S.O.T.D. Saturday 27th May to Friday 2nd June 2017

Oneblade
Paladin
ADP

34923600746_b055c5da3c_c.jpg

@donnie_arko - no problem you're welcome. I'm glad you had a renaissance with the blade. You are almost certainly right about the improvement in performance of the Rapira PL - your prep and technique will be a whole lot better compared to when you started. Keep up the good work. Cheers - I

Thanks again. Using the RPL made me consider how easy it is to get stuck on thinking about the tools of shaving themselves when it's developing technique (including pre shave prep) which is the imperative issue.

29/05/17

Pre Shave - RSC Facial Wash
Pre Shave - Palmolive Bloom Water
Soap - Palmolive soap stick
Razor - Yingjili Tech
Blade - Gillette Nacet Stainless (2)
Post Shave - Alum
After Shave - Nivea Balm

An exceptional lather today, possibly down to using the bloom water from the Palmolive shave sticks I'd moulded into a container and the Nacet glided over my face. Post shave feel was delightful, almost no need for the Nivea Balm - without a doubt Palmolive stick is my favourite soap.

Continuing my Italian work/holiday shaves..
PRORASO..May not be up there with Valobra, Panna Crema, Saponificio Varesino, Cella and other wonderful Italian soaps (it's a drugstore cream/soap remember and on offer at 1 euro a tube) but this stuff is a solid performer..seems to have fallen out of favour on the forums but many Italian barbers use this and for good reason..easy lather, good value, smells good ect. Got a superb shave !
Grazie!

Bank holiday Monday shave

I picked up the argan oil in savers the other day.
It's as slippery as a slippery thing, but it didn't do the business, with the Tabac at least. I'll try it with a different soap/cream sometime before I write it off as a failed experiment. It only cost £1 so it's no big loss.
I'm still struggling to get the RazoRock synthetic brush to whip up lathers with soaps, creams aren't a problem though.
As a result of the oil not being great and not getting the soap to lather very well I didn't have the greatest shave today, with a couple of weepers and burn on my neck.
Still, I managed a close shave.

It's stopped raining so I can get out with the dog, he's doing the "I want to go out 'dance"!!
I've found argan oil to be better as a post shave oil. Castor oil/grape seed oil mix at 1:1 is far more slippery as it were. Argan oil is quite light and absorbs quickly, or at least that's what I've found! :)

Snakebite soap too? :O how is it?

Didn't know it either.. until a couple of weeks ago...

It smells of menthol, pure menthol, clearly menthol, in short, menthol... you get the idea....:D

Seriously, a nice soap, nice performer, protective lather, gliding lather.... If you like an ice-like shaving, this is your soap... When i tried it we were hitting 34ºC around here.... Nice...

The AS is far stronger... nice for really hot days, you know, but a bit overpowering...

Greetings All,

Sunday afternoon relaxed shave.

Three days' growth.

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Edwin Jagger Hydrating Pre-Shave (sample)

Soap: Tabac soap
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Feather (4th use)
Brush: Molten Brown Shaving Brush

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum then a shower followed by Proraso post shave cream (white)

Very nice comfortable 3 pass shave – no irritation around the neck – I seem to be getting better.

It smells of menthol, pure menthol, clearly menthol, in short, menthol... you get the idea....:D

Seriously, a nice soap, nice performer, protective lather, gliding lather.... If you like an ice-like shaving, this is your soap... When i tried it we were hitting 34ºC around here.... Nice...

The AS is far stronger... nice for really hot days, you know, but a bit overpowering...
So it's Menthol then? :)

I've got the a/s :D used it after a P&B Denali shave the other week. Boy oh boy did that hit the spot! :D I think I'll do the same tomorrow! :D

Monday 29th May 2017
SOTD 29th May.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower, Bulldog Sensitive Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Rockwell 6C #5 plate
Blade: Astra SP (#3)
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Cream: Body Shop Maca Root
AS: Nivea Replenishing Balm

My last shave with the Rockwell 6C was on plate 2, and I have decided I much preferred plate 4, much more efficient, so today was up to plate 5. Plate 5 definitely had more blade feel, but was still a good smooth shave no nicks or weepers and no irritation, using alum I could find a few small patches where I could feel a slight alum sting but only very minor, sting is probably too strong a word. I can see me sticking mostly to plate 4 or 5 with this razor, still to try 3 and 6, not sure if I will even bother with plate 1, but maybe see how some sharper blades work in this razor. Planning to try a Rockwell blade tomorrow on plate 4, I have 200 of them so I better find out sooner or later if they are any good.

(BTW I know plate 6 is showing in the photo for anyone eagle eyed out there, I was planning to go for plate 6 tomorrow but decided to switch to the rockwell and plate 4 after taking the photo).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom