aftershave balm

OK no messing about, onto the razor. But before I go any further. I haven't been this excited about anything for along time (I know I really should get out more) and I really wanted this razor to be great. I've tried a few high end razors and been either dissapointed or I simply didn't get on with them.
I will try and be as unbiased as possible.

I love the look of the razor and the finishing is impeccable. The weight is great and it feels good in the hand too.

No issues loading the blade, with a healthy amount of blade exposure. Screwing the handle on is a joy and locks everything down very securely.

The handle. It's safe to say this is the one thing which has give people most concern.
Is it slippery? Yes it is BUT. I had used shaving oil and didn't wash my hands properly so it was slippery until I washed my hands and handle with soap. If there was more grip on the handle I don't think this would have caused an issue.
After I cleaned my hands and handle there wasn't any issues with grip. A small thing but I thought it best to mention it.

Onto the shave: I found it very, very smooth. It is on the mild side but efficient...in most places. I found I needed a number of passes around the corners of my mouth (a couple of very minor weepers) and under my chin.
This isn't a major concern to me as I do have this with most razors. Plus this is my first time using this razor.
I also think it would perform better with a sharper blade.
I'll be trying a Polsilver on my next shave.

The end results were excellent. I'm happy and no buyers remorse, which is something I do suffer with so that can only be good sign.

I hope this was useful?

Cheers and have a good weekend.
Rob
I really need to stop buying razors and told myself I was done buying for at least 6 months, but I am really interested in this razor. I guess six months will start after this purchase :)

Saturday...(wrong week, sorry)

Soap - Phoenix and Beau Star Noir
Brush - Semogue 1520 boar
Face lather
Razor - Gem Flat Head Top (aka 'G Bar')
Blade - Gem Personna
Post - Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Smell - Alt-Innsbruck EdC

Gotta love these Gems. Great little razors (and I hope the blades stay in production). The Star Noir gave a lovely lather and taking Kerry's advice about leaving the lid off for a day or two helps in keeping it firm-ish. It really is a great scent.

Finished off with the nice cool menthol burn of the Alt-Innsbruck. Smooth as you like and feeling glacially cool.
20170513_145637.jpg

Last edited:
d488f3e66be81e2de639c59e464e5f84.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glicerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: Stirling Coniferous
Razor: ATT H2 Open Comb
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword (2)
Splash: Pitralon Classic

Another great shave with the very aggressive H2 plate. The Wilkie was marginally smoother on the second use, as is often the case with vintage blades. Three passes - close as. Brilliant postshave feel.
I'm a fan is Stirling Ozark Mountain, so a crack at Coniferous was always on the cards. I'd read reviews suggesting that Coniferous was more potent that Ozark Mountain, and Man can I confirm that! Ozark Mountain is no shrinking violet - it has a fresh natural forest scent with good silage. With Coniferous, you feel like you're slapbang in the middle of a dense forest and halfway through felling a pine tree, smothered head to toe in sawdust.
"I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK...."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom