Razolution DDE Razor

johant1968 said:
If you would compare it to a regular DE, what would the main differences in shaving be?

The angle, it is fine around the face, a good BBS but that's the easy bit, when it comes to the neck area there is little room for manoeuvre. It needs a very shallow angle to cut the hair, the two blades are at slightly different angles, with the upper blade having the tightest curve. I'm not sure what the purpose of that is. However, with the correct angle it is a nice efficient and smooth shave for my chops, just need to practice and get the correct technique and angles for the neck. Up and down is fairly straight forward but with the multi direction beard growth I have, I need a XTG pass. Which is where I am finding difficulty.

MrK1 said:
Am I missing something then?
If you still have to do the same number of passes as a single blade DE, then whats the point of this?

What is the point of living if we do not experment? learn new things? try new ideas? add to our already extensive collection of razors?

The real question is - when does a stainless version hit the shops?

Think in terms of the shavers' Holy Grail for the answer to your question.

Bechet45 said:
MrK1 said:
Am I missing something then?
If you still have to do the same number of passes as a single blade DE, then whats the point of this?

What is the point of living if we do not experment? learn new things? try new ideas? add to our already extensive collection of razors?

I believe question was about engineering, not Scott's acquisition.

^ That's exactly what I meant.
I get the need to try new razors, but what's the point of faffing with 2 blades on something that gives you the same shave as 1 blade?

If it gave a closer, smoother shave with 1 pass then it would be worth buying.

I'd just finished shaving - rinsing my face - when the door-bell rang and my Razolution arrived. Well - you just gotta have a play, now don't you? One thing lead to another and I was doing a 'touch-up' pass - what a brilliant razor and what a lot to learn. If nothing else, I reckon my technique will improve by using this razor but I anticipate much more.

The audible feed-back is terrific - and needed. Within the first minutes of use, I found it difficult to maintain the correct angle - or a workable angle anyway. Parallel to the shave plane is hard to keep - but I'lll learn. Neck is indeed problematic in this respect. I suspect shorter handles and those without the mushroom end might make things easier - though the 100mm handle suits my hand just fine, it makes staying parallel in restricted areas very difficult - not that you can have parallel to a curve - so chin way high in he air, head thrown well back helps matters ATG.

The funniest thing was my reaction to putting two blades into this £50 experiment! "How extravagent!!"

I'm glad you have the same findings as me, Carl. I don't have a very eloquent turn of prose to describe this razor. But my thoughts are very similar to yours, it'll take some practice learning the new angle and technique required but I think it'll be worth the effort. You make a good point with the cheaper version without the silicone covered handle may be more user friendly.

MrK1, I see your point but I feel that this razor will offer a nice change of pace. On the easy bits, the razor was as efficient as the Futur I tried recently, very nearly good enough on one pass. However, my problem is my growth pattern on neck it's quite irregular so at least two passes are needed for a DFS.

I'm glad I've tried it and I will happily use it in my rotation. Do you need this razor? No. Is it worth trying? In my opinion, yes, but I think I read in another thread is that all you need is one decent razor the rest of your collection is driven by desire. Why else would someone spend £700 on a Darwin when £20 would buy you a perfectly good EJ DE89? :angel:

Scott.

It's got a nice finish, I believe it's chrome plate, the top cap is brushed and has a nice tactile feel, there is a mark on the underside of the shiny sandwich piece from one of the locating lug holes and a tiny bit of brass visible on the underside of the base plate, again on one of the locating lug holes. The handle is fine, even though the flared end makes it tricky to maintain a usable angle. Certainly no worse than any of my three Merkurs, which are slightly cheaper but in the ball park in price.

Carl, I have just tried an iKon bulldog handle to see if it fit, perhaps one of your many handles may be better for keeping the angle, maybe a Weber Classic?

UKRob said:
What's the finish quality and feel like - in other words does it look like a £50 razor?

Now that is a YMMV question if ever I saw one! Not surprisingly, the answer will be YMMV. I like the razor and I have just paid £50 and I'm enjoying my day. The finish on mine is fine but then I don't use a magnifying glass to look for faults. It is of good quality.

It is unique, a one off, completely different, nowt to compare it to. Worth £50 tio those who took the risk until some of them think it is not, as with all razors. How many used iKon Slants are up for sale already? I think it looks like a £50 razor not least because it is so different.

Sm304 said:
Carl, I have just tried an iKon bulldog handle to see if it fit, perhaps one of your many handles may be better for keeping the angle, maybe a Weber Classic?

What a very good thought, Scott - you are way ahead of me. I think a Weber Classic would help tremendously. Leaving the question of what to put on the end of the mushroom, slightly bendy black handle. Only one thing springs to mind and it is spelt DLC so no surprises there!! The All Black Bendy Weber is born!!!

Oh no! My Webers and my iKons do not like the Razolution handle thread - almost like it but crucially not quite! The thinner iKon Classic is better suited than the Weber Classic imo - but the threads stop all that malarky! So do I have an M5 handle with a slightly dodgy thread or is the thread somehing other than M5? Any machinists lnow if there is anything very close? Nowhere near as obvious as the Fa Tip thread.

They're making shaving so complicated! I'm still trying to hold all of these at once![attachment=8587]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380118658.192735.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380118658.192735.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom