S.O.T.D Saturday 23rd July to Friday 29th July 2016

Fri 29th July
RazoRock Plissoft 22mm
OSP Bay Rum
PAL Adjustable
Schick NOS Platinum [ 3- Sweden]
Alum Rub & Rinse
Myrsol Antesol

After a bad day with the PAL , had to try one again. This time used one already loaded with NOS blade [ from Sweden ].
What a difference the shave was not laboured but seemed so much quicker being very smooth and comfortable. The finished shave was as I had come to expect when using the PAL , nice and close.

Learnt a lesson from this , do not buy NOS blades unless you are sure they are good performers . If necessary consult someone who has a good knowledge of blades.

IMG_0770.jpg

Orq8bKbh.jpg

Back to the daily grind & having major post-holiday blues!

Friday 29th July
No shower but warm face wash
Pre shave Myrsol emulsion
TOOBS Eton College Collection
Plisson Brush
Steve Woodhead Scuttle
ATT S1 loaded with a Personna Lab Blue
Thayers witch hazel - Rose scent
Proraso protective Aftershave balm

Smooth shave with 2.5 passes. I thought I would give the lab blues another try however, a close shave with irritation and about 4/5 small weepers so will not be using them again. face is still a bit itchy!!

Greetings

Friday 29th July 2016
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop
Blade: Valet
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson
Soap: Boots Vintage
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDT: Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

I have, off and on for a few years been experimenting with Valet Autostrop Razors and original Valet blades with hugely varying degrees of success, until now I have never been able to buy any really decent NOS blades that remained in top class condition. I have had the odd few that have arrived with razor purchases but my luck changed when I purchased these 80 blades which are in as new condition in unopened packs of ten, I had to buy a razor with them which was the last thing I needed but I'm not complaining!

These blades have a strange ivory grey coating on them, different to the last batch I bought which Plan of Man rightly recognised as Parkerised and which were dire and ended in the bin (all thirty) Valet experimented with very many coatings over the forty years they made razors and blades and these seem to be pretty decent. I gave the blade just five round laps on the Feox strop and the result was a gentle easy forgiving and close shave.

This razor is a FrankenValet with the handle coming from an earlier model Canadian Valet.

Regards
Dick.

P1010732.JPG

image.jpg Good morning to you all.
Day 3 using the Hone type 15 fitted with new Astra SP blade.
Started with my usual routine, see day one SOTD.
Performed all three passes W, X and ATG with predictable ease finding the SP was smoother compared with the feather on first use.
Again finding a perfectly smooth face when finished with no nicks or irritation, everything I've said on my last two shaves still stands.
This razor is very predictable, it throws up no surprises, it just shaves really well. It's not aggressive, it's just effective, it does the job and does it well.
I will for the sake of a decent period of evaluation continue tomorrow with the same Asrta SP for shave four but I do not see much changing, just another faultless and enjoyable shave.
Wishing you all well and I hope your day is a good one.

Friday 29th July 2016.
friday shave..jpg
My shaving recipe for today.
  • warm shower / Palmolive body soap wash/ Dove hair and face wash/ warm wet flannel to my face.
  • Razor: Parker:24C.
  • Blade:Astra superior stainless (4)
  • Brush:Wilkinson sword bristle
  • Cream: Groomed shave cream +4 drops of glycerin in mixing bowl.
  • Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.
  • omitted the wright's coal tar cold water wash (left my face slightly irritated and blotchy after a few hours of yesterdays shave)
  • Witch Hazel.
  • A/S Brut.
  • My end of the week shave, was yet another wonderful one with my 24C /Astra SS blade which incidentally is still providing a effortless smooth shave after 12 shave passes on my face!!;) The wrights coal tar cold water wash, left my face feeling irritated and blotchy:mad: after a few hours of yesterdays shave..anyway you live and learn, todays recipe no problems what so ever. Have a great day.:cool:

Last edited:
Friday 29th July 2016.
View attachment 19893
My shaving recipe for today.
  • warm shower / Palmolive body soap wash/ Dove hair and face wash/ warm wet flannel to my face.
  • Razor: Parker:24C.
  • Blade:Astra superior stainless (4)
  • Brush:Wilkinson sword bristle
  • Cream: Groomed shave cream +4 drops of glycerin in mixing bowl.
  • Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.
  • omitted the wright's coal tar cold water wash (left my face slightly irritated and blotchy after a few hours of yesterdays shave)
  • Witch Hazel.
  • A/S Brut.
  • My end of the week shave, was yet another wonderful one with my 24C /Astra SS blade which incidentally is still providing a effortless smooth shave after 12 shave passes on my face!!;) The wrights coal tar cold water wash, left my face feeling irritated and blotchy:mad: after a few hours of yesterdays shave..anyway you live and learn, todays recipe no problems what so ever. Have a great day.:cool:
Pleased to see that someone is still using Brut AF a blast from the past!

View attachment 19892 Good morning to you all.
Day 3 using the Hone type 15 fitted with new Astra SP blade.
Started with my usual routine, see day one SOTD.
Performed all three passes W, X and ATG with predictable ease finding the SP was smoother compared with the feather on first use.
Again finding a perfectly smooth face when finished with no nicks or irritation, everything I've said on my last two shaves still stands.
This razor is very predictable, it throws up no surprises, it just shaves really well. It's not aggressive, it's just effective, it does the job and does it well.
I will for the sake of a decent period of evaluation continue tomorrow with the same Asrta SP for shave four but I do not see much changing, just another faultless and enjoyable shave.
Wishing you all well and I hope your day is a good one.
A great insight of the Hone 15..looks very impressive..i'll carry on with my Merkurs,Muhles & Parkers for the time being though.regards.;)

Back
Top Bottom