S.O.T.D. Sat 23rd Jan to Fri 30th Jan

FB_IMG_1453533326886.jpg

De Vergulde Hand
Sterling synthetic 24mm
Fasan double slant OC
Gillette Nacet (3)
Freshwood AS balm

Can tell that recently I've been using creams or soaps with excellent slickness as the DVH slthough excellent with bulk / cushion does lack a little slip and glide with the razor.

Greetings

Saturday 23rd January 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Gillette Rocket 52 LD (Paperclip)
Blade: Super Iridium
Brush: Semogue OC Boar
Soap: La Toja Stick Grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDP: Serge Lutens Chergui

A pretty moderate shave despite three passes and a lot of touching up. This razor may be quite a desirable collectors piece but (IMHO) it's super mild to the point where it hardly does the job. I choose a Super Iridium blade as I believed my usual carbon Treets would not work well in this razor, I now doubt it would have made much difference.

Oh well, back into the 'rarely if ever use' section of the razor draw!

Regards
Dick.

P1000720.JPG

Last edited:
Sat 23rd January

Vulfix 404 mixed
Vitos Red Soap
PAL Stainless Adjustable Injector
Schick S/S [ 1 ]
Alum Rub/ Floid Vigoroso A/S

Having read bad reports on this razor , was rather wary of using it. But, having received it and it looked good , I had to try it. Loaded with a new Schick blade , and set on Mid point of H/L , I started slowly using it very much as a GEM MM , well it worked for me .

I managed to get not only a Comfortable & Irritation free shave, but the finish was rather good. Much better than with the Schick Adjuster , though it was with a Personna Blade.

IMG_0131.jpg

12512707_10154617917949968_7780820972923739364_n-2.jpg

Pre: Proraso White Sensitive Skin
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Treet Platinum (2)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap: Italian Barber Milionario
A/S: Fine Fresh Vetiver

First time using the Muhle R41. I got away with it! A couple of weepers but no nicks or cuts. Very aggressive to what I'm used to but great fun shaving with it. The soap is something else. Beautiful scent and nice performance and post shave feel.

Saturday 23rd

Palmolive Stick - grated
Chinese Silvertip Fibre
Schick Platinum
Voskhod #4
Alum rub - Duru Lemon Cologne / Alcolado Glacial 2:1 mix - Neurogena Comfort Balm

Great return to DE with this unique razor. Smooth, sweet and efficient.

IMG_20160123_112725207e.jpg

Acqua Di Parma Collezione Barbiere shaving cream
TGN 22mm Finest in Vulfix 404 handle
ATT R1 Kronos
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (3)
Acqua Di Parma Collezione Barbiere ASB
Alvarez Gómez Agua Colonia

s8i4mWoh.jpg

Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Petal Pusher Fancies Honeysuckle
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Kai (1st)
Post #1: Mario Badescu After Shave Moisturizer
Post #2: Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturiser
Scent: Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

A little warmer than it has been of late, so I decided to breakout the Honeysuckle & Neroli Portofino. Roll on Spring!

SOTD - Saturday afternoon
Pre: Hot towel & Village Barber oil
Soap: Vito's 'green'
Brush: Simpson Duke-3 Manchurian
Razor: OneBlade
Blade: GEM PTFE Stainless (2)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by Prorasso green ASL & Village Barber balm
I can only imagine that the creators of the OneBlade envisioned today's shave as their goal. Absolute perfection. NOW I get it! The Gem PTFE blade is the key, it totally blows away the Feather FHS blade.
First time with the Vito's green almond soap. Very nice indeed. I've used the Vito's red (super coco) before and the excess coconut oil in the mix dried my skin out but this 'normal' one did not. The Proraso green was very refreshing.

23rd January 2016

Bulldog Shower Gel
Mickey Lee Soap Works 'Drunken Goat' Shaving Soap
Semogue Owner's Club Pure Bristle (Ash)
Face Lathered
Ever Ready 1912 Deluxe (Red) & GEM Stainless (6)
One Pass - WTG (Slide)

IMG_2825.JPG

Hot Rinse & Cold Rinse
Witch Hazel Toner
Brut Musk Aftershave
Haramain Red African Attar (Wrists & Neck)
Pinaud Clubman Hair Tonic​

Hmmm ... another soap from Mickey Lee Soap Works and again, like 'The Kraken' which I tried earlier in the week, not a straight ride. While 'The Kraken' was overly foamy from the off requiring me to break off and start again, 'Drunken Goat' had me returning to the soap three times to get something I might call a lather.

With Guinness and oatmeal, 'Drunken Goat' is on paper right up my street. I love the idea of it and while enjoying a bottle of Foreign Extra, a shave with a soap that includes Guinness should have been a good thing.

Sadly, it was not. After three trips to the soap, my earlier poor test lathers were confirmed. Thin, very thin, sad looking lather. I got away with a shave, more to do with the smoothness of the blade I think and my usual post-shave lather (something I do for the good skin benefits) just didn't happen - the lather had all but gone from the brush.

I don't think I'll pursue any further purchases from this manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom