Problems Shaving

Body Shop Macca Root is a good place to start for a cream. Large pot, good value and very easy to lather. Will last a long time, only thing is there are plenty of products that smell so much better.

Experiment a lot with various creams/soaps/blades etc and techniques. There may be areas of your face you can just can't shave at a certain angle. Remember that next time you shave and try to work around that problem by trying a different angle or direction (e.g. shaving in a sideways direction).

Best of luck mate!

Throw the commercial crap out the window and join the big boys, for £20? you could have a half decent starting setup, nice razor, boar brush, few blades to try, a decent soap/cream maybe both, and probably a aftershave balm.

hi amnesia 180/ it sounds to me like you have posibly ingrowin hairs. firstly i really would take french blades kind offer you will not look back.theas plastic 5 blade jobs scrape along the skin and makes it red raw plus cuts the hair to short and then it grows back and some times long wheys and slightly under the skin then you get the soar red bumps and infection.
at the end of the day you only nead one blade so try french blades kind offer.i have sufer badly in my day but with changing my shaving rutine.i would use a hot towel then pick with tweezers the hair let it lose so to speak dont pluck the hair out.purches a good pree shave oil burts bees is good vit e/ which hazel.after the shave use which hazel let it dry.then use a soothing balm with natural oils in them again look up burts bees products.this will help and get better you will have break outs from time to time but you will be able to deal with them.if your neck looks really bad put a bit of your wife or girlfriends concealer just to tone the redness down.but thats a personal think.good luck and let us now how you ar getting on. :mrgreen:

quattrojames said:
Welcome to the forum!

You're probably inundated with useful information by now! I'd just like to add the importance of mapping your beard growth, once you know which direction your stubble grows in then you'll know how to shave it.
WTG - with the grain.
XTG - across the grain, and
ATG - against the grain.

Stick with WTG to start with, and perhaps a bit of XTG in the right places. Leave ATG until your skin calms down and technique improves, some people never shave ATG at all due to the irritation caused, I guess it all depends on skin type etc.

Enjoy the journey ;)

I'd like to second everything that James has said, especially mapping out which way your beard grows. ONLY after being on here for a few weeks and watching Mantic's videos on you-tube have I discovered that I have been shaving part of my neck the wrong way! With multi-blade razors and nasty aerosol ( arse-'ole! ) chemicals! Ouch!!!

No wonder I always felt like someone had chucked napalm in my face after a shave...........

If I was you I would bite Max's (FrenchBlade) hand off and have a couple of shaves with that Gillette, they are amazing razors and you will see what difference it can make, also benefit of the adjustable you can go as aggressive or sissy as you want, for example 1/2 you would really struggle to cut yourself so good for learning technique, when you want a beauty shave use 7 like myself it is amazingly close.

Hi All!!

Thank you all for the amazing comments.

Apologies for not being back on the forums. I've been out on business and my BlackBerry bombarded me with over 75 emails from my "forums" account from the past fortnight!

So that's why I didn't check back, as I didn't get any response notifications until today...

Thanks for the really kind offer of the razor, it would have been brilliant - sad to see it has gone already.

Anyway, I'm back now and ready to keep reading :) (Already looking in the new DE Razor section... as guess what, I've gone and got one :D ).

Many thanks,
Amnesia

I went with the cheap £3.77 Boots DE Razor... It was recommended as a good starting blade/razor just to see if I like that style of shaving :)

I have one and it is not bad. If you like it and want to try out any others go for something with a heavier head so there is less temptation to push down. The weight of the head resting on your face should be enough pressure. The boots razor doesn't have a heavy head but is well built for the price and you can get a good shave, in my opinion

I decided to go for it because of the weight etc.

I need to watch another video tonight as I didn't pluck up the courage to shave with it last night. I notice the gap between the blade and the base/top is rather large... I don't quite fancy getting it too close to my face without knowing what I'm doing, haha!

Back
Top Bottom