razor recommendations

And im insulted, I don't have a unibrow. bushy yes, but not joined into one.

Im right 90% of the time. And yes I get to play with razor blades. I can even cut my own meat.

Shave my face Is the only American forum I go to. Its pretty much minimal traffic now.

Reactions: Len
Nothing wrong with merkur, muhle, or EJ. I don't like most of their marketing strategies and I don't like the EJ woman in America.

This is not an American forum. 90% of us probably have no idea which woman you're talking about. So if you have an axe to grind with her, do it on SMF or whatever American forum.

And indeed, I don't understand the whining and complaining. If you don't like it somewhere, leave. If others feel like you, they will come to the same conclusion. Otherwise, just let them be happy.

Regarding advice for newbies; there is enough, and good advice as well, in my opinion. And it turns out most new shavers find their own way, with some experimenting and asking questions.

There's tons more advice and knowledge sharing nowadays than when I started wetshaving, almost 35 years ago.

In short, stop spreading the negativity, and start enjoying your shaves ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bezoar,

I am amused by your style, and agree with some of what you have to say... And it does seem you are occasionally taking the piss out of your British cousins, them remaining unawares...

But I have to ask you, your screen name? At first I thought Bezoar was some Babylonian God of Vengeance, but a quick search revealed the following:

"A bezoar (BE-zor) is a solid mass of indigestible material that accumulates in your digestive tract"

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gastroparesis/expert-answers/bezoars/faq-20058050

Living up to your screen name, it appears, and definitely taking the piss...

;)

Greetings Bezoar

I am not the brightest star in the universe and I certainly do not possess the mental horsepower to work out quite what the f**k you are whingeing and whining about. It's not an 'American Thing', our U.S. members are full of fun and positivity, you come across as a man who is only happy if he has something to complain about. You do not have to like Zamak razors, you do not have to like U.S. razor forums, you do not have to recommend anything to anybody.

You are perfectly entitled to your views and you are perfectly entitled to express them but do cheer up a bit old fellow!

The owner of this site does not sell any shaving gear. On this site if you wish to argue the merits of shaving with a chainsaw you may do so.

Regards
Dick.

Is this true or are you fibbing?
I'm not fibbing. As you can see in this thread, http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-custom-title-thread.27373/
Supplicants can request specific titles (which are never granted, just so you know) or can have titles recommended for them (rarely granted) or post that they would like a title (that request may or may not be granted).

...and the admin and/or designated mods are the only ones who have the power to grant or change a custom title.

Edit: the custom title is rarely something the supplicant would have chosen for themselves. Some are granted based on a poster's comments, sometimes for a thread they posted, and sometimes for completely frivolous reasons.

Edit 2: I even posted instructions on how to get a custom title in that thread. :)

Instructions for getting a custom title:

Route One:
Step 1- Propose a title for yourself in this thread, the more outlandish, the better.
Step 2- Wait for people to comment on said proposal.
Step 3- Wait for moderators to read comments and choose your title from among the comments...if any are worthy.

Route Two:
Step 1- Make it known that you have a strong preference and/or expertise for one type of shaving accessory.

Route Three:
Step 1- Start a thread that compares shaving to eating.

Route Four:
Step 1- Complain bitterly to Moderators about your lack of a custom title.
Step 2- Results may be unpleasant and unpredictable.

Last edited:
Actually I agree with some of the OP's points. There does exist a money agenda on some shaving Forums. Lens post seems to me to be pretty on the ball about that. There does also seem to be certain people heavily endorsing certain razors above others and I've always felt there was an agenda there. The One blade stood out there.

As for beginners recommendations I'd agree the EJ, Muhle 89, Superspeed and Tech are decent recommendations, but because they are affordable not because they are safe starters. I see no reason why any other cheap razor isn't recommended though. Personally I don't see a problem starting with a 37C or Fatip which are also cheap razors. No real need to start with the mildest razor possible.

I don't get the Edwin Jagger hate though. EJ have a good customer service and seem happy to replace broken heads, even if the user has dropped the razor. Merkur don't have that same customer service. In the past they have told customers they haven't taken care of their razor because they left it in an unsuitable environment ie the bathroom. Merkur doesn't get the hate though. Hatred of all things Zamak seems to come more from the US Forums.

Love of all things stainless seems to have started there too. Nowt wrong with wanting longevity but it doesn't make for a better shave. Personal preference is fine but recommending stainless razors to beginners costing £100 or more is elitist crap in my book and it's happened on this Forum too. In that regard the cheaper Zamak razors make more practical sense as beginner recommendations.

Forums are a funny thing though in general. They go through cycles of being good and bad. Members come and go, repetitive questions from newcomers, bored twaddle from old timers, boring lather pics, and recommendations for socks. Then a new interesting cycle begins. That's Forums.

Forums are a funny thing though in general. They go through cycles of being good and bad. Members come and go, repetitive questions from newcomers, bored twaddle from old timers, boring lather pics, and recommendations for socks. Then a new interesting cycle begins. That's Forums.
Well said. I ditched TSD for almost a year after reading all the new posts for a week or two and thinking to myself, "Same old shit. Doesn't anyone use the search function?"

Newish DE shaver love my pre 1950 Tech ,62 Slim, Merkur 33,34 and 1907 all are good for me ,use Astra SP and Polsilver SI Blades a good selection of Soaps and Brushes and looking forward to trying out a couple of Chinese Razors soon .
I shave every day for pleasure and have an embarrassing collection of after shave lotions and balms.
Some of this was influenced (assisted) with comments from other experienced forum members however at my age I thought shees you did this over 50 years ago without any help so like way back then I did it by "testing the water" and as far as I am concerned the only good way is the one that suits your beard and face:)

So we're still banging on about other forums.

I don't think this thread is so much about other forums than it is about how the industry presently works through such forums as it's tool, and by other related media.

Surely, that is a worthwhile topic here, and might only make those uncomfortable who stand to gain a profit, or who collaborate with such people... That would rather not have the point be made that the wizard is behind the curtain.

I have Watched these Newbie DE Recommendation Threads since I joined the Forum & they Regularly Turn into a Barking Ground for some Unknown Reason to me..;)

Vintage this Modern that..Stainless this Pot Metal that..Too Aggressive this..Too Mild that..Artisan this Artisan that..I am Real Wet Shaver this & that..:confused:

Its Clear to Me by reading some of these Threads that a Lot of Folks just Don't get on with a DE Razor of any Shape or Form..That's Why Cartridge Razors became so Popular..Back in the Day of Straight Razors a lot of men Grew Beards or Partial Beards for the Same Reason..They didn't get on with SRs..Nothing has Changed..:p

In the Recent Past..Clean Shaven Men like Jessie James were Feared because they were Showing there Prowess with Shaving with a Straight Razor..He carried his 2 Six Guns Concealed in Shoulder Holsters..In Public No One knew Who he was..He was still Feared because he was Clean Shaven..:eek:

My Point Being..There is No Magic Wand DE Razor or any Other Razor going to work for anybody that Cant use it..All the Newbie Advice in the World isn't Going to Change that..:D:D:D:D

Billy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom