Preferred blended whisky

Twinnumber2 said:
A few whisky distillery tours i have been on recommends a spot of water. Reason being it opens up the aromas and enhances the flavour.
There's some truth in this, certainly. Laphroaig seems to benefit considerably from a few drops (literally), as do some others. I just forget to do it.

Arrowhead said:
Twinnumber2 said:
A few whisky distillery tours i have been on recommends a spot of water. Reason being it opens up the aromas and enhances the flavour.
There's some truth in this, certainly. Laphroaig seems to benefit considerably from a few drops (literally), as do some others. I just forget to do it.

Usually as the bottle get towards empty.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

missingskin said:
Mainly single malts for me, there is a very good shop in Soho that sells about 100 different whiskys.
If I have to drink blended
Monkey Shoulder or JW Black Label.
Always neat no ice no water.
Not keen on very peaty single malts though.............
May have to try Asda/Co-op ones though............ ;)

Is that the one through the little alley at the back of Foyles book shop fella leading into Soho Square.

Terrytoolpath said:
Any brand at all so long as it comes with a good dose of dry ginger

That's the only way i can drink it as well fella, cant stand the stuff straight. I persevered but its an acquired taste i just cant get on with on its own.

RB73 said:
missingskin said:
Mainly single malts for me, there is a very good shop in Soho that sells about 100 different whiskys.
If I have to drink blended
Monkey Shoulder or JW Black Label.
Always neat no ice no water.
Not keen on very peaty single malts though.............
May have to try Asda/Co-op ones though............ ;)

Is that the one through the little alley at the back of Foyles book shop fella leading into Soho Square.

Terrytoolpath said:
Any brand at all so long as it comes with a good dose of dry ginger

That's the only way i can drink it as well fella, cant stand the stuff straight. I persevered but its an acquired taste i just cant get on with on its own.

It is in Compton Street opposite the Italian deli. Go into the back of the shop and have a look. You may have to ask about some of them (the guys in the shop know their stuff), as they have either hand written labels or plain printed ones. Good place though, some eye watering prices if you have the money. But also some fantastic ones at sensible money as well.

My dear old Aunt M, god bless her soul, used to love a drop of Dimple and Something Special, both of which would usually be gifts. Faither certainly likes the Dimple but will drink most things if pushed (not very hard). Black Bottle & Grouse are often in the cabinet but he has a real fondness for Jameson's. The only thing Faither likes in his Whisky (or Whiskey) is more. I reckon he thinks there's no bad whiskey just some that are better than others.

Faither-in-Law has a wide palette too but can't stand Bells. If ever he was gifted a bottle of the stuff, it was used topically to clean cuts, grazes, spots and the like. Occassionally he gets handed a bottle of unnamed cask strength off the back of a lorry, so to speak. Ask no questions and ye'll hear no lies....

Back in the day when I partook, I enjoyed a drop of water in a blend which usually accompanied a nice ale. In the summer, two ice cubes to a couple of fingers of the water of life was more likely. Blended whiskey is much better in coffee and cooking though I was very fond of a wee nip in a cup of sweet tea. Malt wise, I most often drank Glenfiddich which is pale and flavoursome but I had a penchant for Laphroaig with a touch of water.

Never come across a blend I like more than the others, I'll just buy whichever is on offer now I'm brassic (but thirsty...). Mostly I end up mixing blends with Ginger Ale or Ginger Wine. If I don't have either I'll add a drop of water or rarely a cube or two of ice. I'll stick a tot in a highball glass and top it up with water for a nice refreshing glug, if there's no beer or cider available.

Chivas Regal 18yo - meh! smooth but indeterminate booze.
White and Mackay - started OK but by the time I was getting to the end of the bottle the caramel was becoming sickly.
Bells - DROWN IT IN A MIXER
Grouse - A little bit more flavour but still ends up with a mixer rather than water.
Grants - Another Meh! again mostly with a mixer but I have managed it with just water.

Mostly though I'd rather have a rum than a blend for the price of em.

chrisbell said:
Personally, my favourite blend is Baillie Nicol Jarvie (BNJ) - not as cheap as the known brands, but much nicer, IMO.

That looks like a very nice whisky, Chris - I'd not heard of it before now. I imagine it would improve ginger ale tremendously.

Currently I like Grants, Grouse and Bells.

I will be getting a bottle of White & McKay next time it is on decent offer. It seems to be a blend that many Scots themselves drink.

A Filipino friend of my brothers has gifted him several types of Johnny Walker as apparently it is hugely popular in that neck of the woods. I thought it was alright but I blanched when I saw the prices for a bottle in Sainsbury.

Value wise, Scottish blends are drawing me away from the beloved Jameson.

Any opinions on J&B (Justerini & Brooks) or Cutty Sark?

I like J&B, Jamesons and Bushmills. Tried Monkey Shoulder the other day, it was the same price as a malt but I thought it was just as good. My dad just mentioned the other day that you never see dimple anymore.

Back
Top Bottom