Problems Shaving

Yeah I remember some trepidation too. But with the blade loaded and safely secured it is a case of getting your face covered in warm water, a good lather and then try just a couple of light short strokes on your cheek. You can only cut yourself if you push or dig the blade in and I bet you'll be paying close attention so all will be fine.

You mention "the blade loaded and safely secure" - How do I know when this is done? Do I just place the blade on top and keep screwing until it won't screen any further... or is ther a "stop point"?

I'm going to have my first ever DE Razor shave tomorrow morning. It's going to be a Saturday morning, the sun (better be) shining, my beard will have had nearly two days worth of growth so it won't be too close to the skin to cause irritation and I'll have loads of time to get things slowly.

Now... what next? I watched some of Mantic's videos last night. He's shown how to use the DE Razor... starting against the face and slowly tilting the blade until I feel it on my skin. *I think* I know which way my hair goe so I can be sure to go WTG on every pass. I'm quite looking forward to it, especially since the Maca Root I've got gets good reviews.
The DE Razor I'll be using is just a cheap Boots own branded one (but it was recommended here for a first timer). The cream is the Body Shop Maca Root Cream and my brush is just a 50p Wilkinson's own brand one.

Shall I get any after shave balm or cream. I've found in the past the Gillette "sensitive skin" one actually just feels like it's burning through my neck, so I'd prefer to stay away from that.

I already know how I'm going to prep my neck with warm water (as I find I get more water on the floor from cupping my hands than I do on my neck), so I'll try a clean flannel.

Any further advice would be great :)

Amnesia180 said:
You mention "the blade loaded and safely secure" - How do I know when this is done? Do I just place the blade on top and keep screwing until it won't screen any further... or is ther a "stop point"?

Yeah, but don't get silly - you don't need stilsons or molegrips... finger tight is plenty. Get too enthusiastic and you'll screw it off completely.

Haha, that made me laugh. I had a vision of me using a bench and couple of vices :p

Thanks for the tip though, "finger tight" is a great way of describing it!

Amnesia180 said:
Shall I get any after shave balm or cream. I've found in the past the Gillette "sensitive skin" one actually just feels like it's burning through my neck, so I'd prefer to stay away from that.

I use aqueous cream - just ask at any pharmacy counter. It's about £2 or £3 for a large tube - fragrance free/alcohol free etc and ideal actually for those with eczema, so not harsh. I wash my face with it, use it as an aftershave balm, clean my teeth with it [no, I'm joking about the last one :oops: :lol: ]

It does the job cheaply and your skin feels really smooth afterwards.

Paul

There is a danger of overthinking things - you have received good advice and watched the videos, I'm sure it'll all be fine. Take your time and don't apply pressure and the rest will improve with practice. Most if not all razor heads do a good job to protect you from cutting yourself. I still use my boots razor sometimes and it is easy to manoeuvre around the face.

Witch hazel is good but by far the best for me is the Proraso pre and post shave cream (1 cream in a tub that does both jobs) is excellent at soothing my skin. Has a strong menthol kick and never fails to make ny skin feel better.

NotTheStig said:
There is a danger of overthinking things - you have received good advice and watched the videos, I'm sure it'll all be fine. Take your time and don't apply pressure and the rest will improve with practice. Most if not all razor heads do a good job to protect you from cutting yourself. I still use my boots razor sometimes and it is easy to manoeuvre around the face.

Witch hazel is good but by far the best for me is the Proraso pre and post shave cream (1 cream in a tub that does both jobs) is excellent at soothing my skin. Has a strong menthol kick and never fails to make ny skin feel better.

Agreed on the over thinking front.

Without wanting to sound rude, just get on with it.

We all tend to get a little verbose on the subject, describing routines and techniques in excruciating detail, but at the end of the day it is just shaving. You'd have to be pretty cack handed, or a 4 fingered mutant to do any real damage.

Wet your face
Apply a lather to it
Shave it
Splash something on it

Boosh.

I've been misquoted, but good luck and let us know how you get on. I'm sure you'll be surprised how well it goes and we're happy to answer any questions.

Apologies, I didn't mean to cause offence. But I do agree with you that I should just get on with it... I mean, it sounds like I've never shaved before... and secretly I'm probably thinking that this'll end up solving all of my skin problems (which I know it won't). However, I am looking forward to seeing the results of DE Razor.

I'm sure I'll be back with further questions after my shave tomorrow morning and more in the future when I start looking at new blades, different creams, better razors etc etc :)

No offence taken. We're a friendly lot on here. When you've been at it a few weeks and feel ready send me a PM and I will send you a selection of blades to try (known as a PIF) as a freebie.

Well... first shave with a DE Razor turned out......... fine!

To be honest, not scary at all haha. The skin felt smooth, admittedly not as close as I've had in the past with a "normal" razor but I think that is down to the fact that sometimes I thought I was shaving but wasn't... i.e: the blade was quite touching the skin so it just took the tips of the hair off.

I'm still pleased with the result, it did not seem to irritate my skin like I thought it would.

I'm going to continue shaving regularly and change the blade every 3 shaves (approx), with the price of blades I can afford to do this! Before, I'd try to drag out my gillette shaving heads for as long as possible haha.

Thanks for all the great advice on here, I think I'm definitely going to get a flannel for my face though as I noticed the water dried up rather quickly on my neck.

The lathering was pretty straight forward, I just kept adding water until it got a bit soft and frothy!

Again, thanks for all the great advice :D

Glad to hear it went well. Blades differ greatly, and some work better in some razors compared to others. You can enjoy trying the combinations for yourself as these preferences are personal to each shaver.

I havent been through the whole thread, but I am sure you have received all the advice you need.

So I have just one thing to add. It is a pleasure. Enjoy it. If you arent enjoying it, you are doing it wrong!

Back
Top Bottom