RIP Top Gear

They fired Jeremy Clarkson today, and by the looks of his twitter James May quit. Top Gear will go on, but what made Top Gear an international sensation wasn't the cars, or the challenges, or any of the other things that have been copied by all of the unsuccessful other car shows and regional top gears. What made it an international sensation was Jeremy, James and Richard.

Without them, all three of them, it is irrelevant. I have watched every single episode of Top Gear from series 1 (really pretty bad) to series 22, and am rather gutted by the whole thing.

I understand they felt the need to do something, but the BBC just shot the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Joel

I tink you are referring to the present format - the programme existed well before any of the three presenters you mention came along.

There was very little the BBC could do, IMO - Clarkson has history and punching a producer is a sackable offence - regardless of his popularity and following. Personally, I think it was well past time for him to go.

As for the other two - the programme made them - not the other way round.

They will teach the BIB decision to get rid of him in business schools years from now. Killing the goose and all that.. the moment they changed the format where the show stopped being about cars but about them I started to loose interest TBH, yes it's all about fun but yawn yawn it's started to be a bit boring for me personally.

So what will happen? the three millionaires will move to where they will be paid even more, ITV anyone? what will you call it if ITV or Sky or anyone else with deep pockets give them their own show?

I quite like the show. Mindless fluff. A big guy smacked a producer. If you assault anyone there should be sanctions. If you or I lamp a boss we will walk. It's unacceptable.

I've got bored of it recently. How many times has there been a race across a country or a continent? It had almost become a parody of itself and it seemed like they were just regurgitating old ideas.

I actually liked the 80's Top Gear with William Wollard and Chris Goffey very much. Can't see it ever returning though unfortunately.

It's about time Clarkson was moved on and some fresh blood introduced. The never-grown-up public school boy character was getting tiresome for me at least.

Surely there's someone who can do what he does (whatever that is) to present a motor programme. It seems many people think no-one else in the UK has the talent to do this.

Hey, here's a thought - replace him with a woman - that'd shake up the show a bit. Why not? I don't see why his two mates have to skulk off the show too, they need to knuckle down and get on with it - stuff happens, deal with it. The rest us have to.

Now then, which female would you choose to replace the old boy?

joe mcclaine said:
Clarkson is a massive fucking bellend, and I could happily punch him in his gormless looking fat face until I was totally fucking exhausted.

Wanker.
I love you and we should make babies

or otherwise known as :

+1,
or

we really need a like feature here, any chance of that? I am sure the forums support it?

My Mrs said if he's gone she will make a point of watching it with a new presenter just to show her approval of the decision.

The Beeb had no option. If they let it go then it would set a precedent within the organisation that assault does not equal gross misconduct and the fact would be dredged up by lawyers at any future disciplinary hearings or tribunals irrespective of who was involved.

Clarkson brought it on himself and he should be apologising to the fans who have lost their beloved format of a show due to his tantrum and violent behaviour.

Vinny sums him up perfectly he's so fucking arrogant, the police are awaiting the BBC report so the will be assault charges, I hope that guy takes Clarkson to the cleaners financially I just hope all broadcasters join in a nation wide snub in the future, I may also start watching it now that he's gone.

pugh-the-special-one said:
I may also start watching it now that he's gone.

"The pressure this guy [Tymon] is under is so Savilesque in a way, Clarkson's support from high-level politicians recalled the way Savile was once defended. If you look at what David Cameron says or what [former Culture and Media Secretary] Maria Miller says and you swap Clarkson for Savile, you get this: David Cameron is effectively saying that Savile's a real talent, Maria Miller saying Savile will be Savile."

"An accident waiting to happen.. what was he going to do next?"

Personally, I think (Warren Mitchell's) Chairman Alf, would be a far safer bet for the former presenter's job… and would continue to provide entertainment for white van man, in the bbc's time honoured tradition. Yes indeed... Savile, Ross, Evans, Clarkson, such a legacy… we should be proud of the british broadcasting corporation.

Back
Top Bottom