S.O.T.D Saturday 16th November to Friday 22nd November 2013

Thursday night

Clinique soap
Fatip Grande
Supermax Super platinum
Vie-Long horsehair brush
La Toja soap stick
Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Picked up my Gifts and Care order from the PO so a bit of a Spanish theme.

First time using a horsehair and was very impressed, really soft and La Toja realy is the best soap stick out there, imo, of course.

Very impressed with the Myrsol as well.

Fair play to the Spanish they make some quality shaving gear and all of it was reasonably priced as well.

Friday 11-22-13. MUSIC: Willie Dixon - I Am The Blues.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chd_ptCDn1E[/video]

32de6161-b16d-477d-a840-7734fe6c25d4_zps06caa561.jpg

Soap from Alepo - Morris & Forndran 25X53 - Merkur 25C - Polsilver #2 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Mitchell's Wool Fat - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Truefitt & Hill - ASL Lavanda by Ach. Brito.

Semogue Owners Club 2 Band
Czech & Speake Cambridge & Oxford Shaving Soap
Weber PH Bulldog
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Penhaligon's Endymion Aftershave Balm

Friday:

Afternoon, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: Derby (7)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Kiss my Face unscented
Aftershave: Iris Sauvage

A much better shave which I took slowly and carefully. Close and irritation-free.

Prep: Hot shower, followed by Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub
Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: Cella sample
Brush: New Forest 2213 Silvertip
Razor: E&J DE89 Chatsworth
Blade: Feather (1)
Post: Osma alum (to stop the bleeding) & Thayer's Original witch hazel

First time using the Feather blade, Wow super sharp. Loads of weepers (guess my technique was off). Definitely an unforgiving blade.
First time using Cella. I really like this soap!

My first sotd post

Bodyshop glycerine soap
Proraso pre
tobs lime
Vulfix 2235
progress on 3 # 2 # 1
7oclock green 2
honeybee gardens bay rom
Bluebeards revenge post

Nearly bbs smooth and getting better now I've got my growth mapped and the irritation I was getting on my neck,looked like I walked into a washing line,has started to calm down after each shave.

Bbs tonight - a bloody brilliant shave!

Ej89
Treet (2)
Fs pur tech
Cella
Steve's bay rum
Aloe vera moisturiser

Was feeling the need for cella and whipped up a mountain of lather with the pur tech. The blade wasn't great for the 1st pass but it did a good job in the end. What shave! Lovely.

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Edwin Jagger EJ DE89
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
Brush: Frank Shaving Chubby Badger
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla
Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Shea Butter Moisturiser

Good Evening.
It has been a busy week, and I haven't had time to report my last shaves.
But since I have been the recipient of a few large samples of Stirling soaps, I just had to make time :)

I have read quite a lot about this soap, and I know that it is not uncommon to have some problems lathering up this soap. And since my lathering skills have been in decline lately I expected to experience these issues myself.
I loaded the brush for a good thirty seconds before moving over to my scuttle for some serious lather building. And it did not take long before I had a big load of thin and airy lather. I tried to load the brush for an additional ten seconds and was rewarded with even more thin and airy lather.
I was tempted to rinse out everything and start again, when it suddenly occurred to me that the solution was in my brush.
The brush I used is known in certain circles to be a bit of a lather hog, and with that in mind I squeezed out all lather from the brush and continued my efforts.
Two seconds later I had "perfect" lather.

22112013_zps01c19479.jpg

Sterling_zps870291ed.jpg

Prep -> Hot Shower
Brush-> Shavemac 22953
Soap -> Stirling Sandalwood
RazorPrep -> Weber
Blade -> Merkur
Post Shave -> Anthony Logistics Glycerine Hand and Body Lotion (great stuff altogether, throw it at anything)

Perfect...

Norseman said:
I have read quite a lot about this soap, and I know that it is not uncommon to have some problems lathering up this soap. And since my lathering skills have been in decline lately I expected to experience these issues myself.
I loaded the brush for a good thirty seconds before moving over to my scuttle for some serious lather building. And it did not take long before I had a big load of thin and airy lather. I tried to load the brush for an additional ten seconds and was rewarded with even more thin and airy lather.
The brush I used is known in certain circles to be a bit of a lather hog, and with that in mind I squeezed out all lather from the brush and continued my efforts.
Two seconds later I had "perfect" lather.

I also have initial difficulty getting a decent lather with Stirling, it's starts almost like liquid soap being thin but with more vigorous action transforms into lovely mousse.

Can you explain further what you did? Did you just squeeze out all the lather off the brush into the bowl then continue building lather?

Prep: Cold water splash
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger
Razor: Weber Polished / Bulldog
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
EdT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

Early morning shave today. Pleased :)

fancontroller said:
I also have initial difficulty getting a decent lather with Stirling, it's starts almost like liquid soap being thin but with more vigorous action transforms into lovely mousse.

Can you explain further what you did? Did you just squeeze out all the lather off the brush into the bowl then continue building lather?

Yes, more or less.
I have very soft water, but your experience mimic mine. The proto (?) lather was exactly as you describe. And after working on it for at least two minutes, I was ready to give up.
But when I squeezed out the brush I noticed that the lather emerging from the centre of the brush looked much better, so I just continued working that lather. And that was all I needed to do. A few seconds later it had transformed to a thicker and more creamy consistency.
It was my first attempt, so I am not ruling out beginners luck, but I will give it another try later on and report my findings :)

Back
Top Bottom