S.O.T.D. Saturday 12th April to Friday 18th April 2014

Wednesday 04-16-14. MUSIC: Johnny Cash - The Man In Black Vol.1.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbnQA5KWFlk[/video]

05f76217-b74b-48dc-94bf-bd3bcd2cb0e7_zps5d836763.jpg

Aleppo soap - Somerset Simpson Duke 3 best badger - Feather all stainless - Polsilver #4 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Le Père Lucien EL 2014 - Alum block - Thayers Cucumber Toner - ASB Speick - ASL Pitralon Classic.

Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: LASS Fougere
Brush: M&F L7 Coral 2-band
Razor: Gillette Slim (5-5-3)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)

Very nice 3-pass shave. Slim was a bit harsh on the ATG pass.
_20140415_173340.JPG

1973 tech
Fs pur tech
Polsilver (3)
Nanny's lime soft soap
Brut a/s

Brut! Who knew? I'm possibly the last person to realise how great this stuff smells! Wonderful end to a smashing shave.

flip-68 said:
Brut! Who knew? I'm possibly the last person to realise how great this stuff smells! Wonderful end to a smashing shave.

That's the reason Brut, Old Spice, Denim, Tabac, Jovan Musk and Blue Stratos are still available.

They're all great.

Cold water splash
Vulfix Grosvenor reknotted w/ TGN 2-band badger
Palmolive Stick (grated, bowl lathered)
Weber PH Bulldog
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black/Indian (4)
Clinique Post-Shave Healer

pjgh said:
Good evening, gents. What a glorious Monday evening!

IMG_5676.JPG

Hot Towel
NSS Ice & Slice - Pure Badger
Star Safety Razor - Gillette Thai Super Thin [1]
Hot Rinse & Cold Rinse
Brut Aftershave

Face Lathered
One Pass ... all I needed

Many thanks to flip-68 for rekindling my interest in double edge shaving after a good stint of single edge and experimentation with straight edge. Phil dropped one of these into a Tech and loved the shave. I commented that I thought that would be the case, more through instinct than anything, so he sent me some to try out for myself.

Well, I am happy to report likewise - I absolutely loved the shave and the blade gave a peculiar lease of life to an otherwise seriously mild razor. I'm using a Star safety razor tonight.

History lesson - GEM ceased the name somewhere along their timeline, switching to Star for the 1912 until its final withdrawal after a brief stint also as Treet. Well, Star wound up their razor production with a double edge safety razor using a Gillette Tech style design. It's mild, perhaps milder than the later, lighter Techs.

With a Gillette Thai Super Thin strapped in, one pass was quite sufficient. Yes, I used the "Gillette Slide" on a couple of areas that I know can be problematic, but that one pass was quite sufficient for one day of growth. I got the kind of shave I get from a single pass with a slant. In fact, I'll use a slant tomorrow just to confirm.

Simple rinse down, no alum, no witch hazel, just water, splash of cold and a good splash of Brut to finish off.

Simple and effective shaving! It's so sharp, the sink was unusually full of stubble soup after that one pass, yet so gentle I could probably have pushed against my face with the razor in both hands and not drawn blood.

Thank you to flip-68 - all my Techs now have a reason other than completing a collection gathering nothing more than dust or a few and far between simple polish at the end of a problematic experimental shave with something peculiar from the early part of the twentieth century. Cheers!

Is that the olive oil NSS?

Chris.

782sirbrian said:
Wednesday 16th April

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Wet Shave Obsession Signature scuttle lathered
Finest Badger brush made by myself
Gillette Executive adjustable D3 (1958) set on 5
Sputnik (3)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Myrsol Antesol aftershave

Today was the first use of the WSO soap. What sets this apart from other artisan soaps is it's triple milled so making it a hard puck similar to MWF, Tabac, DR Harris. The other soaps such as Mike's, Barrister & Mann are soft and pliable making them easy to squash into a container. The WSO is very hard in this respect. I soaked the puck with warm water while I had a shower. I loaded the brush and built up the lather with ease in the scuttle. The scent was a good strength and was very pleasant during the shave. The lather lasted easily through the shave and was slick and dense. I'm happy to have this soap in my growing rotation.

That soap sounds very interesting. Just visited their website and their Baywood scent (Bay Rum & Sandalwood) sounds amazing.
Did you order it from Etsy? Did you order any other varieties?

I had decided enough was enough with my soaps as the bathroom manbinet is bulging with them but this is very tempting...

Wilkinson Sword (German)
Long comb New (Berkshire set)
Professor Blighty Grapewood shaving soap
Kent Infinity Silvertex Infinity synthetic
Boots Freshwood aftershave

Not the closest but no irritation. Nice brush

SOTD - Very pleasant surprise

» Vintage Gillette Flare Tip Rocket
» Astra Green
» NSS - Down Home Summer
» Floris - No 89

Hand Lathered - 2 Passes and feeling great!

I have to say that I really liked Sharon's shave soap, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. :D

Thursday xvii April, 2014

Shower Shave this morning using a Mist free shaving mirror

Prep: Hot shower, Dove Men+Care Sensitive Face Wash
Pre: Tepid Water Splash
Brush: Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger Beehive
Soap: Palmolive/La Toja grated into bowl & face lathered
Razor: Gem Micromatic OC
Blade: Gem Blue Star #2
Post: Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic, Kiehl's Ultimate ASB

Result: The mirror does work. Had to be ready pretty sharpish this morning & shaving in the shower definitely saved time. Quick comfortable two pass shave, now smooth and irritation free.

All the best

Jon

fancontroller said:
782sirbrian said:
Wednesday 16th April

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Wet Shave Obsession Signature scuttle lathered
Finest Badger brush made by myself
Gillette Executive adjustable D3 (1958) set on 5
Sputnik (3)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Myrsol Antesol aftershave

Today was the first use of the WSO soap. What sets this apart from other artisan soaps is it's triple milled so making it a hard puck similar to MWF, Tabac, DR Harris. The other soaps such as Mike's, Barrister & Mann are soft and pliable making them easy to squash into a container. The WSO is very hard in this respect. I soaked the puck with warm water while I had a shower. I loaded the brush and built up the lather with ease in the scuttle. The scent was a good strength and was very pleasant during the shave. The lather lasted easily through the shave and was slick and dense. I'm happy to have this soap in my growing rotation.

That soap sounds very interesting. Just visited their website and their Baywood scent (Bay Rum & Sandalwood) sounds amazing.
Did you order it from Etsy? Did you order any other varieties?

I had decided enough was enough with my soaps as the bathroom manbinet is bulging with them but this is very tempting...

Yes I ordered from etsy very quick delivery. I also got the 'Bill the barber'

Back
Top Bottom