S.O.T.D. Saturday 27th May to Friday 2nd June 2017

Afternoon chaps!
Firstly a confession! I took this sotd pic yesterday to use with today's shave, I did not use the razor in the picture, instead I decided to use the rockwell I bought from Steve bowles.
Also making an appearance was another new soap received this week.
The Rockwell I decided to try on #3 for its first outing as I was three days without shaving.
It certainly lived up to its reputation of being a smoothie, with a new nacet blade it glided through the bristles, I could have got away with a two pass, but wanted to go three being as I felt short changed at not having time or energy to shave last few days.
The spitfire soap is awesome! Great smell, really easy to load and slick as a racing snake.:)
Rockwell razor,
Nacet blade #1
Spitfire soap,
Omega boar brush
Thayers rose petal toner
No smellies as I'm out working again tonight.
IMAG0614_1_1.jpg

Afternoon chaps!
Firstly a confession! I took this sotd pic yesterday to use with today's shave, I did not use the razor in the picture, instead I decided to use the rockwell I bought from Steve bowles.
Also making an appearance was another new soap received this week.
The Rockwell I decided to try on #3 for its first outing as I was three days without shaving.
It certainly lived up to its reputation of being a smoothie, with a new nacet blade it glided through the bristles, I could have got away with a two pass, but wanted to go three being as I felt short changed at not having time or energy to shave last few days.
The spitfire soap is awesome! Great smell, really easy to load and slick as a racing snake.:)
Rockwell razor,
Nacet blade #1
Spitfire soap,
Omega boar brush
Thayers rose petal toner
No smellies as I'm out working again tonight.
View attachment 25570
Hi @vassili where was the picture taken?

I shaved with a Rockwell for the first time today, very impressed as you put it a real smoothie.

Last edited:
Saturday 27th May 2017
SOTD 27th May.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, Bulldog Sensitive Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Rockwell 6C #4 plate
Blade: Astra SP (#1)
Brush: Hans Baier Silver
Soap: L'Occitane Cade
AS: Benjamins Bay Rum Menthol and L'Occitane Cade Balm

My first shave with the Rockwell 6C and I am very impressed. The Cade soap gave excellent performance, the Hans Baier brush makes it very easy to whip up a superb lather. I decided not to go with a Rockwell blade but for something I know just works well, so I popped an Astra SP in the Rockwell, I could have picked a number of other favourite blades but the Astra SP seems like a good starting point for me at least. I decided on plate 4 for the first shave, I like a fairly aggressive razor so 4 seemed to make sense without being too brave. The result was absolutely fantastic, I have always liked the way some people describe how to shave by saying aim to just scrape the lather off not to actually try to scrape the hair off, well this was the epitome of that. It just effortlessly removed the lather off my face, but it was clearly taking the hair with it, I could easily have got away with a 2 pass shave, even the 1st pass was impressive. I went for 3 passes in the end as this is my normal routine (WTG+XTG+ATG). After the 3rd pass I was left with a wonderfully smooth finish, while applying the alum there was no sting at all which is a good sign. As it is still fairly warm this evening I slapped some Benjamins Bay Rum with Menthol on before finishing off with the Cade balm.

I really like the Rockwell 6C, even after just one shave I can see this becoming a favourite. The only minor gripe I have is that the head is little awkward directly under the nose for me, but I still managed perfect finish so not that bad and the same can be said for other razors like the Futur for example, and I still like that razor.

Saturday AM 2017-05-27

Georgetown Pottery G12 Scuttle (Green Oribe & Purple)
Rooney 1/1 Finest #2 (22mm/49mm)
Floris JF shaving soap (tallow)
Feather AS-D2/Stork EX3 Titanium
Wilkinson Light Brigade (7)
Floris JF aftershave (vintage)
1dr6k1u.jpg

Italian shave today - proraso red, fatip picollo, patrich noir a/s, personna blade and black badger brush nonwithstanding :)

always doubtful about the red - the sandalwood is too dry for my nose. amazing a/s - i bought this bottle in Rome for 3 quid but it smells classy and is very strong!

Right, off to Dublin in the morning - Guinness awaits :)

Hot bath/Nivea Sensitive Body Wash
Proraso Red Pre Shave
Merkur Futur/Astra SP (1)
Mason Pearson pure badger
RazoRock Caribbean Holiday Soap
Real Shaving Co post shave balm
Old Spice ASL

I felt I had to use the Caribbean Holiday Soap as it arrived in the post today from Shave Lounge.
It leathered up very easily with the badger brush, but it seemed to like a fair bit of water.
I found the scent very pleasing, almost good enough to eat! the main scent is pineapple, and the coconut came through strong with a hint of rum.
I wasn't expecting it to be brown in colour, but it added a bit of novelty value for my first use of it.
After rinsing and drying my face and neck my skin felt dry. For me this soap doesn't leave any residual slickness. That said, I do like this soap and will use it in rotation.
A two pass shave today with three small weepers, due to carelessness and not paying proper attention,( I'm sure most of you will know that the Futur commands respect)
the Astra SP was a good match with the Futur, and both passes felt smooth.
I pondered which A/S I have in my armoury would go with the soap, and the best I could come up with was the Old Spice.
My face is smooth and smells good !

Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
Pre shave - Proraso
Razor – Merkur 34C HD
Blade – Permasharp
Brush - The 'Americana' (Shavemac 24/48 D01 2 Band)
Soap – OSP - Eucalyptus + Menthol
Post - Cold water rinse, Wholly Kaw Cuero Oscuro Aftershave Toner

For me, OSP is a good soap, but not a 5* one... so, even with the Merkur 34C HD, a little irritation was to be had... other than that, I'm BBS.

Sotd - 27/5

Razor - Parker Variant (2.5)
Blade - Polsilver SI (5)
Brush - Chubby 2 best
Soap - OSP Lemon and Cedarwood
Post - witch hazel
A/S - OSP Lemon and Cedarwood
Balm - Aloe vera gel.

Result - great. Other than knowing I wanted to use the Variant again immediately - I had no idea where to go with this shave. I let the weather be my guide as it's been - relatively - hot and humid for a few days now. That's west of Scotland hot and humid - it's not Saigon in the rainy season. I didn't fancy full-on citrus or menthol. The Lemon and Cedarwood was the perfect compromise. There was a amateur-hour error loading the brush though - because the soap hadn't been used for a bit I added a little water to the surface of the puck as I showered. Then forgot to empty it away and got stuck in with the Chubby. Immediately there was lots and lots of highly aerated useless foam. There's only one solution to this dilemma - more product. Equilibrium regained the shave went well. As previously mentioned OSP products are good performers for me. The lemon top note differs slightly between the soap and splash - the former to me is slightly sweeter - think lemon curd - and the latter is most definitely freshly squeezed lemons. Invigorating. The cedarwood is certainly there but not as heavy as you might imagine. Nice. As I was shaving the weather broke and the warm downpour started good style - even a few rolls of thunder to add theatricality. Finally - the Variant is a keeper. I wanted to use it again immediately to try and control for 'new toy' bias. No - I was right - for me it's excellent. The slightly longer handle has its benefits. Enjoy your shaves - I.

Pre: Gillette Series Irritation Defence Pre Shave Wash
Razor: Gillette English Red Tip Superspeed
Blade: Ladas (1)
Soap: Lea (Tallow Formulation)
Brush: Muhle 25mm XL Synthetic

8cd851e4d327f4b634fdc6d89c954d4e.jpg

Apart from Rapira SS, I'm generally not a fan of Moscow manufactured blades, but I'm now on my second Ladas and they're growing on me. I can see a card of a hundred on the horizon.

Soap:
Lea (Tallow Formulation)

I have read that the Lea shave soap is not as good as their cream. I found that strange as the reformulated version of their shave stick with tallow, glycerine & lanolin is superb. :confused:

My SOTD:

PAA Primsatic razor
Gillette/Wilkinson Sword Chinese blade (#3)
Maggard 22mm black synthetic brush
B&M Sandalwood Latha soap
TOBS Sandalwood AS

Damn near effortless shave. This razor & blade combo is phenomenal!!

I have read that the Lea shave soap is not as good as their cream. I found that strange as the reformulated version of their shave stick with tallow, glycerine & lanolin is superb. :confused:

Have to agree about the Lea soap. I have the same version as your stick.
You can almost make it lather just by looking at it and the glide and post shave are spot on. Only weakness imho is that whilst adequate, it could offer a little more cushion.

Pre: Gillette Series Irritation Defence Pre Shave Wash
Razor: Gillette English Red Tip Superspeed
Blade: Ladas (1)
Soap: Lea (Tallow Formulation)
Brush: Muhle 25mm XL Synthetic

8cd851e4d327f4b634fdc6d89c954d4e.jpg

Apart from Rapira SS, I'm generally not a fan of Moscow manufactured blades, but I'm now on my second Ladas and they're growing on me. I can see a card of a hundred on the horizon.

Have you tried a Sputnik? It's foolish not to buy by the card if you are purchasing close to source. There are a couple of reliable auction site vendors based in Russia - Ubuntu has been mentioned here before. I've never been snagged at customs. That might just be luck. Cheers - I

Back
Top Bottom