S.O.T.D Sat. 2nd Nov. to Frid.8th Nov. 2013

Prep: Shower
Razor: Gilletter slim twist (aka The Knack)
Blade: Feather
Brush: Wilkinsons Sword best bristle
Soap: King of shaves mild gel
Aftershave: None

Well, my first, and for a while last, shave with a feather. I know, I know, I'd been warned they were sharp, but I damn near needed a transfusion after swapping from the Derby I've been using all week to a brand new Feather.

I intend to put the pack to one side and keep it until I've had more practice, or my adjustable turns up.

On the plus side, 12 hours after I had a shave, those bits of my face still attached are as smooth as a baby's bum, so it'll be worth the practice to get back to using those blades once I can trust myself not to carry out DIY surgery :D

Good evening, gents …

Fast growth and it felt scratchy from the last run of a couple of blades which were honestly past their best …

Hot Towels
Personal PSO
Nanny's Ice & Slice Shaving Soap
Pure Badger Brush
Gillette 'New' Open Comb
Sputnik Stainless (Teflon) [1]
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Alum Wash
Puig Quorum Aftershave
Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser

… and so, a new blade sent to me from a kind chap here.

What a fantastic first run! Absolutely silent, so much so I had to double check that I had actually installed a blade. I had. I had to double take to see that I had the angle right. I had.

Smooth and silent … like Red October.

Nanny's Ice & Slice Shaving Soap is wonderful. Light on the menthol and just a spritz of lime to arouse the nostrils as the thick, creamy and strong lather goes on. This is not face freeze you get from Ingram's, but a gentle caressing as if an ice cube is being run over your skin as you go. Nourishing, the soap is a sheer pleasure to use.

Feeling very cool, it's time for some Quorum.

IMG_3775.JPG

Stirling Scots Pine Sheep Shave Soap
7:00 long comb
Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Turkish no. 6 brush

Well I did it. My batch of 5 Stirling shave soaps - bought by my wife as an Xmas present and not to be touched till then - has been interfered with by me. Secretly. My wife knows she bought me five but is unlikely to know what 'flavours' and I cunningly bought another from a member here to make the numbers up!
The soap takes a little more lathering than I expected, but only a few seconds, and occasional dips in the water, but it produces a lovely thick, slick lather which I was hoping for. This particular one has mutton tallow as the main ingredient. The pine smell is strong and probably not to everyone's taste - and I'm not sure I'd want to use it all the time because if it - but whn the mood takes me this will no doubt be an excellent sharing soap to break out once in a while.
I chose no after shave treatment as I wanted to see how the soap fared on skin once washed off, and it feels smooth and moisturised.
I really will have to wait till Xmas to try my others and I hope they all perform equally well - or better!

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Merkur HD
Blade: Astra Super Platinum
Brush: Proraso Boar
Soap: Klar Kabinett Stick
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger
Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Shea Butter Moisturiser.

This evening I wanted to use the Klar Kabinett Shave Stick. I admit that calling it a stick might be a bit of a stretch. But I think it is better than calling it by its true designation, the Klar Kabinett two by four.

The blade choice for this evening was the green Astra blade. A former favourite of mine, and still a very good every-day blade. I was hoping this would prove to be a very fine combination, but alas it was not.
During the first pass, everything felt fine. The blade was not as smooth as I remembered, but still more than sufficient for the task at hand. The soap smelled pleasantly of roses and I enjoyed my shave. But this enjoyment was short lived, and early in the second pass I felt the burn.
This sensation just intensified, and by the end of the third pass it was rather unpleasant.
A few hours later I can still feel it, and I am hoping that it is not a reaction to the soap. When you have a full kilo, it would be a shame if I have developed an allergy to it.

02112013_zpsa8dce7b8.jpg

Norseman said:

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Merkur HD
Blade: Astra Super Platinum
Brush: Proraso Boar
Soap: Klar Kabinett Stick
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger
Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Shea Butter Moisturiser.

This evening I wanted to use the Klar Kabinett Shave Stick. I admit that calling it a stick might be a bit of a stretch. But I think it is better than calling it by its true designation, the Klar Kabinett two by four.

The blade choice for this evening was the green Astra blade. A former favourite of mine, and still a very good every-day blade. I was hoping this would prove to be a very fine combination, but alas it was not.
During the first pass, everything felt fine. The blade was not as smooth as I remembered, but still more than sufficient for the task at hand. The soap smelled pleasantly of roses and I enjoyed my shave. But this enjoyment was short lived, and early in the second pass I felt the burn.
This sensation just intensified, and by the end of the third pass it was rather unpleasant.
A few hours later I can still feel it, and I am hoping that it is not a reaction to the soap. When you have a full kilo, it would be a shame if I have developed an allergy to it.

02112013_zpsa8dce7b8.jpg

I've always wanted to try the fitjar products but have been a bit put off by the price.

Are they really worth the money?

CelticRoots said:
I've always wanted to try the fitjar products but have been a bit put off by the price.

Are they really worth the money?

That is difficult to answer. But I will try :)

It is for me, but since I am Norwegian and used to these prices, I do not find it all that expensive. Not much more than I would pay for similar items at the local Body Shop.

For instance, one of the few vendors that sell shaving items in Norway charges £10 for a tube of proraso, £13 for a puck of D.R Harris soap and from £17-24 for a tub of cream.
When I order from The Fitjar website I pay £14 for a puck of their soap and £20 for a tub of their cream. So it costs a bit more, but I think it is worth it. Mostly because I like to support our only shaving artisan soap maker. I love the performance, and consider it to be among the best products I have. But it is not miles ahead of anything else I got.
Did this answer your question?

Wacker Stosser Old Sheffield wedge 13/16
Kanayama cordovan #8000
Bill Jack le tuft Chubby 1.5 in lignum vitae
Mitchell's wool fat
Witch hazel
Kiehl's aftershave balm
Kiehl's musk original blend No1

[/align]

Omega 10019 brush
Vitos green soap
Feather Popular TTO razor
Feather blade
Vitos "After Shaving" splash (dorky name, lovely scent)

The Vitos products came from Barbieri di Figaro (Dutch web shop).

Prep: Musgo glycerin soap
Soap/cream: Stirling Barbershop
Razor: CJB Kamisori
Brush: Kent H8
Bowl: Steve Woodhead bespoke
Post shave: Thayers Witchhazel
After shave: Klamperts Finest Bay Rum (Acadian Spice)

[attachment=8859]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383475526.111056.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383475526.111056.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 8
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383475585.623416.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383475585.623416.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 17
Prep: Hot Water and Simpsons Pre Shave Oil
Soap: HoneyBee Soaps Bay Rum
Brush: Simpson The Duke D3 in Manchurian
Razor: Muhle R89 Rosegold
Blade: Viking's Sword by Personna (3)
AS: Ogallala Bay Rum

image.php

145303d1383478944-sun-november-03rd-sat-november-09th-sotd-03112013.jpg

Mastro Livi Double Damascus San Mai, 15/16 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch

• Pre-shave: Proraso Green Pre-Post Shave Cream
  • Soap: Negozio Leggero Hazelnut Oil and Lavender Shave Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger Brush
  • Bowl: Stainless Steel Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Double Damascus San Mai, 15/16 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue After Shave

Gillette executive on 4
Gillette swede (2)
Isana boar brush
Ingrams
Mentholated witch hazel

Much smoother shave this time. Razor has a satisfying weight but im still getting used to it after a month with the old type. Very nice shave - 1st of my Ingram's month :)

Sunday

Cella
Semogue SOC Boar
#15 Aristocrat
Voskhod
Indian Old Spice AS
Nivea Cool Kick ASB

Just the job, now off to see the family for some Sunday lunch, happy days!

Maggard MR-3
Gillette Silver Blue
Stephen's Woodworking Silvertip (SRD)
Petal Pushers Ciderhouse #5 Shave Soap (test sample)
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Grey Flannel Cologne (Geoffrey Beane)
Georgetown Pottery G12 Scuttle

Sunday 11-03-13. MUSIC: Lou Reed - Berlin.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkI9a20yHKk[/video]

93432531-01f2-4162-9c62-2c14b707a3fe_zps8715f4fb.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger 28X56 - Merkur 39C slant - Astra green #3 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream Truefitt & Hill 1805 - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Truefitt & Hill - ASL Dr. Harris Arlington.

Back
Top Bottom