S.O.T.D. Sat 15th February to Frid. 21st February 2014

Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: M&F L7 Butterscotch
Razor: Gillette Ball-end Tech (F-4, 1960)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
AS: Proraso balm

Warm water splash, Sat afternoon shave. Only razor I own that's older than me. Forgot how mild these Techs are. Easy 3-pass shave, no drama.

Saturday 02-15-14. MUSIC: Genesis - Trespass (1970).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONMSJREZkt4[/video]

4c4f1676-2d34-4603-b193-61979686e711_zpsa0eb7be8.jpg

Aleppo soap - Restored brush The Golden Nib silvertip Grade A - Feather all stainless - Polsilver #3 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Institut de Karité - ASL Terre D'Hermès.

782sirbrian said:
Thank you for your kind words Martin. Yes I think the snake oil salesman would be tempted by such an item :icon_wink:

Hah, the Good Doctor would need the handle built with that pressed parrotwood or whatever that stuff is. Either that or somehow using purple in the handle. It might be your color scheme could be a bit subdued for him but who knows.

Very nice design in any case.

Prep: Chandrika Ayurvedic Soap
Razor: British Ever Ready 1912
Blade: GEM
Brush: Vulfix 404 Grosvenor
Soap: Supermax Cream
Aftershave: Blue Stratos

Super close, irritation free shave.

Saturday Evening

SOTD%252020140215%2520Rolled.jpg

Hot Towel
Fox's Super Smooth Bay Rum
Pure Badger 23mm
Pilot DE - templ8 Custom Ball End Handle
Treet Platinum Stainless Steel [1]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Old Spice Aftershave
C&S Dark Rose

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - WTG& XTG

First, the soap. Another go with Fox's Super Smooth Bay Rum and I take back comments I might have made about it perhaps lacking that punch in the face that you want from Bay Rum - it doesn't have it, but doesn't need it. That heady clove scent is just right.

I've said it before, but this soap is like a polite gentleman valet. He does everything really well, doesn't interfere, but just gives you those ever so gentle reminders that he's there. Much enjoyed!

The razor is curious - on the face of it, it looks like an impoverished Pakistani knock-off Merkur head ... which it is, but it has hidden depths. Compared side by side against a genuine Merkur head, the baseplate is ever so slightly longer while the cap is just a little slimmer.

And, that is the difference ...

This head gives a greater blade reveal and once screwed down, a much greater blade gap. Yes, making it a much more aggressive shave. With a fresh Treet dropped in and the lightest touch made just right with templ8's heavy ball end handle, I had an absolutely perfect shave and the alum wash at the end proved it. The alloy being a lowly blend gives a hollow, rasping sound as you shave, not dissimilar to 1912 razors. Quite an experience!

Merkur (left) Pilot (right):

DSC04295.JPG

DSC04296.JPG

Lately, I have found myself doing more and more polishing. It occurred to me that I was perhaps racing through the WTG and XTG passes, relying on ATG to get the smoothness I like. Determined to perfect this, I've been concentrating on two passes with the first pass being as perfect as I can make it, which has included just a couple of areas on my face where I make a diagonal stroke.

Continuing the Karachi Barber experience, I splashed a load of Old Spice over at the end and one that died down, tried out my sample of C&S Dark Rose. Yes, I know it's intended for women, but I thought it would compliment this shave ... and it does. It's exotic, like Turkish Delight!

Great shave!

Hot shower/Truefitt & Hill No10 cleansing scrub
Ceramic bowl
Kent BK8
Proraso red
Gillette New with Bulldog handle
SuperMax Super Platinum
Steve's Barbershop bay rum
Perfume Parlour oil - green Irish tweed

[attachment=9651]

First use of the BK8 purchased from the BST this week, and the super platinum.

I thought the brush was great, feeling very luxurious both in the hand and on the face.
Tried the super platinum blade after recently discovering the blue diamonds and was recommended to try these by another member. Nice blade. Will see how it goes but could be a regular blade I think...As always, the New is a great shave.

Very good shave indeed, one of the best ever,...and they all seem to be going this way recently which is great.

Chris

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392494353.479057.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392494353.479057.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 25
A most enjoyable scrape today:

English Fat Tech w/ Permasharp
Hand-carved Ash Boar 27mm
Boot's Shavebowl
Blue Stratos AS
Home-made Post Shave Oil

Two days growth removed with ease.