S.O.T.D. Saturday 17th June to Friday 23rd June 2017

Art Of Shaving Sandalwood tallow soap
24mm Plissoft knot in Commodore X3 handle
The General Brass / Feather Pro (5)
Aloe Vera Gel
Borsari Acqua Classica EDC

First outing for my Simpson Commodore that I re-knotted with a Plissoft knot. This is my third brush with this type of knot and I simply can't get enough of them!

First shave also with the Brass General, loaded with a Feather Pro blade. Efficient, close and super-smooth shave. I'm duly impressed.

Have a great weekend everyone :)

Saturday AM 2017-06-17

Moss Anniversary Slate scuttle
Rooney 1/1 Porcelain Finest (22mm/45mm)
Floris No. 89 shaving soap (tallow) + shaving cream
DE Ink Edition AS-D2/Stork Advoco Titanium
Gillette Platinum 'Swede' (8)
Floris No. 89 aftershave (vintage)

A great shave with my favorite software.
LBgGwkG.jpg

Last edited:
Sotd - sabado 17/6. Buenos tardes amigos -

Razor - Parker Variant (2.5)
Blade - Lodz Polsilver (2)
Brush - Vie Long white horse
Soap - Agua de Colonia barberia cream
Post - Witch hazel
A/S - Floid Vigoroso LE
Balm - Agua de Colonia barberia moisturiser.

Result - me gusta. Todo bien. An excellent Spanish shave. It's warm today - I wanted a lighter, refreshing shave but didn't fancy the obvious menthol route. The Alvarez y Gomez is one of the best soaps I own. I couldn't recommend it too highly if you haven't tried it. The scent is beautifully complex. Opens citrusy - quite a lot of rose - finishes woody and musky. The consistency seems to vary between tubs but this has never affected the performance for me. It's good value for money for a cream of this quality - even more so if you buy it in Spain. Thinking about it - I should really pick up a Seygus razor. Just for the sake of authenticity you understand. Like I need another razor. Hasta luego. I.

Saturday morning;

IMG_4714.png

Mounting the RR Hawk atop the Maggard MR17 handle gave a fair bit more heft and some definite positive balance - the weight was in the handle and away from the head so manoeuvrability was certainly improved. Loaded with a feather pro on its third outing and cushioned with TSS Acqua Di Florida soap, lathered well with my 26mm best badger.

The feather felt a little dull to me today, though it still made a good job of most parts of my neck. I decided foolishly to trial some slight against the grain touch ups which, to little surprise, resulted in a couple of blood spots/weepers. These were almost entirely remedied by some witch hazel following a post-shave cold shower. Followed up with a dab or 9 of Al Rehab Silver. I'm marginally sore in places but nothing to shout home about. 99% smooth and ready for some sun.

Saturday 17th June
Cadman Custom
Tabac
Ever Ready 1924 aka Shovelhead
Rocnel handle
GEM SSC #4
Rinse > Alum > Rinse
Blue Stratos A/S
Lacura Body Moisturiser
tsKXzb9.jpg

Tabac Sa'T'urday with a SS handle version of my 1924.
Wonderful!!!

Is brush envy a truly terrible sin?

Very nice set ups and photos. . .

DSC_0404_zpsdz17upib.jpg

DSC_0895_zps2yqesivo.jpg

Two Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
Kastor & Co Solingen Full Hollow 15/16th
Fitchard Pure Badger
Blue Brand Goats Milk Tallow Soap
Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Had a Wonderful Shave Today with My Kastor Solingen 15/16h..This Swedish Steel German SR has a Maxed Out Black Surgical Arkansas 2o K Edge & it Shaves Like a Laser..Its a Top Notch Luxury Shaver this Bad Boy..;)

I am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:D

Billy

For today's shave I brought out a razor I have had for a couple of years and have not used. Folks I bring you the SEGAL Razor.
VRAKZYy.png

Some of you know about the SEGAL razor, but for those that do not, the SEGAL Razor Co. was a division of the Segal Lock Co. started by Samuel Segal. The razor looks like a normal 3 piece razor, but when you unscrew the bottom nut, the top lifts and turns to accept a proprietary blade. It has a very thin gold wash and dates from about 1930 or later.
4qFIGNz.png

Here is a little bit of history from the Segal Lock Co. website provided by Mr. Douglas Smythe from HTGAM. Click on the advertisement to take you to the site.

Blades of course are not manufactured any longer and are very hard to find. I did try to use Douglas Smythe's template to cut a modern blade to fit the razor, but I did not cut it well enough to fit straight, so it sat in a box in my den unused for a very loong time. I was in conversation with a very well regarded member on another forum for some Durham Duplex blades and he mentioned he had a tuck or two of SEGAL blades, and he was willing to share some of those with me as well. When I got the blades, I used a blade in the DD and reported on it, but I was not wanting to break the pristine plastic seal on the SEGAL blades. Well today I unwrapped the tuck of blades and put a NOS blade that is possibly close to 90 years old into a razor and shaved with it. The first stroke was quite loud and felt a lot like the modern carbon steel single edge Gem blades, and I thought the shave would end up being very irritating. It did not take long before I found the groove with the razor and by riding the cap I could get a very smooth cut. The blade did not feel as sharp as any of the modern Stainless blades, but I can tell you that I am BBS, and Dolphins would be jealous. The vintage Rubberset with the original Imported Badger Hair is the softest of all of my Badger Brushes. It also has the least almount of backbone of any of my brushes as well. The brush loaded the XXX croap very easily and prepared my face well for the use of the SEGAL. I finished off with Aubrey Northwoods shave balm and AS. Thank you again Alan for your generosity, without you, I would have not gotten the fine shave today that I get to share with the various shaving communities. Have a blessed day Gentlemen.
IgqK3iu.png

BGB5VSm.png

19122016_142169213006566_7791970852844601344_n.jpg

Brush: Vie Long 04503
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (1)
Soap: D'Ardenne, Short & Bell Coconut
Post: Thayers Rose, Nivea 2 Phase & Issey Miyake L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme

Late in posting today, had a very nice sunny day along the River Usk. A great shave, this soap is very easy to lather. Undecided on the scent, it is coconut but I get a bit of play doh from it somehow... Razor and blade are an excellent combination.

Saturday 17th June 2017
SOTD 17th June.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Bloom Water
Razor: PAL Injecto-matic
Blade: Schick (Chinese) (#4)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
Soap: P&B V60 prototype
AS: Benjamins Bay Rum with Pimento + Spitfire Cologne

Great and interesting shave today, I had the opportunity to try out a prototype for the forthcoming Phoenix and Beau V60 soap. Kerry described it as, Coffee (Colombian variety), hazelnut and cocoa. Something a little different, something bitter, nutty and a little sweet. I have to say it smells wonderful, completely different to any other soap or cream I own. As you can see from the picture the soap is very dark in colour and when lathered it keeps quite a nice mocha hue, it also contains small dark specks making the lather look a little bit like vanilla ice cream. Looking forward to using the rest of the sample of V60.

The shave was great very smooth, the V60 soap provided plenty of lather for 3 passes, I will definitely be buying this soap when it becomes available.

I've just had one of my best all time shaves. Possibly Top 5 territory.
Everything went well all at the same time, and the feeling is great!

wilko coconut and vanilla body butter
Truefitt & Hill No10 cream
RazoRock 400 Plissoft Noir
Merkur 37c/Shark SS (2)
Homemade witch hazel/tea tree
Proraso Green ASL

Three faultless passes executed, and every stroke was a pleasure.
The 95p body butter worked some kind of magic, and it complemented the scent of the No 10 very well. I'll be using it regularly in future.
The Shark blade was on its second outing, having used it in my DE89 yesterday.
Paired with the 37c it was the perfect definition of sooth and efficient.
The 37C is definitely my favourite razor. It's much smoother than the DE89, and more predictable than the Futur.
I will be using the same set up tomorrow to see if I can replicate today's insanely great shave!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom