Razolution DDE Razor

Am I the only person whose Google Translator came up with this translation into English from the site , and I quote ,

"The very open head design with relatively freestanding blade allows you to shave too long, thick beard without constipation, flushing succeeds very well at all times."

The mind boggle's

Bechet45 said:
What a very good thought, Scott - you are way ahead of me. I think a Weber Classic would help tremendously. Leaving the question of what to put on the end of the mushroom, slightly bendy black handle. Only one thing springs to mind and it is spelt DLC so no surprises there!! The All Black Bendy Weber is born!!!

Oh no! My Webers and my iKons do not like the Razolution handle thread - almost like it but crucially not quite! The thinner iKon Classic is better suited than the Weber Classic imo - but the threads stop all that malarky! So do I have an M5 handle with a slightly dodgy thread or is the thread somehing other than M5? Any machinists lnow if there is anything very close? Nowhere near as obvious as the Fa Tip thread.

I have just tried the head on a few handles, iKon bulldog I & II, Weber bulldog, UFO Godzilla, a Gillette New bar and even a Stahly handle the only handle that didn't fit it was the FaTip. I tried the bendy handle on a few heads and it fitted the threads on the all but it didn't fit the Weber head as the tip of the handle is fouling on the two cross bars either side of the thread bar hole, the dimensions are too close. It even fitted the FaTip but I had to be careful for cross threading and stripping the threads whilst screwing on as I believe the FaTip is threaded to M4.5x0.75 rather than the standard M5x0.8. :)

Scott.

Just been playing while s*itting and contemplating te state of the nation and come up with the final pairing: the Razolution head fits very nicely on an old style iKon Classic handle, the thread of which has just been refurbished - good colour match, weight and balance are good. The masterpiece though - my Stahly head looks a million on the bendy black mushroom handle from the Razolution.

This leaves a 110mm Neep handle redundant and the soon-to-be-received #101 head on a Templ8 handle. I can see that more shopping will be required to sort this out finally. And someone asked what's the point of buying a Razolution!

The head isn't that heavy because it is very narrow but heavy enough for me to prefer it on a stainless Classic handle so I can achieve a perfect balance, as with any razor.

I expect you could use it with one blade - nah! - I expect you could assemble it with one blade (if the handle thread is deep enough) but te blade exposure would daunt even thhe most foolhardy and/or drunk. It is a dual blade razor - all the others are single blade.

Shave Review and Comments.

I have now completed my first full shave with a Razolution - loaded with two Gillette 7 O'c Greens, my 'test blades'.

Think Joris and R41 2011 and then dial back a bit - not much but a bit. I produced weepers at tender spots but no other bllood, though my face was roughened up somewhat - needed some TLC moisturiser.

This is a whwole new ball game! The handle has to be damn near parallel to the shaved plane - as difficult to achieve consistently as first time driving in France. This means you need to distort your face and neck into as many straight lines as possible. For your neck, think wolf howling at the moon, head way back. For your face, think straight razor shaving.

I don't know for sure which blade cut my sideburns but they seem to be a little high today so I'm guessing top blade. It's a very tall head to choose your starting point. Immediatel, you can feel a large blade exposure and so go slowly, giving super audible feedback. Tender areas - upper lip, say - feel way too exposed and vulnerable to blade wobble but, in fact, the blade is secure. Just go lightly!!

WTG neck is all but an impossibility with a long handle and insufficient neck flexibility - I need howling practice! But - persevere and oter passes will take care of this. Short handles must surely help with the neck so Bulldog users will have an advantage.

XTG asks for more straight lines at 90 degs to the WTG pass. I found plenty and could feel I was getting closer. Beware tender spots again - this is a Real Man's razor!!

ATG permitted access to places other passes had not - so it's like a mini ATG 1st Pass in small areas.. The neck becomes more available. Weepers at tender areas insufficiently shaved in the first two passes

I've finished up with an acceptable office shave but by no means a BBS or even DFS - and a roughed up face. Those of us who have a problem getting a smooth neck will be back to kindergarten technique-wise.

I empphasise all this is after my first shave with a completely new, different concept razor.

My first Weber shave was like a duck taking to water and was BBBS or pretty damn near. The Razolution was the opposite of this experience. If you are looking for an easy shave, this razor is not for you. If you like a challenge (I can shave with anything!) or are a collector of strange razors, this is a razor for you. If I knew then what I know now, would I have bought a Razolution - No! Having bought one, am I disappointed - No! There is a lot to learn in mastering this razor that will tansfer to 'normal' razors and my technique will benefit hugely.

When will I use it next? After my face has calmed down in a couple of days or more. Actuallu, it feels OK already but I'll rest it anyway.

It was an excellent review Carl, but I suspect people like me are just wondering if this a worthy addition to the armoury. At the moment I'm not convinced enough to be tempted although I like the challenge of being able to say that I can shave with most things! It'll be interesting to see how you get on over time and the difference you notice once you've got your howling perfected!

Excellent read and review. Nice to actually read something from someone who has actually bought the thing and tried it rather than from those who just decided to mock it from afar.

Good stuff.

slantman said:
Was going to order one via eBay but the price of shipping alone was 40 Euro. That is about $56 just to ship. That is insane. I will wait to see if they are eventually available in the US.

Hold on for a bit, and folks here will be selling theirs ;)

I haven't had the chance to try one out as yet, I took two new razors with me to work, an on loan Digress and an iKon slant, so I have stayed with known blades to give these razors a fair crack of the whip. Although I did throw one in the bag as I left and it is a shave night, I might just pop it in the Digress.

Scott.

Used the Razolution blade tonight, but I can't comment on how it does or doesn't perform. I couldn't generate a decent lather with my TOBS soap. No fault of any of the components but the water out here is totally rubbish. I had been just about getting by with the wee bit of Ingram's I had left this trip away but that ran out on my last shave.

Scott.

Back
Top Bottom