S.O.T.D. Saturday 28th November to Friday 4th December 2015

Jamie, your photos are always beautifully taken/composed. Do you have a special setup for SOTD photos?

No not really Lee I shoot all my SOTD photo's on my little stainless steel kitchen prep table, here's a few things I always do I always shoot manual I like to control the apperture and shutter I always use a tripod a small reflective silver table matt and a remote shutter release, the remote shutter allows me to stand back and look at the light and the composition, another tip I would give and this is purely my own personal observation people put to many items into to their SOTD and they need to pan in a lot closer.

Another day, another shave with the passaround Bigelow and Parkin razor.

I'd urge anyone to jump on this little gem as it is quite a gem and so easy to use.

De Vergulde Hand
Plisson
Bigelow and Parkin
Shark (2)
Witch hazel
Cocoa butter

IMG_20151129_093900_1.jpg

Hot towel face prep
Barrister & Mann 'Le Grand Chypre'
Neep Beehive badger
ATT R2 Kronos
Personna 'barber' (1)
Thayers witch hazel

Lovely pleasant shave, great lather as usual from B&M with a very nice scent (citrus/oak moss/rose/frankincense/labdanum)

I'm glad you like it...
More info about the razor here.
Pass around to be found in the lending pool here.

Even got the wife to have a run out with it today, said it was a little scratchy but did the job. Suspect getting the angle on the legs pulling towards you is a little harder than downwards strokes in the face? No major dramas though so it passes yet another test.

Saturday:
Gillette Super Thin & Chubby 2 Silvertip

Sunday:
Feather & Chubby 2 Synthetic

While I'm trialing the Feather AS-D2 (or any razor for that matter) I'll always use NSS as I know it so well and can always guarantee if I have a problem it won't be because of the lather! This is my second Chubby 2 Synthetic: the first had a loft of 50mm and required too much force to splay it for my comfort. I was reluctant to try the higher lofted second release as it's only a few mm higher. Some had reported not much difference whereas others said it was significant. When the Black Friday sale came online this was reduced from £65+VAT to £30+VAT - rude not too and am I glad I did.

This is more fan shaped, less bullet shaped and the loft is 3mm higher than my first one and feels so different. In my experience the Simpson synthetic fibers have always been softer tipped than any other synthetic, including the Plisson, but the first CH2Syn would not splay nicely. When the fibers are wet they still stick together which makes the start of loading a bit awkward but once it's got some soap in the middle of the knot it's great. Good back-bone and really soft tips - if you like scritch this is not the brush for you!

For my thought son the razor see the Feather AS-D2 passaround thread. Have a good weekend - Paul

Sunday 29 November 2015

220236d1448802116-sun-november-29th-sat-december-05th-sotd-29112015.jpg

Mastro Livi Kamisori, 13/16 French Point, Hakkapella Damasteel, Abalone Handle

Today's shave has been luxurious thanks to this Mastro Livi kamisori, as a matter of fact, one of the three Mastro Livi kamisoris I have in my collection. This one is very special because it has the well known Mastro Livi kamisori shape - of course based on the original Japanese style - with a lovely abalone handle and a very keen Damasteel with a Hakkapella pattern. Whoever uses a kamisori for shaving knows it gives a very deep shave, it can be tricky sometimes to use - because you have to shave with the omote side only - but the reward is very high. It takes time to master a kamisori, certainly a longer time than a traditional straight razor, but the result is absolutely amazing. Not to mention when you shave with a Mastro Livi kamisori, something adding a magnificent craftsmanship skill to a beautiful blade. For this shave I wanted to use one of my favorite shaving soap of all times - Martin De Candre - an absolutely super performing soap with a Mediterranean fragrance of very high class and performance. What a great shave!​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Martin De Candre
  • Brush: Frank Shaving Finest Badger Chubby Brush - 30mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Kamisori, 13/16 French Point, Hakkapella Damasteel, Abalone Handle
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Denim White

Edwin Jagger DE89 / Weber Classic Handle
Gillette Silver Blue
Simpson Chubby 1 Super Two Band
Acqua di Parma Shaving Cream
Floris JF Aftershave Balm

sJCJrG2h.jpg

Shave & Scent of the day with:
Pre: Neal's Yard Revitalising Face Scrub
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Feather (4th)
Post #1: Fitjar Folgefonn Mint After Shave Balm
Post #2: Origins Save the Males Multi-Benefit Moisturiser
Scent: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

A dark Sunday afternoon here in the UK.

My first time trying a different blade and it was an effortless shave. I really like these 7 O'clock greens, they seem sharper than the Wilkinson Sword blades and get the job done more efficiently. I used very little to no pressure on the razor and it sliced through the growth effortesly. Three and a half passes, no irritation, very enjoyable and smoother than a smooth thing.

sotd_29_11.jpg

Pre#1: Dove Men Care face & body wash
Pre#2: Fcuk pre-shave face wash
Soap: Palmolive Classic with palm extract soap stick
Brush: Wilkinson Sword bristle (drying in the picture)
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: 7 O'Clock green
Post#1: Boots witchhazel and tea tree cleanser
Post#2: Boots Freshwood aftershave balm
Post#3: E45 moisturiser

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom