S.O.T.D. Saturday 5th April to Friday 11th April 2014

13727944973_77c1625995_c.jpg

Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: Super Smooth - New Spice - Wickham Soap Co.
Brush: M&F L7 Butterscotch 2-band
Razor: Schick injector G-type
Blade: Personna platinum (2)
Post: Vintage Old Spice ASL, followed by Village Barber balm

2nd time with the injector razor. Very nice 3-pass shave. I'm beginning to appreciate the efficiency of these injector razors. The Super Smooth soap was amazing, Darron has nailed the "Old Spice" scent.
_20140410_210754.JPG

Friday, April 10th, 2014

Friday, April 10th, 2014

162623d1397237101-sun-april-06th-sat-april-12th-sotd-11042014.jpg

Dovo 2Bismarck Pearl, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point

• Pre-shave: Proraso Pre-Shave Cream Green
  • Soap: Proraso Shaving Cream Green Tub
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush 49
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Dovo 2Bismarck Pearl, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine After Shave

Bechet45 said:
There is a lot of difference between 'not scented' and 'unscented'. How do you get rid of the smell of soap to make it 'unscented'? - an expensive process would be my guess, like bleached paper, de-caff coffee.

They've been saying there's top be a reformulated version of Xpec.

Carl, maybe I can answer your question about what 'unscented' creams smell like. You have both the Xpec and AOS unscented creams I think. Now from what I understand, the AOS is gonna have a faint scent to it, just from whatever ingredients it's made of. Supposedly, the Xpec really doesn't smell like anything, which is tough to do. Is that right?

Heh, if that's the case I was only kidding about giving you that answer and have no idea how they make it totally neutral.

Far as waiting for a reformulation goes, I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon, if ever. You can't go by what anybody in that company has to say, judging by how fast the 'in production' status went to 'nada'.

Martin

Prep: Proraso White
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: NF Tubby 1
Razor: Fatboy (7) w/Gillette Super thin

A different blade to usual and a different grip on the Fatboy resulting in a different kinda shave. A couple of small nicks but generally smooth.
[attachment=10151]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397244801.475132.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397244801.475132.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 16
It's done with some stuff called "white smell factor" and works like white sound only with your nose. VERY expensive stuff and, as you can imagine, totally artificial. I think of it as being like oud or aoudh only backwards! - and those are natural, sort of, of course.

joe mcclaine said:
isaiah53 said:
czech and speake no88 shaving soap
zino davidoff edt

Cracking combination.

it is :) im quite into rose scents, they press my buttons. i bought the zino after your recommendation when i was asking about rose scents a while back, and its an out and out favourite at the moment. another one you rated was aramis 900 and its one i fancy getting at some point.

isaiah53 said:
czech and speake no88 shaving soap
zino davidoff edt

Cracking combination.
[/quote]

it is :) im quite into rose scents, they press my buttons. i bought the zino after your recommendation when i was asking about rose scents a while back,
[/quote]

Not that I would even think of enabling you in any way, but I do have a suggestion. Now I can only speak for the soaps, but I've tried the #88 and found it not to my liking. Just too dark, dirty, and ominous of a rose for my nose, plus the soap has a faint bit of a clay undertone to it. Heh, I imagine the EdT is missing that last note.

However, the Xpec shaving cream is scented with a similar rose note as the C&S, but with lots more life to it! Yep, you got pepper in the mix to perk things up, plus a LOT of other notes going on. This stuff reminds me of Blenheim in some ways.

So, maybe you would like to sample the Xpec EdT. I have never huffed any, but I think Carl has some. He also has the #88 or has at least sniffed it, and maybe he could weigh in. Might be you two could do a decant trade. Hah, Carl has no shortage of nice smelling shaving crap.

Just a thought. I would bet you would really enjoy the Xpec. As you might know, the same person created the fragrances for both these items.

Martin

Friday Night

Drinking Rum & Coke, I set about another shave with this loaner Filarmonica 7/16 ...

IMG_5572.JPG

Hot Towel
SuperMax Shaving Cream
Kent Infinity SilverTex
Filarmonica Doble Temple 7/16
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Jōvan Musk

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - Both WTG

Another shave with this Filarmonica and much enjoyed. I got one weeper. I can't complain ...

Jōvan Musk is one I've not used for a while and seriously enjoyed it. Mrs liked it, too.

dodgy said:
So, maybe you would like to sample the Xpec EdT. I have never huffed any, but I think Carl has some. He also has the #88 or has at least sniffed it, and maybe he could weigh in. Might be you two could do a decant trade. Hah, Carl has no shortage of nice smelling shaving crap.

Just a thought. I would bet you would really enjoy the Xpec. As you might know, the same person created the fragrances for both these items.

Martin

ive had a sample of 88 and i love it, ill buy a bottle at some point im sure. the xpec sounds very nice, its all rather pricey though. i may have to get a paper round :)

Prep: Cold Water Splash
Razor: iKon Deluxe
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush Gecko Stumpy Walnut 2-Band
Soap: DRH Almond
Aftershave: Aqua Velva

My normal two pass, cold water, face lather shave. I haven't shaved for 5 days i think, no problem what so ever with this combo.

Still using up the Aqua Velva, then i'll be down to my three favourite aftershaves which i will be using long term.

Back
Top Bottom