Porridge

heroblob said:
I put some in a bowl, pour milk on it, add a spoon full of sugar stir. Place in microwave and nuke. remove from the microwave pour a little extra milk on the top and allow to cool until warm and set like jelly. Then enjoy. Very good for you. My routine breakfast.

yep... close to how i do it.

-oats in bowl
-2/3rds milk 1/3rd water into the bowl
-pinch of salt
-small spoon of sugar

into microwave for 3 mins, stir slightly, and in for 2 mins more.

yum

Porridge great stuff even if some manufacturers can't spell their own product!
001157.jpg

I use a small plastic cup (a bit larger than an espresso cup) to measure 1 part oats to 2 parts semi skimmed milk, add a good pinch of salt and microwave for 3 minutes. Then stir in a desert spoon of golden syrup and add some cold milk, fantastic. My mother used to prepare it and leave it to stand overnight to soak the oats which gives it a bit of a creamier consistency, apparently, but I can't be arsed.

Jeltz said:
Porridge great stuff even if some manufacturers can't spell their own product!

I guess that's tongue in cheek....

The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) lists:

porage
porradge
porredge
porridge
porrage
parridge
parritch

And, sense this word is an altered form of pottage, poddish, those should be considered also.

Here are some "porage" citations from OED.

c1532 G. Du Wes Introd. Fr. in Palsgr. 1070 Ye have alredy eaten your porage.
1550 Lever Serm. (Arb.) 122 Hauyng a fewe porage made of the brothe of the same byefe, wyth salte and otemell.
1573 Tindale's Obed. Chr. Man Wks. 166 If the porage [1528 podech] be burned .. or the meate ouer rosted, we say The bishop hath put his foote in the potte.

So not wrong, just archaic. Not that Scott's is that old, they only came about in the 1870s/1880s...

I have a shed full of oats that I thought I would or should like, I could fatten up the beast for next to nothing and turn most of it into salami and charcuterie. :shock:

antdad said:
I have a shed full of oats that I thought I would or should like, I could fatten up the beast for next to nothing and turn most of it into salami and charcuterie. :shock:

That's what I usually say to Mrs PC when I want to get my oats.

Love the stuff. Haven't had it for a while, as we don't have a microwave. We're tempted to get one this year purely for porridge!

I make it with water and salt then add cold milk (love the hot/cold combo). Then, brown sugar, honey or maple syrup ... yum! Or make with 100% milk and add more cold milk and sweetener of choice.

It's very comforting and satisfying, and perfect for those cold mornings. Really warms you up and fills you up until lunchtime. :mrgreen:

John

Pigcat, i hope you're crushing those linseeds first, body won't digest them otherwise that's why flaxseed exists.

I use that plus some peanut butter on occasions, and a scoop of my favourite whey powder mmm.

Im enjoying tesco's finest fruit and nut porridge, huge rolled oats and a lovely fruit and nut mix. Better than plain oats anyway.

As far as plain porridge goes, i find mornflake superfast pretty decent.

Oh i practically live off the stuff, i just throw in whatever i fancy. Protein because im obviously hitting the gym, but nesquik is fine as is ground almonds or again peanut butter, could try cashew nut butter that stuff is lovely.

Or just throw in some fruit, can't believe most folk use just water and sugar, you can throw in pretty much what you fancy.

Back
Top Bottom