RIP Top Gear

frankw said:
pugh-the-special-one said:
I may also start watching it now that he's gone.

"The pressure this guy [Tymon] is under is so Savilesque in a way, Clarkson's support from high-level politicians recalled the way Savile was once defended. If you look at what David Cameron says or what [former Culture and Media Secretary] Maria Miller says and you swap Clarkson for Savile, you get this: David Cameron is effectively saying that Savile's a real talent, Maria Miller saying Savile will be Savile."

"An accident waiting to happen.. what was he going to do next?"

Personally, I think (Warren Mitchell's) Chairman Alf, would be a far safer bet for the former presenter's job… and would continue to provide entertainment for white van man, in the bbc's time honoured tradition. Yes indeed... Savile, Ross, Evans, Clarkson,

Two of the 4 are back presenting high profile TV and Radio for the BBC, one is dead (good riddance) how long till Clarkson reappears? Like him or loath him, he is a good journalist and has many fans

Greetings

I am a liitle surprised that Clarkson got his marching orders, although I felt the BBC were in a position where they had no other realistic choice, especially as they are presently in the self purging phase following the Saville abuse cases; I still thought that they would come up with a way of keeping their biggest income generator.

My cynicism was proved wrong and I am glad, in it's simplest form you just cannot 'stick one on' a work colleague especially one who you are responsible for and expect to keep your job.

I have been thinking all week how the Beeb would come up with a method of keeping him that was not a PR disaster for them, obviously they were unable to think of one! I am sure he was sacked in the spirit of 'bugger we've got no choice', rather than he deserves it for his behaviour.

By the way I have never been a fan of the programme having no interest in cars beyond the fact that you have to have one and even less interest in Clarkson.

Regards
Dick.

Seems to me that the only mistake Clarkson made was thumping the guy in public instead of inviting him behind the funnel (a small area in a ship out of sight of everywhere). I have no idea what he is like off camera but I love him on it - he's just like me in my younger days!

Just kinda depressing to think that we've now reached a stage where a bullying yob who resorts to physically assaulting a subordinate half his size in a temper tantrum over a free cold meal has every readon to believe he's going to get away with such behaviour 'cause he's regarded as a " talent ".

JohnnyO.

What pees me off more than anything is how important the media deem this story to be. Watching the BBC News last night it appeared after the latest updates on the Germanwings plane crash, but before (and therefore deemed more important) than the Report into HIV tainted blood products that thousands of truly unfortunate people received in the course of routine treatments.

Clearly that's a less significant story.

I haven't watched Top Gear for years it had obtained a level of up it's own arse I couldn't cope with. Watching three very, very rich, middle aged, white dudes revelling in their privileged status just ain't my bag. The fact he's part of Cameron's set removed any last traces of 'rebel' he had left.
Stopping people in his position behaving like that is one of the reasons we have Trade Unions.

There again I am a bleeding heart liberal old Hippy so .....

Count of Undolpho said:
I haven't watched Top Gear for years it had obtained a level of up it's own arse I couldn't cope with. Watching three very, very rich, middle aged, white dudes revelling in their privileged status just ain't my bag. The fact he's part of Cameron's set removed any last traces of 'rebel' he had left.
Stopping people in his position behaving like that is one of the reasons we have Trade Unions.

Yes, yes and yes. Ans so am I.

The programme was boring anyway. However one the best bits of TV ever - Clarkson getting pushed into the icy Fjord.

Count of Undolpho said:

Count, I think you need to update your signature - along the lines of '...black men and white men (except where they are extremely rich middle-aged tossers), Jews...':icon_wink:

Being publically funded, do the BBC ever lose out ?

JohnnyO. :icon_arrowd::icon_razz:/.

(Not sure how my dotery old self managed 2 smileys there, no hidden meaning, just incompetence ).

I like the programme, I enjoy the cinematography which is down to the producers more than the presenters,. When compared to watching people jump in a swimming pool, sit in a house or eat bugs its a great Sunday evening magazine show.

Just don't expect to learn anything about cars from the fat oaf and you won't go wrong. The internet destroyed serious car shows where most folk can go to any number of good websites for real information. All that I want on a Sunday evening is entertainment and most of the other shows don't do that for me.

I'd kick him in the family jewels if I knew him but as a personality i enjoyed the crass fat oaf act, unfortunately it seems its not an act as much as I thought.

UKRob said:
Count of Undolpho said:
Count, I think you need to update your signature - along the lines of '...black men and white men (except where they are extremely rich middle-aged tossers), Jews...':icon_wink:

Mr King was a far better man than I Rob, he was willing to forgive people who'd kill him for the colour of his skin. Me? I'm pretty good with Race, Creed, Colour and Sexuality; Tossers on the other hand I really can't be doing with.

I should really have said:-

There again I am a bleeding heart liberal old Hippy Punk Rocker so .....

Too Hippy for the Punks, too Punk for the Hippies, drippy bastards that they are.

I'm a massive fan of the show, most intelligent folks (I hope) realise that JC is a tw@t and most of comments he makes are designed to infuriate/provoke...
Its a light hearted entertainment show for "blokes", even though my Mrs likes it!
I still get the feeling that whatever happened, has been over exaggerated... Even so if he has overstepped the mark then he deserved to sacked...

Back
Top Bottom