S.O.T.D. Sat 23rd Jan to Fri 30th Jan

27th January 2016

Bulldog Face Wash
Martin De Candre Fougère Shaving Soap
Muhle Silvertip Fibre
Face Lathered
Gillette Tech (Hybrid) & Eversharp Super Stainless (Vintage) (1)
Single Pass - WTG (Slide)

IMG_2897.JPG

Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
YSL Kouros Aftershave & EDT
Pinaud Eau De Quinine Hair Tonic​

With a temporary hiatus from single edge shaving, I'm enjoying a quick run through some Gillette Techs that I treasure: the Hybrid, the Long Slot and a brass pre-War. Tonight, the Hybrid with thanks to @missingskin for offering it to me.

Steve also popped in a number of Ever Sharp Super Stainless blades which are vintage. Upon opening, I wondered just how sharp they might be as I could draw the blade across my skin and it didn't penetrate, a quick test that I use to gauge the sharpness of my single edge blades on a day by day basis ... but it was indeed sharp. Sharp and smooth. Single pass with the grain and with the Gillette slide, I got my usual daily good shave. Smooth and clean.

I'm also revisiting Martin De Candre after quite literally falling for quality French and Italian soap. It really is a classy soap. Thick, strong lather, highly overpaintable and those classically simple French ingredients. No fluff. Seriously good quality, a shave which left me wishing I had not been so quick to move my full sized products on. Damn!

So, first go shaving with a Gillette Hybrid Tech and I found it highly enjoyable. No drama, just a straight-up, quality shave as should be expected from an early Tech. As good as the regular '40s British Tech? I'll find out tomorrow ...

Brian, I'm interested how you attached the handle.
@SharpSpine : I'm interested too. Only two ways that I can think of. Either you re-tap the thread on the 1914 head to M5 and add a grub screw or bolt to the head, or you fit a thread adapter to convert to M5.
I've not seen a converter from Lather Catcher thread to M5 but it would be very cool if it were made (I'm guessing it's not that difficult for someone who knows what they're doing).

Here's how my friend who did it describes it...

"
Vintage SE razors fit onto modern handles, a how-to.

I am sure many of you have already seen some recent threads on TSN & B&B, but I wanted to share my experience here with you as well. I am pretty much an exclusive SE only user these days and I have always desired to use my modern stainless steel handles on my 1912 & 1914 heads. After some online research scouring the forums, I learned how to convert the 1912 (early production) & 1914 heads to the finer/modern #10-32 threads.

Here is what you will need.

1) A drill

2) A drill and tap set
$6.00 at Home Depot

3) #10-32 3/8" stainless steel set screw
$.90 cents for a two pack at Home Depot

The conversion is almost too simple. Brace the razor head in a solid position and drill straight into the hole with the #10-32 bit. Go slow and keep it straight. Then, screw the tap into the hole to create the new threading. That is it! Simple eh? I do want to add that drilling into the soft brass head with the drill bit is not necessary. Using the drill to slowly and carefully drive the #10-32 tap into the head is all you need to do. In my experience, the threading is much tighter and secure by utilizing the tap only technique.

I hope this is useful to some of you.

Happy Shaving!"

Thursday

Wickham Southsea Spray
Semogue 2012 SE
Gem Clog Pruf
Gem blade
Alum
TOBS Mr Taylor's AS
Nivea Creme

20160127_203224_zpsa9fgsnip.jpg

Been using either this combo or with Proraso soap instead this week and it's been great. Top lather from the Wickham. Pleased to read that @Fox is beginning to work his magic again on some new soaps.

Schick Adjustable..:p
DSC_0213_zpshciyji3m.jpg

Three Shaving Pass Routine..:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
Schick Adjustable Injector
NOS Personna Twin Blade x 4
Hans Baier Silver Tip Badger
VITOS Green Tallow Soap (Italy)
North Woods Organic Aftershave Splash

@Karl G Inspired me to get my Schick Adjustable out today for a Twin blade Shave..I love this Hans Baier Silver Tip I got recently from Germany..Its not a well known name outside of Germany but hey its a Top Shelf brush for a fraction of the price of these well known designer jobs..I am going to bump my gums about these high performing tallow soaps again..Another high performing soap that is hardly heard of that doesn't cost an arm & a leg...I don't think there is anything that offers the post shave feeling of tallow soaps...Awesome shave this morning with this twin blade set up..Dolphin smooth & refreshed..Good Karma..:)

Billy

Here's how my friend who did it describes it...

"
Vintage SE razors fit onto modern handles, a how-to.

I am sure many of you have already seen some recent threads on TSN & B&B, but I wanted to share my experience here with you as well. I am pretty much an exclusive SE only user these days and I have always desired to use my modern stainless steel handles on my 1912 & 1914 heads. After some online research scouring the forums, I learned how to convert the 1912 (early production) & 1914 heads to the finer/modern #10-32 threads.

Here is what you will need.

1) A drill

2) A drill and tap set
$6.00 at Home Depot

3) #10-32 3/8" stainless steel set screw
$.90 cents for a two pack at Home Depot

The conversion is almost too simple. Brace the razor head in a solid position and drill straight into the hole with the #10-32 bit. Go slow and keep it straight. Then, screw the tap into the hole to create the new threading. That is it! Simple eh? I do want to add that drilling into the soft brass head with the drill bit is not necessary. Using the drill to slowly and carefully drive the #10-32 tap into the head is all you need to do. In my experience, the threading is much tighter and secure by utilizing the tap only technique.

I hope this is useful to some of you.

Happy Shaving!"
Sounds good , but may be hard to get Drill/Tap set of that size in UK. Any ideas where they can be got in UK.

Thur 28th January
Sterling Syn
OSP Bay Rum
PAL Injecto- matic [ wide handle ]
Schick [ 2 ]
Alum Rub / Aqua Velva A/S

Regrowth from yesterday was quite minimal for me , so for the first time ever in my life , managed to get a more than acceptable 2 pass shave. Another plus, is that I felt confident enough to against the grain on my upper lip.

IMG_0136.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom