Review: Timeless Razor's OC model

Forgot to post these;

Second shave with the Timeless last night. Unfortunately this shave was a little rushed as the in laws were coming round and I didn't have long to get ready. As such, it's difficult for me to give a truly informative review as I didn't spend as long as I would have liked to on the shave. It was also my first use of my new Simpsons Duke 3 and the 1912 Russian Leather so even more annoying that I was a little rushed! That being said, here's my thoughts;

- Timeless 0.95 scalloped baseplate with scalloped top cap and 0.85mm handle
- Astra SP second use (2)
- Simpsons Duke 3
- 1912 Russian Leather
- Alum block
- Thayers WH Aloe
- Speick AB
- Speick AS

Having started the thread on "No Swirling" and reading the contained advice, I was quite tentative with the brush, as such I didn't generate the kind of lather I'm used to from the 1912. I think it will just take a bit of time to improve my badger technique! That being said, it felt good to use, it's nice in the hand and I'm looking forward to more shaves with it. The soap itself is nice, it's classic Imperial Leather, there's not much more to add to that. If you want a "clean" smelling shave it's the sort of soap for you.

On to the shave, this is a bit more up my street in comparison to the 0.68 baseplate. It's got a little bit more about it and is a little more efficient than the 0.68 as you would expect considering the bigger blade gap. The first pass was decent, as was the second. I had a couple of weepers, nothing catastrophic, but the finish wasn't amazing. At the moment I'm not feeling a tremendous amount of love for these razors, the finish just isn't as good as what I get with my single edge razors and I'm also getting a bit more irritation on my neck.

I used Alum for the first time in a while because of the couple of weepers and there was a decent amount of sting from it.

I'm actually likely to shave again tonight using the 0.95 OC as the finish wasn't great last night and I want to look cleaner than I currently am for work tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

img_20160924_184916-01-jpeg.2252

Third shave with the Timeless late last night and this was the best shave of the three. I used the 0.95 OC Baseplate with the scalloped head and the 0.85mm handle paired with an Astra SP blade on its third outing. It was also the turn for the final 1912 soap that I had to try, Citrus Musk. The soap lathered as 1912 does, using the Omega 49 Pro brush as (following proper brush care advice) I aim to leave at least 24, if not 48 hours between uses of brushes. The scent of the soap is as the title suggests, musky! It's a pleasant scent, I didn't find it to be as heavily scented as the other soaps in the range, but it smells good and I look forward to using it again.

On to the shave, a two pass routine with touch ups is what I am for, I don't chase BBS. The Timeless OC 0.95 has felt the best of the configurations I've tried to date. The teeth are smooth, I couldn't feel them during the shave and the razor is efficient. I'm still pretty smooth 11 hours after my shave (10:30 here at the time of writing and I was shaving at 23:30 last night). It worked its way through a day's growth with ease, as you would expect. I did pick up a couple of weepers. Whilst I enjoyed the shave the most with this configuration of the Timeless, I still didn't enjoy it the most when compared to my SEs, but I will be solely using this configuration, changing between the 0.85mm and the 100mm handles for the rest of my time with the razor I think. I don't see much point going back to the other configurations when this gave me the best shave, with the least amount of irritation. Perhaps by the end of my time I will be getting the same sort of results I get with the SEs, time will tell.

- Timeless 0.95mm OC with 0.85mm handle and scalloped head
- Astra SP (3)
- Omega Pro 49
- 1912 Citrus Musk
- Thayers WH Aloe
- Speick AB
- Speick AS

Fourth shave with the Timeless last night. Best one of the lot, using my new Windrose H3 handle, scalloped top cap, 0.95mm open comb baseplate.

The handle is lovely, I'm glad I bagged one of the last ones. Well made, comfortable to use, looks great.

Fancied the 1912 Cashmere and it created a nice lather, using the Duke 3 I'm still not getting the lather I'm used to, but it's better than my first round! Lovely scent as always.

The shave was after 3 days of growth so the Timeless needed to do well to cope with that in my usual two passes. It did do well and I ended up smooth. A couple of tiny nicks on my neck but in a spot where I've been getting a bit of irritation so no problems there.

A good shave last night.

- Timeless 0.95mm OC, scalloped head, H3 Windrose handle
- Simpsons Duke 3
- 1912 Cashmere
- Thayers WH Aloe
- Speick AS
- Speick AB

img_20160928_223252-01-01-jpeg.2384

As my Timeless kit has got as far as Ipswich, but still needs to travel a few miles further North, I'm perhaps getting a bit ahead of myself.
I've got permutations of the scalloped and open comb bases, and plain and scalloped caps en route. However, I feel that I really ought to consider the safety bar "Solid Bar" baseplate as well (just for completeness, you understand).
Does anyone have experience of, and/or thoughts on which blade gap to go for on the Solid Bar?

As my Timeless kit has got as far as Ipswich, but still needs to travel a few miles further North, I'm perhaps getting a bit ahead of myself.
I've got permutations of the scalloped and open comb bases, and plain and scalloped caps en route. However, I feel that I really ought to consider the safety bar "Solid Bar" baseplate as well (just for completeness, you understand).
Does anyone have experience of, and/or thoughts on which blade gap to go for on the Solid Bar?
I think you should go for both being as you are undecided, if funds will alow of course.

These razors are things of beauty, and extremely efficient besides.

I held off shaving this morning until my razors arrived with Parcelforce, and was therefore a bit more stubbly than usual.

For my first outing with Timeless, I chose the .95 scalloped baseplate and scalloped cap, with the 100mm Barber Pole handle. My blade of choice was a Nacet, and soap Nanny's "The Spicy One". Two passes, and the result was a smooth, irritation-free shave.

There was a certain degree of "bite" evident, which suited me fine, and leads me to think that the OC with the smaller gap will also work well.

To finish, Omega balm, Pitralon Classic a/s and Roger et Gallet EDT.

I think I will also buy the Solid Bar plate.

After 3 days of scalloped cap and bar, I've started Day 1 of the OC and plain cap, again with a Nacet blade.

I was right in my belief that my choice of the OC should be the .68 gap (Mild?) as it shaves as well as the .95 Scalloped. This time I used Wickham Club Cola soap. The only downside is that some damn mosquito bit me on the cheek last night, which doesn't do a lot for shaving that place.

PS I succumbed and ordered a Solid Bar baseplate in the .95 size today. Apart from the stands, which I have no room for, I now seem to have a permutation of Timeless caps, baseplates and handles to deal with every circumstance.

Last edited:
My write up on the Timeless 0.68 scalloped;

My first shave with the Timeless razor from an ATG pass around and I thought I would start with the scalloped top cap and scalloped 0.68 baseplate. I was slightly apprehensive about the mildness of this plate as suggested by @Nishy and obviously @Timelessrazor themselves. However I only had a couple of days growth so I thought it would be OK.

I prepped with some Argan oil, a good face rub/mini massage and moved onto the soap.

I am currently trying out a few different soaps from the ATG newbie pass around. Last night it was the turn of Nanny's Silly Soap (NSS) - English Rose. The scent of this from the sample pot is subtle, but pleasant. When lathering it strengthens in scent, but not by much and is enjoyable. Having taken a reasonable amount from the sample pot into the mug, I expected to be getting quite a bit of lather, but was disappointed. I went at it for a decent stretch of time, but couldn't get the sort of results I'd get from other soaps. May just be me, but the performance of this let's it down in my opinion.

Back to the razor, using the smaller of the two handles and a fresh Astra SP blade I started on my first pass and very quickly realised this is not the baseplate for me. The razor feels good in the hand, with a reassuring weight and the angle is easy to find, but this baseplate is too mild for me. I finished my first pass and was still a little patchy in places and those areas that weren't patchy were going to require at least two more passes and I'm usually a two pass and done man and do not chase BBS.

Second pass XTG on my face and my final pass on my neck as I don't like to take risks with that area. Results a little better after this pass, but still not great with areas still visibly patchy. So third pass was a mix of XTG and ATG and this left me with a decent result but nothing to write home about.

In fairness, this is my first foray back into DE shaving having used SEs and dipping my toe in SR shaving. The Clog-Pruf is the most recent of these that I'm comparing to and comparatively the Clog-Pruf had me smoother, with a better finish, in quicker time.

I finished off with some Thayers Witch Hazel Aloe Vera and some Speick AB followed that.

Not the most satisfying shave in all honesty, but I'm looking forward to what the 0.95 baseplates bring and also the longer handle. Most certainly not making my mind up on this razor having only used a baseplate I was worried about the mildness of in the first place!

An observation on this base plate; I take apart my razors after every shave to give them a thorough clean, before taking them apart they get a good rinse under running water. Upon taking apart I realised that some lather/whisker mix had clogged up the front two baseplate flow through holes (only way I can think of describing this area). Not a massive problem for me as like I say, I take apart my razors every shave, but for those of you that leave the blade in, this could be something to watch out for. I don't envisage this problem with the 0.95 baseplates as the area for the lather to flow through is larger (although the solid bar may also have this problem).

So those are my first impressions. 0.68 not for me, it's back in the box, but I'm looking forward to trying the 0.95. I'll be going for the 0.95 scalloped tomorrow.

img_20160921_231934-01-jpeg.2200

- Timeless 0.68 scalloped with 85mm handle and scalloped top cap
- Astra SP (0)
- Omega 49 Pro
- Argan oil
- NSS English Rose
- Thayers WH Aloe
- Speick AB

May I ask what size your scuttle is? I take it's made by Steve Woodhead?

Cheers
Rob

Back
Top Bottom