S.O.T.D. Saturday 22nd April to Friday 28th April 2017

PAA Prismatic razor
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (#2 China)
Maggard Limes & Bergamot tallow soap
Maggard 22mm black synthetic brush
Barbasol Brisk AS

Fantastic shave!! This tallow Limes & Bergamot is not only a superb artisan made soap, it also has a very potent lime scent. As regards these Chinese Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades I feel that there is nothing to fear about any QC loss as IMO they shave just as good as an Astra SP at the least.

7p9jJ2ih.jpg

Can't deny it, those shiny metal Jabonman tins are my favourite soaps.
Mine, Too. Both the tallow and non-tallow.

Photo%2025-4-17%2023%2006%2039_zpsew3dukr6.jpg

Pre:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Soap: Mikes Hungarian Lavender
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (5)
Splash: Pitralon Classic

Another great shave. I find Mikes soaps pretty much as slick as they come, provided you take a little time to adequately hydrate the lather.
The Hungarian Lavender scent was my favourite lavender-scented soap, until recently when I was fortunate enough to test the APR Lavende.
The Pitralon classic provided a nice pairing.

@flashashton27 - thank you mate - I knew you were the man to ask. You appear to keep an impressive scent library. Handily enough I will be traveling through a couple of airports in the near future and I will see if I can find anything you mentioned. Thanks again. I
Thanks @Digimonkey. Good luck with your shopping shenanigans. Airport duty free shops are dangerous places for me!

View attachment 24925 SOTD 25th April

Razor...Hone Type 15
Blade...Feather #1
Soap...Pre de Provence number 63
Brush...SOC Badger
Post...Thayers lavender
EDT..Pacorabanne Million

Another brass beauty in my hands this morning in the form of the Hone, paired with a Feather blade. The soap lathered like a dream from such a hard soap and the shave was good and left me smooth faced.
The feather seems to work well with the Hone, and I was smooth but without any irritation, so I may save my feathers for use in this razor.

Have a wonderful day people....:)

I'm glad that you tried the Hone 15 with the Feather and that this was a good shave for you. I am enjoying the Feathers with the Hone 15 and can't see me using that blade with another razor. The Hone 15 for me and I appreciate that YMMV seems to tame the Feather. I'm not sure that I would have the confidence to use a Feather any any other razor other than the Hone 15 or the Feather razor itself.

All the best,

Chris

View attachment 24925 SOTD 25th April

Razor...Hone Type 15
Blade...Feather #1
Soap...Pre de Provence number 63
Brush...SOC Badger
Post...Thayers lavender
EDT..Pacorabanne Million

Another brass beauty in my hands this morning in the form of the Hone, paired with a Feather blade. The soap lathered like a dream from such a hard soap and the shave was good and left me smooth faced.
The feather seems to work well with the Hone, and I was smooth but without any irritation, so I may save my feathers for use in this razor.

Have a wonderful day people....:)

I'm glad that you tried the Hone 15 with the Feather and that this was a good shave for you. I am enjoying the Feathers with the Hone 15 and can't see me using that blade with another razor. The Hone 15 for me and I appreciate that YMMV seems to tame the Feather. I'm not sure that I would have the confidence to use a Feather any any other razor other than the Hone 15 or the Feather razor itself.

All the best,

Chris

Tuesday 25th April 2017
SOTD 25th April.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Hydra Power Face Wash and Proraso white
Razor: Qshave Futur clone
Blade: Astra SP (#1)
Brush: Kent BLK4
Soap: Tabac
AS: Nivea Originals Replenishing balm

What great razor this is. I can't compare it to the real thing as I have never used a Merkur Futur.

I set it to three and while the blade gap still looked a bit menacing the shave was excellent, it took only a couple of strokes on the first pass to get the angle and the next two passes went very smoothly. I did my normal WTG, XTG and ATG and the result was excellent for a first go with this razor. I will be trying it on higher settings and with a sharper blade, I find Astra SP sharp enough but very smooth so it seemed like a safe choice for a first outing.

I have always liked the look of the Futur but thought the head of the razor looked too big to get into tight places such as under the nose, while the head on this clone is large it worked well and I had no problem, no bits missed under the nose etc. It cost me £4.86 inc postage, this is easily one the cheapest DE razors I own, but it is pretty damned good and better than a few much more expensive ones I own.

Last edited:
Tuesday's shave

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Coal Tar Soap and The Gentleman's Groom Room Shave Prep Plus.
Razor - Hone 15.
Blade - Feather New Hi-Stainless (day 1).
Soap - Executive Shaving Bay Rum Shave Cream.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Post shave - D.R Harris Mild Skin Tonic, followed by L'Occtitane Cade Aftershave Balm.

Nice shave, a little rushed this morning as had to leave earlier than normal to catch a train. 2 passes, close comfortable shave. Not quite as good a shave as previous mornings, when I had more time.

The Home 15 and a Feather blade is certainly a excellent pairing - I appreciate that YMMV. I am going to try the Hone 15 with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Razor (Black) Blade next.

All the best,

Chris

Razor: Timeless SB 0.95, w/ TRH5 Dimpled
Blade: Personna Star (3) Made in Great Britain
Brush: El Druida Ebony Zebra w/Manchurian
Soap: Route 66 Cavendish
Aftershave: Floid Blue

Outstanding three passes with fourth pass as clean up for a BBS. This blade is preforming better after a couple of shaves. Good feed back from the Personna Star also. It says on the pack Platinum Coated Edges.
My team got beat out so Paul is happy.
24 04 17b.jpg

SOTD - evening 25/4/17 - inspired by @TomG

Razor - Progress
Blade - Polsilver Lodz
Brush - Vie Long Anniversary Two-band
Soap - Lea Classic hard soap
Post - Allum and Witch Hazel
A/S - Lea Classic
Balm - Myrsol Emulsion

Result - super. I really needed to do something nice for my skin tonight, in addition to just shaving. I have been standing outside the High Court for two full shifts Monday & today monstering people involved in a major court case. It's been sunny but a bitter wind coming straight down from the Arctic. Result - very unhappy skin. The Classic hard soap is animal fat based - tallow always works well for me. I'd forgotten how good it is. The two-band has the necessary scritch to exfoliate - and is frankly a beautiful object. The shape and construction of the knot is a work of art. The matching Lea after-shave has glycerin listed - which might account for the excellent face feel. The scent of the soap and a/s are consistent - mostly sandalwood and oak moss. Both have a good dose of menthol too. Bit of Myrsol emulsion - job done. I suspect I might apply some un-refined shea butter just to double up. Enjoy your shaves - I

Back
Top Bottom